What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What Type of Fuel Hose to Order

PhatRV

Well Known Member
I am about to order custom fuel hoses for my RV8. Scanning the Aircraft Spruce website, there is a myriad of fuel hose materials and I don't know which is the appropriate type to chose. Is it okay to pick one type of approved aviation hose because it will be replaced at 8-10 years down the road anyway? Or am I overthinking this simple problem?

Thanks.

So what if I want to make my own hose, what type of hose and what fittings I should use to make it easiest for the DIY builder?

So what if I want to make my own hose, what type of hose and what fittings I should use to make it easiest for the DIY builder?

Been there, done that. Threw them away and ordered from Tom. It's one of those things that takes a fair bit of repetition to get it right, and you'll go broke trying to teach yourself versus hiring it done.

PTFE speed seal hose & fittings

I have been using PTFE speed seal hose, with aluminum speed seal AN flare fittings. I usually purchase the hose and hose ends from ANplumbing.com. The speed seal hose and fittings are easy to work with to make your own hoses. The finished hoses look really good too.

Don't waste your time or money or good curse words! Just call Tom Swearengen at [email protected] and he'll save you a lot of time, they will be done right, and he always stands behind his work. When you do it yourself, will your hoses be pressure tested and guaranteed? No financial ties, just a happy customer!

Pros and cons

I bought all the stuff to make my own hose from a variety of places. They were pretty good, but once I saw the hose with the integrated firesleeve, I had to have that. Can't do that at home, it seems.

Save time and money

Ok ....another vote for Tom at TS flightlines!!! I made hoses and realized I should have just used Tom in the first place ....so garbaged them and went Toms hoses ....search this forum and you will find out VERY important on fuel lines !
I have made literally dozens of hoses for race cars BUT a gas is a different animal ...TOM has the right products
There is a reason this message reoccurs here ...best products , very reasonable price and unparalleled customer service ....do yourself a favour and call Tom

Thanks for all the replies. I decided to custom order my hoses from one of the advertisers here. Regarding the Vans catalog, it either has hoses that are too long or too short. Its FF kit includes hoses was designed before the fuel transducer becomes ubiquitous.

If you are putting a fuel flow sensor on it you'll have to cut it to install it so keep that in mind.

Speaking of: does Tom (or anyone, for that matter) recommend a time limit to change hoses, either aircraft time or calendar time?

I’m not Tom, but based on other recent posts from him, he recommends 8-10 years for rubber lined hose. Teflon hoses have no lifetime limit.

Erich

Back