What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Winter Flight to Key West via Lakeland from MS

Really enjoyed your video. Thanks for sharing. I just got my RV9 this past summer and enjoying the heck out of it. Great airplanes.
Angelo Lagonia
RV9
N14ZB

Great Video! Thanks for sharing.

I don't know why I posted on youtube, but can you tell me about your sun visor set up? Looks great.

Great video! Love this kind of stuff. For me just digging into my IFR course material it was really helpful. Thanks!

I've made that trip. It's a wide expanse of very shallow water, the kind that would give you no time to egress in a flip-over ditching event.

I formulated a plan in my head to trim for stall speed plus 2 mph, then jump out at 10 feet above sea level. Then abandoned the plan when I remembered you can't really jettison a tip-up in flight anyway - at least not mine. I resigned myself to drowning in 4 feet of water if the engine quit.

I'm not sure I'd do that leg again unless landing on US 1 was an option. But it sure was fun since I got away with it.

Looking forward to having rip-away gull wing doors in the -10 :D

BILL - I agree about that water leg. It was a little scary - our thoughts, if we had to ditch, was to open the slider immediately before water contact and make sure we went in right in front of a boat!

Back