What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

cleaning oil

prkaye

Well Known Member
What's a good substance to clean engine oil off:

1) painted airplane parts (belly)? Just soapy water? Gasoline?

2) FWF parts (inside cowl, engine mount)?

3) smooth concrete hangar floor?

Last edited by a moderator:
simple green

Simple green works well, leaves no residue. Acitone works very well and does not damage, WAXED a/c finishes

when you say Simple Green, do you mean the Simple Green All Purpose Cleaner, or the Simple Green MAX Cleaner & Degreaser ?

I second Simple Green. You can use the regular stuff available anywhere for your floor, etc, ,,,,,,,,but for the plane I would only use the Simple Green 13405 Aviation cleaner as it is safe for aluminum. I love it for cleaning the belly grease and oil. Works fantastic! http://www.skygeek.com/13405.html

DO NOT USE GASOLINE or AVGAS.

Stoddard Solvent is the best engine degreaser going. I have found nothing better. Mineral Spirits, diesel fuel, kerosene, or Jet-A can be used in a pinch.

For the belly, sometimes one of the above solvents may be used on heavy stuff but typically good old fashion Simple Green from the local store (not the aviation variety) works great. I follow up after the Simple Green with plain water.

All the above work on concrete but there may be something better for concrete.

I like to use the weakest solvent that will get the job done. ALWAYS wear rubber gloves working with the above solvents and cleaners. (I sometimes skip the gloves with water.) I like the gloves they sell for paint and or washing dishes better than the latex variety.

We just had this discussion over on the 170 forums a few months ago: http://www.cessna170.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8038

Several of the guys over there swear by some stuff called Belly Wash.

For exhaust stains, I've had the best luck with the "aviation grade" Simple Green. For oil and grease, I admit to occasionally using 100LL, just because it's "on tap" at the gascolator, right near where I need it. Mineral spirits (stoddard solvent) is equally effective and much safer. Whatever you use, the wearing of gloves is a good idea.;)

...Several of the guys over there swear by some stuff called Belly Wash...

Just picked up some of this from AS&S. I'll report back once I've used it, but it might be awhile as I have a clean belly right now, compliments of WD40 (tip picked up from searching the forums here). It worked fine as well.

I had good luch using WD-40. it took the oil and exhaust stain off easily. I wiped the WD-40 off with mineral spirits. Give it a try.

John Ciolino
RV-8
N894Y

GUNK engine degreaser. Spray it on a damp rag, wipe belly, rinse with water. Rinse the rag in water. The grease is gone...... not even on the rag!!

Last edited:
Hey Ken,
Oil change is going fine (I've drained it but haven't put the new oil in yet). The reason for the cleanup is the oil that has been steadily leaking out of that fitting on my oil cooler - most of which appears to have ended up on the belly of my plane!

The (purple) simple green Pro is noncorrosive to aluminum and works well. You can get it at Lowes. The best method I have found is spray the purple simple green on the belly and then with a wash brush scrub with avgas. Oil can then be rinsed off.

Oil cleaning off belly

Simplest method, paint airplane black.

Just kidding, simple green works but don't get it in your eyes. Don't use acetone, MEK, or any petro products.

For the floor soak it good with Stoddard solvent and throw some floor dry over it. Might take a couple of times but it will suck all the oil off the concrete. Don

Back