What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Factory Pick up

Eric P

I am currently planning on picking up my RV-10 QB wings, fuselage, finish and firewall forward this coming mid summer.

Crating charges for these kits runs up rather quickly, and my primary reason for the factory pick up is cost savings. At the same time, the crating is for kit protection during the shipping process. For me to fly up to the factory, and be back home by U-Haul is only a day or two of my time.

Those of you have picked up their kits at the factory, did you have all, none or any items crated? Would you do so again?

Thanks,

I have done it twice and did not have any crating done. It saves you money and it saves you time not to have to uncrate.
I will be doing it again for sure. A one way ticket to Portland, pick up a U-haul truck unless you have your own truck and a trip back home. Exciting times.

I flew commercial to Portland, got the U haul, drove to vans then home (Bay Area) in one long day (arrived home at 2 am). No crating, but do rent lots of blankets and have plenty of rope. Certainly saved a bundle of cash. Driving one of these trucks in the right hand lane also teaches you how bad the roads are!

I would also look into insurance, I read an article a few years ago about that. My take on it was get insurance.

I second the easy "will-call" process. I've done it a few times and the shipping folks have always had what I was picking up sitting out back on either pallets or an open crate. It's just a matter of driving out back (call to get gate access when you get there) and then load the items into your vehicle.

The last time I did wiil-call, I inventoried the kit as I put it into my truck and discovered I was missing a bag, which they were able to just bring out to me.

It's always been a good experience, and in non-pandemic times, you can generally swing a tour of the facility too. Definitely worth it if you're within driving distance.

Hopefully some of the savings are tax $$$! :D

-Marc

Not only will you be taxed at the time of your purchase, (Van's is required to collect for California) if you sell your kit later to someone in California, they will be taxed AGAIN for the same kit.

I am currently planning on picking up my RV-10 QB wings, fuselage, finish and firewall forward this coming mid summer.

Crating charges for these kits runs up rather quickly, and my primary reason for the factory pick up is cost savings. At the same time, the crating is for kit protection during the shipping process. For me to fly up to the factory, and be back home by U-Haul is only a day or two of my time.

Those of you have picked up their kits at the factory, did you have all, none or any items crated? Would you do so again?

Thanks,

Talk to U-Haul about a discount because you are returning the truck to the bay area...... My discount was 75% and that was way back when people were happy with CA...........:eek:

Back then, Van's loaded the U-Haul, and John Morgan took me to lunch.... a FREE lunch...:D

The taxes are something I will still need to figure out. If picked up at the factory, Van’s does not charge the sales tax. So, exactly when the State takes it’s pound of flesh is still something I need to work out.

The taxes are something I will still need to figure out. If picked up at the factory, Van’s does not charge the sales tax. So, exactly when the State takes it’s pound of flesh is still something I need to work out.
You will need to pay the taxes and there is a form for it but I don't recall the form number.

Otherwise, the State tax board will bill you later and there might be some penalty involved. This is what I got for my last kit and it was more due to lack of knowledge on my part about used tax in CA then wanting to skip it.

Anything purchased on-line is subject to used-tax.

Ask your tax adviser. Your tax is due on the year of the purchase. Keep good records throughout your build. Once the finished aircraft shows up on the county records, you will be asked again for proof of tax payment on all purchases of the aircraft parts.

Then you will be taxed each year for 1% of the value (they figure that) of your aircraft. So if you are proud of your $120,000.00 RV, it will cost you $1,200.00 for the year.

Pay the taxes up front and get it over with. Been penalized and it isn't fun dealing with it. I have had to pay taxes a second time on some stuff when it wasn't spelled out on the paperwork.
As for the crating or not. I had mine crated and yes picked it up at the factory as I only live an hour away. But everything was in a box as I hauled it home.
Now, I did but the whole slow build kit and caboodle start to finish at one time.
Small cost for the convenience of being in boxes and handling.
Art

Vans shipped my tail kit and it doesn't appear they charged tax. Is that state dependent? Am I going to have to pay tax on it when I register?

Does your state charge Use/sales tax????? Then you are responsible to pay it.
And yes they will find out when you register your plane. You get to pay current sales tax rates and fees per year on how much you didn't pay on.
It's a real pain in that private place.
Oh I live in Washington were the rate is 8.4%. Not fun but that's life sometimes
I'd hate to live in California where I am sure it is much higher
Art

crating

I'm fortunate enough to live near Van's. I didn't realize that not having items crated was even an option until I ordered my quickbuild wings.

I will have my QB wings and fuselage picked up by Stewart Transport. They have a special truck to transport plane parts. It saves crating and they charge less than the total of crating and conventional shipping. My contact was [email protected].
I do have a notice from Vans that all QB deliveries are on hold until an unknown "issue" is resolved.

I will have my QB wings and fuselage picked up by Stewart Transport. They have a special truck to transport plane parts. It saves crating and they charge less than the total of crating and conventional shipping. My contact was [email protected].
I do have a notice from Vans that all QB deliveries are on hold until an unknown "issue" is resolved.

I had Stewart transport my QB kits to me. They were awesome!

shipping cost!!!!!

Just got the call from Stewart. QB Fuse and Wings will be here end of the month. I had NO IDEA this was gonna cost me $4K! NO IDEA! Ive been planning for this for over a year. Read articles and web sights galore. I am totally shocked. there goes my avionics budget.

Where is this information hidden? This is something builders need to be prepared for. I saw the "crating" charge from Vans. Nothing else about a 3rd party fee. Too late for me- I think I would have gotten a few days off and rented the Uhaul...

Have you priced rental trucks?

Just got the call from Stewart. QB Fuse and Wings will be here end of the month. I had NO IDEA this was gonna cost me $4K! NO IDEA! Ive been planning for this for over a year. Read articles and web sights galore. I am totally shocked. there goes my avionics budget.

Where is this information hidden? This is something builders need to be prepared for. I saw the "crating" charge from Vans. Nothing else about a 3rd party fee. Too late for me- I think I would have gotten a few days off and rented the Uhaul...

Just for grins, I estimated what this would cost you to do yourself. Airline ticket PIT-PDX $250, Penske Truck Portland to Woodbury $2500, Gas (12 mpg, 2600 miles) at least $900, hotels and meals for 4 days $600 - grand total $4050.

I think you are coming out ahead by letting Stewart do this, plus if they damage your kit during transport - it’s on them.

Ask your tax adviser. Your tax is due on the year of the purchase. Keep good records throughout your build. Once the finished aircraft shows up on the county records, you will be asked again for proof of tax payment on all purchases of the aircraft parts.

Then you will be taxed each year for 1% of the value (they figure that) of your aircraft. So if you are proud of your $120,000.00 RV, it will cost you $1,200.00 for the year.

I know this is a year old, but just to clarify:
In CA the sales/use tax is due in the year of purchase, as stated. You can get the form from the state and pay directly, or, there is a line on the CA income tax return, to put in the use tax due from out of state purchases the past year. Either way works.
The 1% annual tax mentioned is a county property tax. It is assessed as of Jan 1, due in august, each year that you own the CA based airplane. Note that your pile of parts does not become an airplane until you have your airworthiness inspection. If the county tries to collect earlier than that, you need to set them straight. Note that an airworthiness inspection any time on or after after January 2, 2022, the property tax is not due until august 2023

Property tax

The 1% annual tax mentioned is a county property tax. It is assessed as of Jan 1, due in august, each year that you own the CA based airplane.

Minor point of clarification on CA property tax, although the County collects the tax, it's 1% for the state, and then whatever additional "ad valorem" and Special Assessment the county adds for wherever the aircraft is "domiciled". e.g. at Byron (C83) the tax rate for this year is 1.0854%. Not a game changer, but everyone wants to get their slice of the action.

Thanks Katanapilot! I see the error of my thinking. Just wish this would be discussed more at time of purchase. “Crating” is mentioned. “Shipping not included” was never written, said, or implied in all my communication. Just seems sneaky.

I paid it. I’m waiting for the truck.

Wait... I paid for Amazon Prime, are you saying Vans doesn't accept that?

I am waiting for Van's to have a distribution/mfg point right next to Aeroperformance/AircraftSpruce here in downtown Ft. Worth, then I think we would have it made!

With Aeroperformance nearby, most of the time I don't have to make the decision of whether to wait to order so I can save on shipping a bundle of parts, or go ahead and order 1 part now and 1 later to not be stuck from moving forward...

Wanting to get something done, and not having the parts on hand is the biggest time/productivity killer I run into...

Thanks Katanapilot! I see the error of my thinking. Just wish this would be discussed more at time of purchase. “Crating” is mentioned. “Shipping not included” was never written, said, or implied in all my communication. Just seems sneaky.

I paid it. I’m waiting for the truck.

Seriously, you thought that Vans was going to ship a bunch of big crates for free? Seriously?

Back