What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Airworthiness Certificate after registration change

Daveflier

I purchased an RV-8 in March from the original builder. I received approval to register and affix an N number I had previously reserved. On the approval paperwork, the FAA stated that I had one year to get a new airworthiness certificate.
After making appointment at the FSDO, I received the following email from the inspector who I would be meeting-I was to furnish the following:

o Aircraft MTX Records / Logbooks

o Pilot Logbook / License

o A copy of the Airplane Flight Manual to include a listing of the Aircraft “Required Placards”

o A picture of the Aircraft displaying the Required “EXPERIMENTAL” placard on the Airplane (Ref. 45.23(b))

o Time (Hours) and Cycles on the Aircraft

I emailed the inspector and told him I would have to cancel the appointment as I could not comply with the following:

1. An experimental aircraft does not require a flight manual

2. Not since my military/airline days did I have any avenue to find out how many cycles the aircraft had

3. Since this is an airworthiness request, what interest does the FAA have in my pilot logbook.

4. Besides EXPERIMENTAL what decals is he talking about.

In the past, I have changed N numbers on aircraft, and after a 15 minute visit to the FSDO I walked out with a new airworthiness certificate.

After I cancelled the appointment a supervisor contacted me asking to reconsider my appointment cancellation. I told him I had a year to get an airworthiness certificate and I now needed a Much needed FAA breather...I’ll try again next year.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

Meeting with the FSDO

If you'd like to knock out the appointment:

1. Aircraft MTX Records / Logbooks - this will show you have a current condition inspection, 500 hour magneto inspection and have complied with all ADs on your engine and prop.

2. Pilot Logbook / License - this usually required when applying for things with the FAA...it's basically a ramp check.

3. A copy of the Airplane Flight Manual to include a listing of the Aircraft “Required Placards” - bring the Ops Limits with everything filled in, take pictures of the cockpit with everything labeled.

4. A picture of the Aircraft displaying the Required “EXPERIMENTAL” placard on the Airplane (Ref. 45.23(b)) - this one is easy.

5. Time (Hours) and Cycles on the Aircraft - It is usually time or cycles, so the log books and a recent flight log, or maybe your log book if you are the sole pilot of your RV, should be a good indicator of the aircraft total time.

6. Email pictures or PDFs to the guy you are working with at the FAA before the appointment, to pre-approve the documents. If everything is right then you'll feel better about going in to sit down and will make things quick too.

They may have sent you a form letter with stuff still included since they are used to dealing with certified aircraft.

Last edited:
Number change

I was also forced to get a new airworthiness certificate when I applied for a number change.
I was dealing with FAA staff that were totally unfamiliar with experimental aircraft.
They insisted on using a computer generated format for a new certificate.
They didn’t know what they were doing and I had to keep asking for them to correct serious problems in the new certificate, such as not being allowed night flight, being able to carry a passenger. After about three hours of back and forth the new certificate was finished.
Couple of days later I get a call from them that they neglected to get a signature on my paperwork, but being their error they offered to drive up to my airport to have me sign the paperwork, about an hour plus drive.
If I had to do it all over again I would have just kept my old tail number, which is now on an Aeromexico 767.
Dave
N601XP

Going through the same process with the Washington DC FSDO. So far they've been very easy to work with. The person I'm working with is extremely helpful and even looked over everything before I hit the SUBMIT button on their website. I had to scan & upload copies of the Registration, Old Airworthiness, Logbook entry showing N number change, and finally, Op Limits. I'm still waiting for whatever the next step is, so maybe I'm being overly optimistic at this point. Best of luck to you. My old N number is still available so if this blows up into a big deal I can still go back...I think.

A DAR makes this a painless process.

I agree. Bite the bullet and hire a DAR, you wont regret it.There is NO consistency between FSDO's regarding experimental aircraft. I chalk it up to lack of education on the part of the FAA. You are just asking for trouble getting the FAA involved in anything unless it is absolutely necessary. The list of horror stories is endless. Do not get me wrong, there are terrific folks at the FAA, however you just never know what to expect.

A DAR makes this a painless process.
FWIW, I had a great experience with the Atlanta FSDO when I changed tail number and they issued the airworthiness certificate.

Also, once you get the airworthiness certificate don't forget that you will also have to update/change the Operation Limitations. Your current Operation Limitations do not apply to the new tail number.

Last edited:
FWIW,
Also, once you get the airworthiness certificate don't forget that you will also have to update/change the Operation Limitations. Your current Operation Limitations does not cover the new tail number.

This is correct. Since the Operating Limitations are a part of the Airworthiness Certificate, any time one is changed, both must be changed to show the current registration number and the date of issuance.

The new date of issuance will begin with an "A" as it is an amended certificate.

I purchased an RV-8 in March from the original builder. I received approval to register and affix an N number I had previously reserved. On the approval paperwork, the FAA stated that I had one year to get a new airworthiness certificate.
After making appointment at the FSDO, I received the following email from the inspector who I would be meeting-I was to furnish the following:

o Aircraft MTX Records / Logbooks

o Pilot Logbook / License

o A copy of the Airplane Flight Manual to include a listing of the Aircraft “Required Placards”

o A picture of the Aircraft displaying the Required “EXPERIMENTAL” placard on the Airplane (Ref. 45.23(b))

o Time (Hours) and Cycles on the Aircraft

I emailed the inspector and told him I would have to cancel the appointment as I could not comply with the following:

1. An experimental aircraft does not require a flight manual

2. Not since my military/airline days did I have any avenue to find out how many cycles the aircraft had

3. Since this is an airworthiness request, what interest does the FAA have in my pilot logbook.

4. Besides EXPERIMENTAL what decals is he talking about.

In the past, I have changed N numbers on aircraft, and after a 15 minute visit to the FSDO I walked out with a new airworthiness certificate.

After I cancelled the appointment a supervisor contacted me asking to reconsider my appointment cancellation. I told him I had a year to get an airworthiness certificate and I now needed a Much needed FAA breather...I’ll try again next year.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

I am a DAR for the MIDO and FSDO. Yes, there are times where you can get the fSDO to inspect the aircraft at no charge. Many who go this route have regrets due to the time awaiting the inspection, or the inspector having some heart burn with an item, resulting in a letter of denial. I recommend using a local EAA Tech Counselor if available to pre inspect the aircraft, and then use a local DAR to issue your certificate. ALSO.... Since July 1, 2020, all applications for a C of A are on the FAA "Portal" called AWC. It is a work in progress, and like anything else, will hopefully get more user friendly in time. The application (8130-6) is generated in the portal, the other documents can be uploaded as a .pdf; jpeg, or xls. I have a certification process letter that explains it all, if requested.
Documents to be uploaded:
3 view photo or drawing
copy of registration
weight and balance
program letter
faa form 8130-12 (notarized).

Regards,

Gary

Need some clarification

I’ve read the replies about having a DAR re issue an airworthiness certificate.
I want to make sure I understand.
The aircraft was issued an airworthiness certificate in 2012 by the original DAR.
I purchased it in 2019. Are you saying I can pay a DAR at this time to re inspect the aircraft and issue a new airworthiness certificate?

How do you find a DAR for AW cert. changes? A search at the FAA website yields no results. Surely there is a DAR in the Omaha, NE area, yet the FAA site say none.

George

FWIW, I had a great experience with the Atlanta FSDO when I changed tail number and they issued the airworthiness certificate.

Also, once you get the airworthiness certificate don't forget that you will also have to update/change the Operation Limitations. Your current Operation Limitations do not apply to the new tail number.

Agree!. I used the ATL FSDO once, but I knew the inspector to be experimental friendly. Great experience. BUT, a whole bunch don’t don’t even know how to spell EXPERIMENTAL!

Thank you

Thanks to all who replied. The advice was well taken, especially Galin and Mel.
I did get the airworthiness certificate at the FSDO after patience on both sides, and reminded them about the operating limitations for which I was clueless until those two gentlemen educated me. That was taken care of also.
This forum is definitely a valuable resource.

Back