What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel leak repair options

grantcarruthers

Well Known Member
Right tank developed a significant leak today, Good drip per second at its worst. I drained the tank and let it dry a few hours before I removed the fairing. This is what I found. Appears to be the access panel screw around 2 o'clock.

So, reseal that one screw with the fuel tank in place or pull the whole tank, remove all screws and the plate and reseal everything. I just placed it unofficially on the market and flew with a very interested buyer today. Both he and his wife are very interested so I'm leaning towards the complete removal and complete reseal rather than attempting to just seal the offending screw. Downside to that is the paint repair that removing the tank screws will likely necessitate. Buyer is aware of these options and not worried about the paint much at all.

So, I'm strongly leaning towards the tank removal and complete reseal unless someone can detail a very reliable in place repair of the leaking screw.

Thanks very much for any advice and experience with the fuel system. I bought, didn't build so would hire out the repair most likely.

Also, I don't have the build plans so diagrams detailing tank removal and reinstall would be very much appreciated too. Seems obvious to this untrained eye but no trust in my untrained eye.

Attachments

• IMG_5500.jpg
    IMG_5500.jpg
    272.5 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_5501.jpg
    IMG_5501.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_5502.jpg
    IMG_5502.jpg
    274.9 KB · Views: 109
Grant,

I just did both sides on our RV-8 about six months ago. I did not pull the tanks. Seems that it's kind of like the primer wars....equal numbers say pull the tanks versus don't pull the tanks. In my case, it was completely do-able without pulling them. I pulled the plates and senders out, cleaned up all of the old gasket/sealant and then put them back in using only proseal. I also replaced the screws with allen heads so that removal would be easier next time. Do a search and you'll see lots of info and pictures. It's a little messy and a little uncomfortable (for an old guy like me) but again, it's completely do-able. Also, it looks like you, like me, only have the gaskets installed. If that's correct, removal will be simple as you won't have to cut through old proseal.

Looks like the cork gasket is in need of replacement. As is the rubber seal for the fuel quantity sender. Best option would be to remove tank and reseal the access plate with proseal. And at same time do the same to the sender. Also would be wise to install allenhead screws, In place of the old screws.

RD

Just replace the cork gasket if it’s only the plate leaking

Well, if your looking for options, I have had success removing the plate and replacing the cork gasket. No need to remove the tanks to accomplish this. I like the suggestion of using socket head screws for re-assembly. Not really that tough a job.

Unless you have a leaking tank seam, I would not remove the tank.

Good luck,
Peter

Thanks very much everyone. I absolutely love the allen head idea and pro seal without removal. Nothing lost if it doesn't work and I go back to do it with the tank removed.

I'll do some more research before deciding and inspect the left too

Back