What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Builders Get Together - Houston

Phil

Well Known Member
Hi Everyone. I've been working on putting this together for the Houston crowd for a few months. Mainly to get the Houston based RV-10 builders talking to each other. But why not open it up to other RV-10 folks in the state of Texas?

We have 15 RV-10’s either flying or being built in the Houston area and most of us don’t know each other. This is an opportunity to get the group together for lunch and to make a few friends with a common interest.

On April 9th I’m going to be cooking lunch at North Houston Business Airport (9X1 - formerly known as Williams). We can begin gathering around 11AM – but I’ll be out there much earlier setting up tables and food, etc.

If you believe you’re going to attend, please let me know how many. It’ll help me judge how much food I need to buy and prepare.

Also, if you’re not a 10 builder or driver, you’re still welcome to attend. If this is successful, we can try and have another one in the fall and hopefully put together a builders workshop for those interested in the techniques required to build an RV of any type.

Ramp parking at Williams will be tight so you should be willing to taxi and park on the grass. If it's been raining leading up to the event, let me know and I'll check the field out before you fly in.

Date: April 9th
Time: 11AM -> whenever
Rain Date: April 16th

These are the Houston builders I have been able to locate:

Name
Bill Gipson - Attendance Confirmed
Nick Nafsinger
Bill Hicks
Pat Thyssen - Attendance Possible
Hank Nolin
Dave Syverton - Attendance Confirmed
Phil Perry - Attendance Confirmed
Peter Lammers - Attendance Confirmed
Don Baker - Attendance Confirmed
Dave Murphy - Attendance Confirmed
Charlie Brown
Shannon Hicks
Bill Donahoe - Attendance Confirmed
Tom Biggs - Attendance Confirmed
Gaylon Koenning - Attendance Confirmed​

Interested builders
Bradley Kerr
Mark Griffith - Attendance Confirmed
Dave Macdonald - Attendance Confirmed​

Last edited:
Phil,
I really want to attend, but have our City Council Planning session that day until around 2:00 PM.

Do you think these may become a regular event?

Shannon Hicks

We will see how this one goes and then try and plan another if it goes okay.

I'd like to do a spring and fall gathering, but that might be a bit more planning and effort than I can sustain.

Phil

Hi Everyone,

Just and update on the gathering on Saturday. The weather is looking great with the exception of some wind in the forecast.

I updated the list above with the -10 builders who have said they're coming. I'm hoping we get some other folks flying in so we get a good mix of RV's and hopefully I don't have too much food left over.

On Monday I went and bought some food for ~50 BBQ Baked Potatoes. If you would like to bring a side dish (chips, breads, etc) that would be nice. I have five 8' folding tables and 52 chairs so we should be fine in those areas.

I will be at the airport to setup around 9AM if some of you want to show up early. A map can be found here:
http://goo.gl/maps/n6Q2

It will be very easy to find us on the field. There's only one way in and only one large hanger. You can't miss it, so do sweat those details.

I look forward to seeing you there. If you don't have my cell number, shoot me a PM and I'll give it to you.

Phil

Sorry I won't be able to make it but will be thinking about all you guys.

th_GradysPaintJob3Small.jpg

We're going to be missing you Russ. I'm hoping to plan another one when the fall weather gets here. It'll be a bit more organized and I'll give everyone more time to plan.

For those flying in, I walked the field this evening and its plenty firm for parking. Once you get on the ground we'll see if we can get someone to help you park.

I'll be on the field sometime between 9-10am.

Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Phil

Those winds are continuing to hang in the forecast. The good news is that the runway is 17/35, so it should be pretty close to straight on the nose.

Phil

High: 88F
Low: 72F
Winds: SSE 18mph
UV Index: Very High​

Last edited:
Very nice morning as of ~9AM.

The wind is starting to wake up we're beginning to see some fair weather cumulus clouds forming. But generally speaking it's a very nice morning.

Back