What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

my entry for dumb question of the year

SgtZim

Well Known Member
It's just bugging me and I'll probably find out when the finishing kit gets here. Why does my lower aft skin have the big hole just aft of the left flap - like the hole for an 8A where the step goes?

:confused:

Are you talking about the wing, or fuse??

The 8 uses a wing mounted fresh air intake IIRC. Could you be talking about this?

Same skin for 8 or 8A

It's just bugging me and I'll probably find out when the finishing kit gets here. Why does my lower aft skin have the big hole just aft of the left flap - like the hole for an 8A where the step goes?

:confused:

The newer kits use the same lower aft fuselage skin for both the -8 and the -8A, and the hole for the boarding step is pre-punched. On the -8, this hole ends up inside the flap fairing and isn't visible. I recommend covering it up from the inside with a thin piece of aluminum, however.

Skylor
RV-8

Thanks Skylor - exactly what I was wondering about - I didn't think the fairings would cover that far out but I guess the 8A guys have to cut a hole in the fairing.

Is there any reason why the step could not be installed in the -8?

It seems like it might not be a bad idea for ease of entry and passengers might be less likely to step on a flaps.

I've seen the steps installed on a -9, for just that reason (ease of entry/exit) but it looks wrong to me somehow.

Back