What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Big Pilot 8 vs 14

Hello all, new builder here getting ready to buy my first tail kit. I'm 6' tall and wear 42" Jeans. Built like a defensive lineman, lol.

I understand the technical differences between the two planes and I'm trying to decide between a fastback 8 or a 14. If I divide the 14's cabin width by two it is much less than the width of the 8. In my Cherokee, the seats can be moved so that my passengers shoulders aren't right beside mine which buys lots of room and comfort I find. This would be difficult to do with the 14 though.

I'd love to hear from larger 8 and 14 pilots...what plane is more comfortable for long XC's?! Pics of you in your plane would be great if you've got them. Feel free to PM me if you wish.

Thanks!

Big feet

So 6' is obviously no problem. And your math is correct. But since a rear seat passenger in a RV8 straddles you like on a motorcycle, you neglect to account for two big feet that will be on each side of your 42 inch hips in a RV8. So what you really want from an RV8 owner is a photo of a big pilot with one size 12 athletic shoe on each side from a rear seat passenger.

Im a big guy myself and the 14 fits, however you won’t really be able to “stagger” the seats for shoulder width as you mentioned. The same bar supports both seats. I guess it would depend on the size of your intended passengers. You really need to find one locally that you can climb in.

I just bought an RV-8 fastback. I’m 270/offensive lineman stature. My friend, 290 and bigger than me, was accommodated in the back seat (with appropriate fuel) for my checkout flight.

And he’s somewhat claustrophobic...

Not a real problem. He said he was a lot more comfortable than he thought he’d be. And I didn’t feel crowded with his size 14s on the rear seat rudder pegs.

I’m *very* comfortable in the front seat with my lineman/bricklayer shoulders.

So, another opinion worth what ya paid for it. LOL.

Have fun!

Try to go sit in both of them.

And, FWIW, you can stagger the seat backs in all the SBS RV's by putting one seatback full aft, and the other one full forward. There is about 4" difference at the shoulder level.

Also, take CG into account in your various scenarios.

Seriously, if you can: "Try before you Buy"..............

The 8 hands down! More personel space and you are at one with the machine unlike side by side where you are simply not balanced!:) Also you arrive first at yr destination!:D

Last edited:
My son and I have owned both. First an 8, then a 7 and now back to an 8. I buy my clothes in the "farm boy" section and the RV-8 just fits me perfectly. We've loved them all but both of us are ex-Air Force pilots so the centerline seating just feels right,

Pat, note the Showplanes fastback kits replace the standard cockpit rails with rails not quite so wide, the result being more shoulder room.

Fastback relocates the roll bar to between the seats. Can't overstate how useful it is as a handhold climbing on and off the wing, and for entry and exit, both seats.

BTW, I'm 6-2, 220, 36-34's, size 14's. I love my -8. Go with ground adjustable rudder pedals, not inflight adjustable. More room to move long legs on long legs ;)

Attachments

• Mom In and Out.jpg
    Mom In and Out.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 187
Depends. I've told several pilots that are looking to get in to an RV to look at their mission and their flight habits. Look at your log book if you keep a good comment section. If you see that you fly alone 99% of the time than look at the model that suites your needs. That may be an 8 if you want to sit center fuse or even 6/7/ if you like to utilize the space next to you, or even a 9 if you want to have space next to you and do more cross country and no interest in aerobatics. My point is that many people (me included) buy airplanes on how roomy or comfortable they are because we think about the few times a year that we want to load it up with loved ones or friends. I bought a 6 passenger Cessna 310 hoping that my family of 5 would enjoy flying with me and had grand plans on going on many vacations.... in 13 years of owning that plane, that happened 5 times. Then I got my RV7 and it seems that I have someone next to me 50% of the time.

Again, take a real good look at the history of you flying with someone else. If you fly with a spouse or a family member or friends more than 50% of the time, then buy a plane that makes you both comfortable. But if you are by yourself 90%+ of the time then buy a plane that enjoy flying and don't worry that it will tight the other 10% of the time.

Just some food for thought - - - especially after Thanksgiving meal, I have lots of food for thought :D:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back