What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Why did you pick your N Number ?

When I finished my HP-18 15 meter glider in 1989, the FAA assigned N996S. When flying in competitions, gliders use a two or three letter identifier so I used 96 Sierra. I love the way it just rolls off the tongue.

So as I progressed thru my RV-6, RV-10 and Rans S-20 and my wife’s mixer, I stuck with any number I could reserve ending with 96S.
(Sorry for the rotated photo)

Attachments

• 789215CD-D8CF-4356-B43E-1274B73D396F.jpg
    789215CD-D8CF-4356-B43E-1274B73D396F.jpg
    405.1 KB · Views: 107
Has anyone recently reserved or renewed a reservation? How long is turnaround? Was told three weeks but I’m out over 6 now.....

Our first name initials and the year completion of our RV-4. That would be 31 years ago and despite also owning and flying a Pitts S1S and a Laser, my love affair with my four has never diminished. :)

Common for RV8s?

I haven't read the entire thread, but have to imagine there are many RV8s that start with N84 (An 8 for) and some initials. I have reserved N84 with 'LW' for myself and 'SW' for my daughter for our -8 build.

If my daughter (now 11) seems as interested in flying when we complete the build as she currently is, it will have her initials and I'll give it to her at some point.

RV 8

I was able to put N931KZ under reservation for my RV 8 under construction. I’ve been a part of the 931st ARW for 10 years and we fly under the Kanza call sign. Looking forward to to flying into KIAB with an aircraft that I built!

Last edited:
Looked for months to find one I liked

N20GL

Finished and flew in 2020
Wife is Ginny
I am Leo

All the ones I wanted are already taken. The first one I reserved was my username here (N804RV). But, since then I also reserved N10KW. Can't decide which one it'll be yet.

Aircraft serial number starts 747.

The kid's initials were taken, some aircraft manufacture already had 747BC, the nerve of them.

The wife didn't seem impressed with me using her initials.

For personal reasons didn't want to use my initials.

So I ended up with 747XS.

2 ways to look at it, I am either flying an Xtra Small 747

or for when experimental aircraft had an 'X' in the numbers and last name initial 'S'

My Dad was a big Meyers guy. He owned an OTW since the 60's and had a 200 for about 20 years. He put thousands of hours on both and restored each. N233M was part of a block of numbers originally reserved by Meyers but never used. It had his intitial and rolls of the tongue easily.

N number

At my age I have had a lot of N numbers. I flew a twin Beech for years and the N number was N711. I had a Supercub that was 19FM, my anniversary
and our initials. I had a L19 Bird Dog that was N19BD another bird dog was N13FM. A RV6A that was N752JW, Judie Won. And finally my current N number for my RV6A is N6711, very easy to say seven eleven, even I know it should be seven one one. I waited for years to find the last three numbers, finally a Howard 250 let it expire and I got it. The local FSDO wanted me to fly off another 40 hours because of a N number change, but I took it to a higher authority and got it done.

I've had mine reserved for three years. Just got the Aircraft Registration, and the plane moves from my shop to the airport next week.

My N-number... N144P

The plane is an RV-14.

I'm a Grandpa.

"Experimental One Four For Papa"

:D

Back