What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tony?s (tkatc) RV-8 build continues

Dvalcik

Well Known Member
Sponsor
On this snowy Saturday, some of guys from PA got the opportunity to help Amy and Vlad move Tony?s RV8 project to the shop so Vlad can continue the build. The quality of workmanship Tony started will continue and we look forward to helping Amy and Vlad.

20130813 tkatc-0033.jpg

20130813 tkatc-0037.jpg

20130813 tkatc-0044.jpg

20130813 tkatc-0039.jpg

20130813 tkatc-0038.jpg

Amy & Vlad, I wanted to start a new thread on this project you and others can document the journey completing Tony?s dream.

Good for all of you

I will be watching this thread for sure:D.-----pretty sure I am not the only one who will be doing so.

I wish I was closer, would love to be part of this effort to make Tony's dream come true.

More photos

After a short 1 1/2 hr drive north, we arrived just in time before it started snowing heavier.

20130813 tkatc-0025.jpg

The recognizable yellow Russian vehicle :)

20130813 tkatc-0019.jpg

20130813 tkatc-0018.jpg

20130813 tkatc-0024.jpg

20130813 tkatc-0006.jpg

From the left, Al & Vlad (standing on the dolly) :rolleyes:

Vlad please keep posting the progress and I look forward to coming over to assist with the project.

Great adventure today thanks guys. We arrived in time heavy snow just started. How did you make it back Dave? It's a solid 2 hours drive.

I forgot my camera in the shop will post some pix tomorrow.

Hey Vlad, the pants go on the OUTSIDE of your boots. The only exception is with cowboy boots!!

Looks like fun - wish I was there.

Help

Vlad, if you need any help on the -8 I would be honored to give you a hand! Tony spent time checking out my -8 and it would make me feel good to be involved.

Vlad,
Is new workshop in Siberia? What is the white stuff on the ground?

On a serious note: VERY cool project you are doing. Tony would be proud!

This is really great guys. You are doing the right thing. Have fun and tell story's everyday you work on it.

This is a really neat act of love guys...big-time "RV/VAF family spirit"...well done!

Cheers,
Bob

This is a wonderful project -a fitting tribute to a great VAFer. I too am sorry I don't live closer to lend a hand.

TKs RV8

It's good for the soul to see this build continue. Great work guys! Vlad anything I can do to help just post your needs.
RHill

Moving TK RV8 accomplished.

David the move wouldn't be that smooth without you. Thank you very much. Thanks for bringing Al and Mark with you. Great help. Whoever loaned you that trailer pass my sincere gratitude. And thank you for lunch at Redington Diner. I swear the waitress was a real Russian and there was no set up. :D

Last edited:
We planned the move several weeks ahead. David procured a huge trailer and brought the members of his PA RV Gang. It's good to be David. David, if translated from Chukchi, means The Boss. Basically all work was done by Mark and I.

David and Al entertained ladies and dogs, opened and closed doors and mostly relaxed.

Then we drove for couple hours. David has a giant truck. A monster. I was barely keeping up with them in my Mini. I don't know if they were aware that number 95 on a road sign doesn't mean speed. It's an Interstate number.

Snow started but we already were at the destination. In last century David drove three wheeler taxi in India and he knows how to turn in tight spots on ice.

Unloading wings and fuselage was faster because everybody was hungry. Here Tony's RV8 fuselage and wings in a new home for couple years.

Today I drove to my airport and decided to take a look at the shop from the air. A tired Cessna girl was excited to see us.

But first I went on a geese patrol. Thousands of these flying creatures were blocking half of the runway. Airport manager worked all night plowing the runway just for them. Speed taxi back and forth along the runway scared them away and I was able to take off.

Here how shop looks from the air. Those planning to visit please note the location. Roof half thawed on a barn in the center.

Last edited:
Looks like a we have the "Right Stuff" guy in charge. If you need anything Vlad, let me know. Can't wait to see the finished project.

ps.... SkykingBob came in from Virginia to inspect my RV-18 :D

348rdz9.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice!

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help with the project. (I'm not rich but Tony was a really good guy and I'd like to see his project take flight). I was never lucky enough to call him a close friend but did email him some.
Best,
Brian

Vlad,

You have to let me know when you are putting in time I am ready to go. I have heard you have been doing some work on it. I know somedays its a one man job and others you don't have enough hands. You have my number don't be afraid to use it.

Tim

Vlad,

You have to let me know when you are putting in time I am ready to go. I have heard you have been doing some work on it. I know somedays its a one man job and others you don't have enough hands. You have my number don't be afraid to use it.

Tim

Sure Tim will do. It's been too cold in the shop for a couple weeks. I was looking for parts and studying the plans. Managed to assemble the wheels.

Vlad,

I know this weather has killed a lot of things and not just building plans but the roads and everything else. Anyway, the snow is starting to melt and hopefully nicer weather in the near future will allow for the project to make some progress. I thought for sure I was going to see a lot more done but didn't think about the garage temps being subzero. I hope your plans are in order again after moving everything to the new location and the game plan is ready to go into full speed.

As Tony would say and busting our stones, "What's the hold up? Are you guys rookies? I would've had this done already. HAHAHA

He has been making a presence on me lately. Hope to hear from you soon Vlad!

Everything is going according to the plan Tim. Some parts are ordered and we are in no rush. There is no good access to the shop still a lot of snow and other wave of storms is coming. I will keep you advised.

no update since feb?

Come on! i was reading intently :D

Thanks for interest Robert. The progress has been slowed. Between full time job and my own RV to fly the work on TK is mostly done after dark or on very early mornings. Plus due to farm expansion project the access to the barn shop is sometimes restricted. An automotive repair style lift is being erected close to the plane. So I am looking for another shop to move the project.

As of now the control pushrods are fabricated and sticks prefitted.

Wheel assemblies are ready.

The empennage is in the rigging process.

Roll bar is expanded and fits thanks Bruce for the jack.

A very nice transparent reservoirs were manufactured and tested by Noel Simmons of Blueskyaviation.net I haven't installed them yet still working on rudder pedals.

And the most important thing is Amy took advantage of Vans promotion and bought stock engine and prop combo. The priciest items so far are here.

Back