What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GDL39 Power Cable

Brablec

I'm New Here
I want to get ships power to my new Garmin GDL39 and Blue Tooth data to my Garmin 796. Garmin only sells a combination power/data cable. Does anyone know if just a power cable is available. The trick is the usb type connector at the GDL39.

I want to get ships power to my new Garmin GDL39 and Blue Tooth data to my Garmin 796. Garmin only sells a combination power/data cable. Does anyone know if just a power cable is available. The trick is the usb type connector at the GDL39.

Hello Brablec,

Page 5-6 of the GDL 39 manual identifies the GDL 39 to Cigarette Lighter Power Cable 010-11686-60 if you wish to use a CLA for power.

If this isn't what you were after, please let us know.

Thanks,
Steve

Ah, yes I see now, but is it available without the cigarette lighter plug or would it be ok to cut the plug off to gain access to the wires so I can hard wire to ships power?

Ah, yes I see now, but is it available without the cigarette lighter plug or would it be ok to cut the plug off to gain access to the wires so I can hard wire to ships power?

Hello Brablec,

Rather than buy a CLA cable and cut the end off, we would recommend you use the power/data cable and just not use the data connection.

The power data cable (P/N 010-11686-40) is designed for installations with a permanent connection to aircraft power.

Thanks,
Steve

Just a quick question before I install my new GDL 39 with a 696 and Dynon HS-34. I plan to use the pass through serial connection but need to know if the pass through works with the GDL 39 turned off? Thanks.

-John

Rather than buy a CLA cable and cut the end off, we would recommend you use the power/data cable and just not use the data connection.

The power data cable (P/N 010-11686-40) is designed for installations with a permanent connection to aircraft power.

Thanks,
Steve

Just a quick question before I install my new GDL 39 with a 696 and Dynon HS-34. I plan to use the pass through serial connection but need to know if the pass through works with the GDL 39 turned off? Thanks.

-John

Hello John,

The serial pass through feature of the GDL39/696 only works when both devices are operating.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve, GdL39 is working via Bluetooth to the iPad. I wired a Garmin data cable today (pins too tiny to make one!) nothing appeared on the 696. Does Bluetooth need to be turned off to use the hard wired data?

Steve, GdL39 is working via Bluetooth to the iPad. I wired a Garmin data cable today (pins too tiny to make one!) nothing appeared on the 696. Does Bluetooth need to be turned off to use the hard wired data?

Hello Nick,

No, you don?t have to turn off Bluetooth to get data through the cable. The GDL39 will support a serial link and 2 Bluetooth links simultaneously.

In our separate email, you mention you ?selected TIS on the 696?. The serial port will need to be configured for ?Garmin Data Transfer? as explained in Appendix D.

It will leap into action as soon as the wiring and configuration are correct. You can check your wiring against the diagram on page 217 of the Rev. G. manual.

Thanks,
Steve

Thanks Steve. My appendix D (in print) is much smaller than the current .pdf
Quite a bit of material has been added in reference to the GDL 39.
Now I am up to speed. The latest version always helps !

Bluetooth pairing when remote mounted

Steve any possible way to make the 39 pair with a new ipad when it is remote mounted. I understand this is possible with the R model. I will hardwire to my 696 but would also like to be able to pair with multiple ios devices on occasion.

Steve any possible way to make the 39 pair with a new ipad when it is remote mounted. I understand this is possible with the R model. I will hardwire to my 696 but would also like to be able to pair with multiple ios devices on occasion.

Hello Bill,

This should work fine.

As stated on page 4-3 in the Rev. H GDL 39 User's Guide, "When the GDL 39 is powered on, the GDL 39 will go into pairing mode."

At that time you can pair to a new device. The GDL 39R works the same way.

Thanks,
Steve

GDL39 working great

Used bare wire cable (good luck making one of these) and hardwired to my 696 with a pass thru back to the GRT and then to the AP. Everything works great. No UAT signal on the ground at 14A but by the time I was at 3000 it was picking up 4 or 5 towers. I have it on the dash right now but would like to hide it behind the panel. Has anyone used the Garmin antenna extension cable and just mounted the stock antenna either coming thru the glareshield vertically, or maybe laying on the glareshield horizontally near the windshield support bar (I have a slider).

Steve, does Garmin have any instructions or specs for mounting the stock antenna remotely? I feel you must as you offer the extension cable for sale.

I've got my GDL-39 on my dash with its rubber ducky antenna. A friend has his under his dash with a cable to a standard blade UAT antenna on his belly. When we're flying together he consistently sees more traffic than I do. If you're going to remote mount I'd use a regular UAT antenna rather than trying to reuse the rubber ducky. I'm currently installing an ADBS OUT/IN unit which will obviate my need for the GDL otherwise I'd switch to a belly mount UAT like my friend.

Back