What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Swivel flush set

DaleB

Well Known Member
After seeing everyone recommend the swivel flush set I finally bought one a couple of months ago in anticipation of riveting the fuselage. Over the past few days I tried using it, and I have to say it's been an unqualified failure. Every single rivet I have tried to set with this thing ends up way proud of the surface, like enough to slip a fingernail under the factory head. It seems to me that the rubber lip around the set is way too stiff, and isn't compressing enough to let the face contact the skin and rivet head. I've tried using as much pressure as I can without bending the skin.

I have to go find the invoice and see where I got this thing so I can see if they'll take it back. Has anyone else had this problem? Maybe I just got a bad one. I can't imagine anyone being able to actually use this thing.

10100.jpg

needs some minor customization

Dale, tape a sheet of sandpaper to the bench, put the set face down on it and sand down the rubber lip until it is nearly flush with the set. Once you have done this it will drive rivets beautifully and you will not want to get rid of it. It is nearly impossible to mis-drive a rivet with this set once you have modified it.

Dale, tape a sheet of sandpaper to the bench, put the set face down on it and sand down the rubber lip until it is nearly flush with the set. Once you have done this it will drive rivets beautifully and you will not want to get rid of it. It is nearly impossible to mis-drive a rivet with this set once you have modified it.

Exactly what Sam said. I initially had the same thoughts as you, Dale. Once I sanded the lip down, it became my go-to set. I've probably driven 95% of my flush rivets with this set with great results.

Are you sure you're pressing the gun against the skin with enough force to keep it from bouncing when you pull the trigger? Mine worked fine without sanding and I used it successfully for thousands of rivets.

If you do decide to sand it, maybe take a little bit off and test it to see if it helps. If it doesn't, sand a little bit more. My thinking is that perhaps there are some variances in the stiffness of the rubber or the amount the rubber sticks out beyond the set.

Are you sure you're pressing the gun against the skin with enough force to keep it from bouncing when you pull the trigger? Mine worked fine without sanding and I used it successfully for thousands of rivets.

If you do decide to sand it, maybe take a little bit off and test it to see if it helps. If it doesn't, sand a little bit more. My thinking is that perhaps there are some variances in the stiffness of the rubber or the amount the rubber sticks out beyond the set.

+1 I got mine from Avery - it worked fine too. Maybe there are differences between manufacturers. Nice to know there is a fix, though.

I literally own so many rivet sets that it fills a whole drawer in my sheet metal tool box. I saw some of the work Jon did on his -10 empennage and was very impressed how smooth the surface turned out adjacent to the rivet rows. His "secret" was one of these large area swivel sets. I bought one and it is by far the best tool that I have bought during my build.

You will need to carefully sand down the rubber ring to prevent high rivets.

Used with success.

I didn't need to remove any of the rubber cup. I do however put one layer of blue masking tape on the face though. Try turning down the air pressure. Like others have said the gun may be bouncing from too much pressure. Pushing too hard with the bucking bar will also cause the rivet to move toward the shop head. Don't give up; practice.

Well, it turns out it wasn't my technique or the air pressure. :) Thanks for the suggestions to sand down the rubber. The end of the rubber 'cup' was pretty hard, almost like a urethane. Not having used one before I thought it was odd, but since it was a brand new tool I didn't think much of it. After I took off about 1/16 it's nice and pliable, and I can keep it on the rivet without undue pressure. I ended up sanding down about 1/8, maybe more. It works fine now. I wonder if the rubber was exposed to something that affected it, or if it just didn't get trimmed or something. It definitely shouldn't have been that way.

It really doesn't do anything any better than my larger flush set with the rubber ring around the face, but it does fit in between closely spaced clecos better. Another tool in the tool box. I think it will be easier for a novice helper to use, too.

I seem to recall Bob Avery used to sand down the rubber guard on the swivel rivet sets he sold before he dispatched them.

It really doesn't do anything any better than my larger flush set with the rubber ring around the face, but it does fit in between closely spaced clecos better. Another tool in the tool box. I think it will be easier for a novice helper to use, too.

Much better for a novice, or even an experienced builder who is riveting in the blind while holding something in place with one hand and the gun with the other. ;)

Buchanan's #3 and #4 helping Dad rivet with the swivel set:

wing-99.jpg

fuse-56.jpg

(Wow...has it really been 17 years...........)

The reason for the swivel set is to eliminate the need to have the gun precisely perpendicular to the work to prevent damage to a skin. This is not a major issue for an experienced riveter but a major advantage for anyone with less than perfect technique (me.....).

Last edited:
Looking at the picture I don't remember mine having that much overhang or the rubber and I did not sand mine. There is no way I could have riveted my wing skins by myself without this tool. One of the better rivet sets I like the swivel part. Other rivet sets you have to keep pretty square this one gives you a little lead way.

Swivel Rivet set

i wouldnt be without mine, like the other posters though I spent a few years compiling a tray full of used Ebay sets.

I did notice on the photo one thing. When I went to Sun N Fun I went to a workshop that suggest holding the rivet gun with the MIDDLE finger on the trigger. WOW did that help hold the rivet gun steady. Much better than using the index finger.

I didnt have to sand my rubber down on my swivel set but it does work fine.

Good luck

I did notice on the photo one thing. When I went to Sun N Fun I went to a workshop that suggest holding the rivet gun with the MIDDLE finger on the trigger. WOW did that help hold the rivet gun steady. Much better than using the index finger.

I started doing that with my air drill a while back. It does help keep it straight. I'll have to remember to try it witht the rivet gun. If it cools off a little tonight I'll be doing some more riveting.

Back