What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First Engine Start - RV-7 - N77PB

Sparky

Well Known Member
I accomplished the first engine start of my RV-7 after 8 years and 8 months of building today, November 30, 2014:

http://youtu.be/2i4-blU6CzE

No drips or leaks! It didn't start on first try because I didn't prime the AFP fuel injection system long enough. After more priming it popped right off on second attempt.

Location: Newnan/Coweta County Airport (KCCO), Newnan, Georgia.

Last edited:
Wohoo awesome! Great job Paul! Not many builders report such a success on Nov 30th :)

I started building the RV-7 in Minnesota, and it would be unusual to have a first engine start there on 11/30, but here in Georgia it would be more unusual in July or August. Weather was perfect here for first engine start - sunny and temps in the upper 60's:)

Congrats!!

Fantastic! Let me know how you like the prop. I have the same.

Congratulations on first start!!

Congrats! Engine sounded real nice. What engine and prop did you install?

The engine is an ECI Titan IO360-B1B assembled by AeroSport Power swinging a 72" Hartzell composite constant speed prop.

The combination seems to be really smooth on first impression.

Fantastic! Let me know how you like the prop. I have the same.

Congratulations on first start!!

Bill,

I've been following your progress as well.

So far, I love the prop. But the chord of the prop is so wide I ended up mounting the engine cowl as far aft as I could, and I had the coarse/high pitch stop adjusted from 32 degrees to 28 degrees to clear the engine cowl by slightly less than 1/2" at high pitch. I was able to have the coarse pitch stop adjusted locally at Sensenich Propeller in Gainesville, Georgia, while I waited, for a reasonable charge.

I understand that Hartzell now offers a "G" hub that extends the prop a little further forward to clear the Van's (or Sam James) engine cowl. When I purchased the prop that hub was not offered.

Last edited:
Paul, Congrats on the engine start. Let us know when you plan on your first flight. There are plenty of RVers around here . . . we would love to make an "event" out of it :D, especially if the weather continues to be as beautiful as it was today.

Back