What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Starter gear sticking on ring gear

Mongoose

I seem to be having a problem with my starter disengaging from the ring gear. I already had the starter replaced when it wouldn?t release when the engine started. I thought it was my starter solenoid but now I think there is another issue. Should I lubricant the ring gear? Is it perhaps too tight and I should make a shim to pull the starter a little away from the ring gear? Any suggestions appreciated. This is a RV-14A with a standard IO-390.

First step is to ensure you have the right starter tooth count. The starter ring gear can have (trying to remember off the top of my forgetful head) 122 teeth or 144 teeth. If the starter gear is the wrong count for your starter ring, that's gonna cause problems.

I?m sure the tooth count is correct. I?ve got about 50 hours on the plane now and it works fine most of the time. I also get a little burr in the ring gear teeth (top of the teeth) on the engine side. I?ve filed those off in the past but doesn?t seem like that should be happening.

Douse the starter bendix shaft with spray silicone. That drive gear needs to slide easily. Silicone won't attract dirt like oil will. To check the mesh of the teeth, you should see minimum of .060 between top of drive gear tooth and the valley between ring gear teeth.

Back