What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Modifying Dimple Die

Jarrett

Hey folks, I'm wondering what's the best way to reduce the diameter of a 1/8 dimple die. I'm currently dimpling flanges for my 14a fuselage and some of them are too small for my current die. I'm assuming the best way to do this would be with my bench grinder, but I'm not sure which wheel would do the safest job. Thanks!

It only needs to be narrowed down on one side, with a flat face, I did this on a belt sander.

You can get small diameter female dies from Cleaveland tools. I find these work well when the hole is close to a rib flange, but then grinding down one you've already got would be cheaper.

It only needs to be narrowed down on one side, with a flat face, I did this on a belt sander.

I did this too. Just be careful not to take off too much (not that I learned the hard way or anything). A quick polishing on the deburring wheel and it's shiny and looks like it came that way.

Jarrett, that's good, you can even take off a bit more if you need the clearance from a flange, see attached pic, it will still work fine.

Attachments

• 20210105_073701.jpg
    20210105_073701.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 181
Here's my 2 cents. .I put a marker stripe down the opposite side, so when the dies ate in my squeezer, I can verify that they are facing the right way and haven't spun a little. .

Back