What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

reinforcement for pull knobs on aerosport carbon panel?

sritchie

Well Known Member
Hey all,

I'm getting ready to cut holes in the carbon side panels of my Aerosport 310 carbon panel, and wanted to ask y'all for advice on reinforcing the holes.

Did any of you back up the carbon with aluminum, or did you just run the pull knob directly through the carbon hole? I can see the carbon panel cracking and breaking down over the years - I can't find anything in the installation guide about making backing doublers, but thought I'd check here on best practices.

Thanks!

Hey all,

I'm getting ready to cut holes in the carbon side panels of my Aerosport 310 carbon panel, and wanted to ask y'all for advice on reinforcing the holes.

Did any of you back up the carbon with aluminum, or did you just run the pull knob directly through the carbon hole? I can see the carbon panel cracking and breaking down over the years - I can't find anything in the installation guide about making backing doublers, but thought I'd check here on best practices.

Thanks!

Most folks cut aluminum inserts for those areas. That will give you a more consistent look and feel as the other panel inserts.

While they are in front of the panel for cosmetic reasons, they also serve as a doubler.

Most folks cut aluminum inserts for those areas. That will give you a more consistent look and feel as the other panel inserts.

While they are in front of the panel for cosmetic reasons, they also serve as a doubler.

Bob, that's interesting - I hadn't been able to identify that on any of the pictures I've seen. You don't happen to have a shot of your insert, do you?

I guess you almost HAVE to do this, so that you can take the side panel off without disconnecting the cable all the way through.

I didn?t see a need for the side panel controls to be backed up, I use mine on the right for heat control, on the left for oil temp butterfly and alt air. Plenty of support and marginal slack to lay aside cover for access.

Bob, that's interesting - I hadn't been able to identify that on any of the pictures I've seen. You don't happen to have a shot of your insert, do you?

I guess you almost HAVE to do this, so that you can take the side panel off without disconnecting the cable all the way through.

All my photos are on mykitlog.com build site. Like I mentioned, the aluminum pieces were done more for cosmetic reasons that structural.

There is no need to back up the side panels.

Geoff

Great, thanks Geoff!

One more question for you... I noticed that my center quadrant console doesn't have any markings on it for how to cut out the hole for the quadrant. (This is for the 310 panel.) Do you have those dimensions handy so I can cut out that square? I'd eyeball it but I'm nervous about the alignment with the friction knob's exit out the right side.

Thank you!

All my photos are on mykitlog.com build site. Like I mentioned, the aluminum pieces were done more for cosmetic reasons that structural.

Bob, are the holes in the carbon panel sized for the control mounting nuts only?

That is the side panels can't be removed from the plane without disconnecting the entire control cable.

It should be scribed on the carbon fiber. If not we can email you a template

Geoff

Geoff, looks like Zac just sent me the template. It wasn't scribed in - this might be something to do with Stein clear-coating the carbon for me. Maybe the scribe marks were removed in the process.

Thanks!

Back