What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Don't forget these flap bolts.

bret

Well Known Member
Like I did, time for disassembly, so if you are at this step, install the heim, washers and hardware on WD 613 EF before installing into fuse. UGG....
20140126_152525_zpsc3c5e1d9.jpg

I turned mine around. There was enough room (barely) on my weldment to not hit the skin with the threaded end of the bolt.

Thanks for the laugh! I did forget them and had to remove the torque tube to put them in. Of course that was long forgotten until I read your post.

PS. It was good to see torque seal on all your nuts.

Mine are turned around too. You might consider it as this is a great place to disconnect the flaps during annuals and such.

Agree!
Turn it around and then you can easily remove it for ever after.

Another place that comes to mind is the bolt holding the nose gear on an A. The plans show from the bottom but then you battle to get the washer and nut on. Drop it in from the top and the washer and nut is easy to get on.

Another place that comes to mind is the bolt holding the nose gear on an A. The plans show from the bottom but then you battle to get the washer and nut on. Drop it in from the top and the washer and nut is easy to get on.

And you can get the nose gear leg off without removing the engine mount from the firewall. Bolt will not go in from bottom on my 6A with engine mount bolted on.

I don't recall exactly, but I think if the actuator is disconnected, the torque tube will rotate far enough to make enough space to install the bolt from the outside, as the sidewall tapers. Even so, I prefer the inside solution.
- Roger

I installed my flaps on my wings this weekend and put the bolts in per plans. It was pretty easy to take out the 6 long bolts that hold down the plastic blocks, then move the weldment enough to get the bolts and hardware in the holes.

I turned the bolts around

put some poly tube on the rudder cable to prevent sag. you should do this for either bolt orientation.

Probably wouldn't hurt to replace it with a low-profile head or a hex-flange. How much does the shank stick out in the inboard-head configuration?

Back