What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mag timing app?

BlndRvtr

Well Known Member
Is there an app that replaces the old Flower-pot or Time-Rite means of determining crankshaft angular position for installing mags at the correct position?

George

Is there an app that replaces the old Flower-pot or Time-Rite means of determining crankshaft angular position for installing mags at the correct position?

George

You need to purchase this.... https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/topages/timing_ind1.php?clickkey=2986546
PISTON STOP FOR E25

And download this..... E-25 User Manual (PDF) it's on the same page as the part.

Get the app CLINOMETER. Use a yogurt container taped to your spinner. Tape your phone to the container.

Follow instructions in users manual adjusted for use with your phone.

George

You're running a Continental engine I assume?
The only other reason to use an alternate method on a Lyc is someone installed the flywheel incorrectly.

I'm dealing with the venerable Lycosaurous IO-320. However the cowling design makes access to the flywheel and starter or case split a most unpleasant task. So I'm looking for a shortcut.

Thanks for the replies.

George

I'm dealing with the venerable Lycosaurous IO-320. However the cowling design makes access to the flywheel and starter or case split a most unpleasant task. So I'm looking for a shortcut.

Thanks for the replies.

George

Once you have confirmed your TDC https://vansairforce.net/community/showpost.php?p=1511865&postcount=3

Take a bolt that just fits through a hole in the flywheel (you might need to wrap some tape around it for a snug fit) and grind a point on it. Stick it through a hole that is easy to get to and with the point against the front baffling, tap it with a hammer to make a small detent in the Sheetmetal. Take a Sharpie and circle the detent and the hole the bolt is in.

Next time you need timing confirmation, bring 1 up on compression, slip the bolt in the hole with a little pressure on it and rotate prop toward detent and the point will drop in and stop right on the money.

I also found that after confirming TDC, a 1/16" drill bit in the starter hole matched up with the timing marks on the front of the flywheel was very close also.

As far as checking the timing with a timing light. Do a search where I used the back of the prop to check timing by myself as I was seated in the aircraft.

Back