What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cutting hole in existing bulkhead

Hey folks--first post!

I recently decided to get into the building game by purchasing a mostly complete RV-10 tail kit and plan to "retrofit" some popular mods I've seen other builders do. One in particular (overhead ventilation from fuselage NACA ducts) requires holes to be cut in the top of the forward tail cone bulkhead for SCAT flanges. I assume most folks do this before the bulkheads are riveted but that's not an option for me. Any tips on the best technique for getting clean holes in an already constructed bulkhead? I was thinking about a using a drill-mounted hole saw with the bulkhead backed with scrap wood.

Thanks in advance for what I'm sure will be more questions.

Mike

Hey folks--first post!

I recently decided to get into the building game by purchasing a mostly complete RV-10 tail kit and plan to "retrofit" some popular mods I've seen other builders do. One in particular (overhead ventilation from fuselage NACA ducts) requires holes to be cut in the top of the forward tail cone bulkhead for SCAT flanges. I assume most folks do this before the bulkheads are riveted but that's not an option for me. Any tips on the best technique for getting clean holes in an already constructed bulkhead? I was thinking about a using a drill-mounted hole saw with the bulkhead backed with scrap wood.

Thanks in advance for what I'm sure will be more questions.

Mike

That would work fine. I used a Greenlee punch, IIRC.

If you do use the hole saw, once the pilot hole is drilled, replace the pilot drill bit with a smooth shank from perhaps a bolt. It wanders less that way because the smooth shank doesn't cut sideways.

Dave

Thanks for the suggestions. Those Hougen saws look sweet! Just picked up the tail this past weekend and after staring at it for awhile realized that--duh!--the F1006D bulkhead doesn't get riveted until empennage attach so I can easily remove it and work on it on my workbench/drill press. Might go the fly cutter route but will probably practice on some scraps first!

Back