What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Front gear leg fairing

cholladay

Well Known Member
After installing the front gear leg fairing I noticed I have to apply considerably more right rudder. I have adjusted it twice, which has not helped. I removed it again last night for the last time. I will either build a new one or I may just go without a front gear leg fairing. I see no speed increase with it installed, which may be a product of the increased rudder input.
I was curious if anyone else has had this problem?
and
Has anyone decided to just leave it off?

I purchased Geoff Colmes rudder trim system that I could use, but with the gear leg fairing off I really do not need to apply any rudder at cruise speeds.

Chad,
I would not just leave the front gear leg fairing off.
A slightly misaligned fairing on the nose gear can have a considerable effect on "rudder trim". This brings me to a point you might consider.
Some builders have successfully used the alignement of the nose gear fairing to counteract the need for a wedge on the rudder to trim for cruise flight.
It appears that your fairing is misaligned far enough where you actually need more trim not less.
Since this fairing is an inexpensive part and not a whole lot of work, I would consider fitting a new one.
The 10 even looks faster with all the fairings on ;)

Chad,
I agree with Ernst. If your existing fairing is causing you issues, use it to determine how far off you are by drilling new holes and experimenting. The nose wheel fairing really adds a lot to the looks and it does add some speed. I know when I added it on after flying for the first 10 hours, I noticed a slight improvement. I never did try to quantify it, but there was a difference. It should be extremely easy to fill the old holes, especially if it is not yet painted. I suspect if you need right rudder you would want to move the trailing edge of the fairing to the left. BTW, I noticed the other day while I was flying along and everything was trimmed and the ball was centered, the plane did an un-coordinated steep turn when I engaged the autopilot. Immediately following this incedent the ball moved to the right by one half ball width. I spoke with Vans after I could not find anything wrong. They Ken told me it was the nose wheel preload had loosened and the nose wheel and fairing had moved in the turn, but had enough tension not to return to neutral. I tightened the nose wheel back to spec and the problem was solved.

Back