What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tight fuel Inlet hose to carb

jimevison

The fuel inlet hose to my Avstar Carb on a Lycoming 0 - 320 is forced to take a tight turn over the exhaust shield.
2dgreqe.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/r7rhg9.jpg

I'd prefer to use a 45 degree nipple into the Carb, entering from above to avoid the exhaust. Avstar doesn't supply a 45 degree nipple, does anyone know of a supplier or foresee any problems in making this change?

Last edited by a moderator:
whatever you decide to do, get the hose off the exhaust!!!!!!!!
Even firesleeved teflon hose will eventually fail if you leave it laying on the exhaust.
Tom

Same here

I used a 45 at the carb and it has been great for 1070+ hours now. I kept the heat shield in the mix at the closest hose approach to the exhaust, but it was not that close at all.

Fitting

I seem to recall Van's having 45's and 90's in stock. IIRC, they were less expensive than some of the other suppliers too.

It's good that you have the heat shield placed on the exhaust and I would keep it and the fire sleeve in place even after you've installed the angled fitting. If you ever run auto fuel that will help stave off vapor lock.:eek:

Check with Bonaco hose fittings . They advertise here on VAF . I also have a O 320 and use the 45 deg fitting and also a heat shield on the exhaust.

DWG OP-28 shows a 45* Elbow (AN823-6D) there that will buy you some space to miss the exhaust.

Lots of fittings

Fitting can also be had in steel from your local hydraulic hose supplier. Now people will claim these are low cost cheap Chinese junk.. yes well each to thei own opinion but I and others have used them extensively in both airplane and non airplane application. and never had one fail.

Of course being as they are steel they are much stronger than any aircraft aluminium fittings anyway.

If you have a local hydraulics shop nearby they usually have racks and racks of all kinds of fitting.

I have also made several custom fittings by cutting and welding them back together.. But then I am an adventurous sort..:)

Frank

Back