What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stick Grip Advice Needed

ShortSnorter

Well Known Member
I suppose I didn't fully think through my need for stick grips before I purchased two CS-8 grips. For those that aren't familiar the grip has 8 functions:

4 way coolie hat
two buttons on the face
trigger
index

I really only want the following functionality on my stick:

PTT
Trim
AP Disc

This leaves 2 buttons unused on my stick. I'm not sure I'm in love with just leaving the buttons unused. Does it matter if I leave two buttons not functional?

Any suggestions other than replacing the grip?

Doesnt matter at all.

If you decide sometime in the future to add smoke or ??? it might be nice to have the buttons.

Just a FYI. I am using the top buttons for comm freq flip/flop and for xpnder ident.

+1, add COMM flip/flop for Comm #1.

I’d leave the other as a “future use” spare. I do not use the blue pinky button on my Infinity Grip either.

Carl

Smoke - There’s a thought!

I suppose I could repurpose the stock harness (-14). I wonder if the GAD 27 could be used for the relay?

What I did..on a -4

I have HOTAS..hands on throttle and stick in my -4. This is elevator and aileron trim(4 buttons instead of Hat) and flaps which are 2 tall buttons. PTT is on the trigger button. I have smoke on the throttle, so I never have to take hands off the controls. Flip flop would be nice for radio, but my mission is more for the flying and trimming. Nice not to reach for flaps . I have a MAC grip.

Cs8

I went for 4-way for trim, either top button is an AP disconnect, trigger is PTT, small lower goes to low speed on the trim controller. I just found full speed on my trim controller to be too fast to not hunt for a happy trim at cruise. YMMV, good luck.

I ordered the CS-6 grips, but was shipped the CS-8 grips. Decided to keep the CS-8's and add two more "functions" for the extra buttons. Used one for Comm Radio Swap and the other for Active Radio Freq Swap. FWIW, I really like having these buttons now that I'm flying.

+1, add COMM flip/flop for Comm #1.

I’d leave the other as a “future use” spare. I do not use the blue pinky button on my Infinity Grip either.

Carl
FWIW I also have a button on my Infinity sticks for COMM-1 flip/flop. I also use the blue "pinky" button for the Transponder IDENT feature. Surprisingly enough both buttons are used quite often, especially when doing an approach in actual IMC.

After more than 900hrs of flying with them I am glad I did it this way and would do it all over again.

:cool:

Last edited:
I would stick with your selection. I think frequency flip flop is dangerous on the stick. It is too easy to accidentally switch frequencies which can have serious consequences.

I would stick with your selection. I think frequency flip flop is dangerous on the stick. It is too easy to accidentally switch frequencies which can have serious consequences.

+1

This happened to me a couple of times, fortunately on a VFR flights. Didn't even know that I did it. Couldn't understand why ATC didn't hand me off to the next approach control. Second time, I immediately removed the function, as I didn't want it to happen while on an IFR flight plan.

Larry

Stick grip

I have an Infinity grip that I really like. It fits my hand perfectly. I have it slightly rotated counter-clockwise to fit how my hand rests better. All of the the buttons are functional but two: the pinky (blue), lower thumb (black). The "china hat": forward: transponder ident; starboard: radio frequency list change; port: switch frequency; back: transponder code swap. Red: port landing light; green: starboard taxi light. Trigger: PTT.

That has been the setup for 1200+ hours and have never had an inadvertent frequency change or transponder code issue. My radio beeps when the frequency is changed which wound be a hint that that has happened. And I like having that feature on the "china hat". That has a pretty large "throw" and one has to be moving it purposefully to make it work.

I would "stick" :p with the grip you have. You will come up with functions for the remainder of the buttons. Or just leave them. You will like the grip as you fly. Besides the fact that they look pretty cool! I frequently use the black button to arm the Sidewinders and the blue pinky to fox them off......:D

Attached is a photo of my panel from years ago. The mEncoder has been replaced by a Dynon. The Trimble GPS is being replaced with an iFly. The rest is the same and I really like that panel.....

Michael............IMHO

Attachments

• img704ac.jpg
    img704ac.jpg
    499.6 KB · Views: 223
FWIW, I have three unused switches on my stick grip (China hat L/R, and pinky). I have them wired to a terminal strip so if I ever decide to use them they're available.

Maybe the unpopular opinion...

I'll throw this out there just because I do believe it and somebody may have a counterpoint to change my mind... This is the opinion of a current DC-9 pilot who knows about flipping switches. You can have too many buttons. The comm flip/flops... the starters... the flaps... the whatevers on the stick. I'll put this next opinion on its own line because it's true.

Nothing happens so fast in an RV that you need everything on your fingertips. If it is happening too fast, the problem probably isn't the airplane.

What happened to design simplicity? I have three buttons and I wish I didn't. PTT/Smoke/AP disconnect. Keep in mind, this is a full IFR panel. You don't need much if anything more. The KISS principle.

Am I in the minority?

Attachments

• 72360084_10107771522957612_7984239500551258112_o.jpg
    72360084_10107771522957612_7984239500551258112_o.jpg
    274.7 KB · Views: 219
Minority

Maybe, maybe not.

One thing is for sure, there is no right nor wrong setup; it is experimental aviation and everyone has different wants and needs.

I didn’t build my airplane for someone else, and I don’t expect everyone to like my choices but they are my choices.

Everyone is entitled to their own choices, it is too bad that there are some that seem to think their choice is the only correct one...

One thing is for sure, there is no right nor wrong setup; it is experimental aviation and everyone has different wants and needs.

I didn’t build my airplane for someone else, and I don’t expect everyone to like my choices but they are my choices.

Everyone is entitled to their own choices, it is too bad that there are some that seem to think their choice is the only correct one...
^^^^^ Very well said! ^^^^^

:cool:

Last edited:

I completely agree. I should have included that sentiment in my comment earlier. To each their own, for sure. But in an environment such as VAF where best practices seem to grow and spread to better this segment of the Experimental market, I've just found it odd that there are so many unusually complex systems. Some airplanes I've seen almost look like they require a type rating to use. I'm willing to bet the pilots might not be as proficient as they want or need to be with the equipment. In the interest of safety, I say simpler is better.

Perhaps you got the wrong impression from my post. I did not intend to imply that my solution was the only solution. My intent was to simply find a counterpoint to my opinion.

I've had two CS-8s in my machine since new and am in the process of replacing these with the Tosten MS grips which have a thumb button.

I like my setup so am just transplanting it to the new grips, but it came down to frequency of use,
Top Left - Autopilot Disconnect
Top Right - Comm Swap (this has happened inadvertently a couple of times, but Kevin @ Tosten assures me he has changed the buttons since I bought mine so that it shouldn't happen with new grips)
Hat switch - Elevator/Aileron Trim
Trigger - PTT
Index - EFIS Audio Alert Acknowledge
Thumb switch - Smoke On/Off

And it was a conscious decision not to have these on the stick...
Tx Ident - Not needed that often, and inadvertent activation would be more of an issue for me than inadvertent Comm swap
Engine start button - hopefully only used 1x per flight, so why waste a button for that...
Flaps - Again, not used that often, and my flap switch is on the panel next to the Throttle quadrant, so is really easy to activate with my right thumb

Just my 2c worth :)

...and

"...I'm willing to bet the pilots might not be as proficient as they want or need to be with the equipment. In the interest of safety, I say simpler is better..."

That may be absolutely true, however, it makes a very large assumption. What is simpler? If you are used to, or trained to fly with everything on the stick, then "simpler" may very well be "everything on the stick".

Myself, I have only trim, PTT, and A/P disco on the stick. Why?...because that is what I fly with EVERY day at work; it is comfortable and it is second nature.

Others, especially the MIL guys, may be conditioned for something else, and that is fine.

Regardless of what your choices are, proficiency is key...and you can be proficient with aircraft as simple as a Cub or as complicated as the Space Shuttle...

Sorry, The space shuttle is old tech now but you get the idea!

I suppose I didn't fully think through my need for stick grips before I purchased two CS-8 grips. For those that aren't familiar the grip has 8 functions:

4 way coolie hat
two buttons on the face
trigger
index

I really only want the following functionality on my stick:

PTT
Trim
AP Disc

This leaves 2 buttons unused on my stick. I'm not sure I'm in love with just leaving the buttons unused. Does it matter if I leave two buttons not functional?

Any suggestions other than replacing the grip?

I am using an Infinity Grip. These are the functions I used:

Coolie hat trim
Finger trigger PTT
Flap UP/Down switch
AP/CWS thumb switch

Unmapped:
Lower pinky switch
Upper right starter switch

rightgrip32.png

As usual - Great responses!

I've decided to keep the CS8 (mainly because I already have them). I'm not sure I really even like the grips themselves both asthetically and ergonomically, but I'm going to give them a shot. I don't need any more delays in getting this thing in the air.

I guess the lesson for me is: PLAN AHEAD!!! I will attest that the -14 plans are so well written and thought out that I was lulled into following the steps and having faith everything would work out.

I'm certainly not saying that things are not working out, but rather if I had a choice to do it again I probably would have chosen a different path.

Back