What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Meet Casper

laughing

the last picture in the pool has me LMAO! that has to be photo shopped. BTW, in the earlier picture the flap, aileron, and wing tip is PERFECTLY straight.

RV-4 "Glider"?

Vlad: I looked the "N" number up at FAA.GOV and the registration is listed as a "Van's RV-4 "Glider"... so I guess VAN finally got his glider kits on the market! :)

Fly safe out there!

Doug Lomheim
RV-3A (Flying)
RV-9A w/13B (awaiting completion)

Vlads visit with Casper

So..I have no idea how my plane got registered as a glider with an O-320, but sure enough someone fat-fingered the data at Ok city I guess. Vlad's visit was a hoot !! I have fully re-stocked the supply of Steaks and Scotch in the event he drops in again (that's a challenge Vlad!). The story behind "Casper" is the graphics intended to go over the white were not on during the maden flight and it got coined "Casper", so that's the way it stayed.

Registered as a GLider?! Congratulations - you can fly it forever without a medical!

Just make sure you have a Glider rating with a Motorglider Endorsement in your logbook - otherwise, you'd hate to get ramp checked.

Is it a silly rule? of course! But hey, we didn't write the rule, and if the paperwork is right, you must be IN the right.... ;)

maybe if it said motor glider, i don't think the faa will miss the motor part of the 'glider'. ;)
WHISPER.jpg

Sterba

Yes Guilherme, its a Sterba. Great prop, performs very well for climb and acro, but I'm going to change it out some day for a little more prop in the future to get a few more mph on the top end.My cruise is about 165mph @2550rpm. I can still exceed 2700 rpm at 8-10k altitude easily. I cant remember for sure which pitch it is..maybe 72/68. I bought it used and refinished it.

the last picture in the pool has me LMAO! that has to be photo shopped. BTW, in the earlier picture the flap, aileron, and wing tip is PERFECTLY straight.

Yes, I bet Vlad did not know that the pool temp of 60F was too cold for locals.

I moved from south Alabama to Illinois in late summer. We traveled to Wisconsin and wanted to see lake Michigan. It was cold to me but there were people in shorts that went in the water at the "beach" I was wearing jacket.

Motorglider

Registered as a GLider?! Congratulations - you can fly it forever without a medical!

Just make sure you have a Glider rating with a Motorglider Endorsement in your logbook - otherwise, you'd hate to get ramp checked.

Is it a silly rule? of course! But hey, we didn't write the rule, and if the paperwork is right, you must be IN the right.... ;)

Before getting my RV I owned a Europa XS monowheel. The original builder registered it as a motor glider. I got my glider rating with a self launch and motor glider endorsement. And as said before...no medical required. It was just a glider with a very bad L/D component.

I would give serious consideration to using the regs to your advantage. It's all perfectly legal.

So..I have no idea how my plane got registered as a glider with an O-320, but sure enough someone fat-fingered the data at Ok city I guess. Vlad's visit was a hoot !! I have fully re-stocked the supply of Steaks and Scotch in the event he drops in again (that's a challenge Vlad!). The story behind "Casper" is the graphics intended to go over the white were not on during the maden flight and it got coined "Casper", so that's the way it stayed.

Bill thanks for hospitality! There were actually two Russians Bill accommodated.
Put your captions on this one :D

BTW Julian bought this machine...

Casper 3?

Hey Vlad / Bill,

That would be Casper 3 then! I have been flying Casper 1 (6A) since 2002, Doyle built Casper 1 in 2000, and then Casper 2 (7A) in 2003.

Pete

Back