What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Want a better pull rivet type dimpler. copper pins break!

ron sterba

Well Known Member
Making doubler plates for my antennas.need to dimple bottom skin on the RV9A. Not finding the pull rivet type dimplers ( two dimple dies and copper pins) effective on bottom skin. I'm using a new Arrow rivet puller. The copper pins keep breaking with little dimpling effect. Is there a screw /nut type dimplers that would be stronger and more effective?

Ron in Oregon RV9A

Thanks

Nails were what came with my Avery Tool's Pop Rivet Dimpler. Always worked well. Didn't know there was another option. Here's a picture from Avery's website.

24.jpg

I made holders for my dimple dies from 5/8" bolt stock (shank without thread). THe dimple dies sit in these 1/2" holders and I can use C clamps, pliers, etc. to dimple sheet stock already installed. When I did my ant. doubler, I used these holders and used the rivet gun and bucking bar to make the dimples. Quick and simple. Just use a low pressure to avoid having the male dimple bounce out and damage the tip when it re-joins the female die.

Larry

Thought I was going to have to buy more

Well seems I have been in the blind on this one. #2 finishing nails it is!!! It already sounds like a stronger pull. Ill give it a try this afternoon. Thanks GUYS!

Ron in Oregon RV9A
N421HJ

The copper pins are not meant to finish out the dimple. Only to get it started, because they are more accurately the diameter of the hole. The nails are used for finishing out the dimple. You can go to Cleveland tools website and watch a video that explains this. Hope that helps

Thanks Mark and Bevan. Cleaveland tools video very helpful. Thanks . I was wondering about shank diameter the pins. Just heard on the radio that national alert system. It's calling for hazardous weather in the Portland Oregon area.HAIL STONES! Got to go.

Thanks guys. Ron in Oregon

Or dissemble a pull rivet to obtain the steel stem. Works pretty good in a pinch.QUOTE]

Correction. The last time I did this, I did NOT bother disassembling the pull rivet first. I just used it as is. Worked good.
Bevan

Dimple dies pulled with 2" steel nail

Today i used a 2" 6D bright finishing nail instead of the copper pins and it worked PERFECTLY! Just one solid squeeze and it was set! Thanks, finished them off in just a few minutes. Did use 3 nails for the 10 holes.

Much appreciated!
Ron in Oregon

Back