What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

tires, now and later

Bill Boyd

Well Known Member
The 10 will be going up on gear soon, when the wheels and brakes from Matco get here in a couple weeks. I have in my shop new tires from the factory for the nose and mains - I guess they're the standard Chinese jobs, haven't looked in awhile.

My plan is to end up with Desser high-performance / elite retreads in all three spots, and I will want to mount my wheel pants accordingly.

My question is whether it makes better sense to mount the tires I have now, set the pants with spacers to anticipate the larger retreads when the factory originals wear out, or sell the Van's tires in the classifieds (is there a market?) and start out with the Dessers. On a turf home field, the originals might last a disappointingly long time :rolleyes:

I switched to retreads when I wore the cheap Vans tires out and I had to trim the wheel pants back to accommodate the new tires when I changed. Not a big deal even after paint. Just make sure you give plenty of clearance for the new tire. I used a 3" cutting wheel. I have always started with the Vans tires so not to waste them. I would replace their tubes with leakguards. I have had terrible luck with Vans tubes.

Last edited:
When you get to the point in the plans where you put the little block of wood on top of the tire to space the pant, I made that block of wood 1/2 inch taller.
That made the pant have more room for the Monster retreads and also gave me more bottom lip clearance for non asphalt runways.
You get more clearance, more visibility of the tire itself for inspection, plus, I just think it looks better than the low riders and doesn?t seem to be any less aerodynamic.

This I shall do, then.

Off to Desser to order some long stem 90 degree valve tubes.

Retreads when the Chinese cry uncle :)

Back