What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How to check for parasitic drain

Flyyak

Well Known Member
Friend
I think I have a parasitic electrical drain. If I do not fly my RV7 for several weeks, my battery seems to have drained down. I have used PC680s and now have a LifePo4. I have killed a couple of PC680s, one by inadvertently leaving the master on, the other by age and unknown reason, it just died. I am now very careful to make sure the master, avionics master and all other switches are turned off before I leave the hangar.

I have a FT50 clock/voltmeter/G meter that is attached to battery but I understand that it has a very minimal drain. The only other hint is that I hear a very slight noise if I plug in my headset before starting. My avionics are controlled by an Avionic master switch and all other electrical equipment is controlled by the master switch. I still make sure all other switches are off after each flight.

The alternator charges as it should, 14.4 v.

Is there an easy way to check to see if I have a parasitic drain on my electrical system after all switches are off?

Small multimeter that can handle an amp.

Disconnect battery, put the meter in series at that spot.

Start pulling breakers and disconnecting power leads one at a time. Check current each time. A helper saves scrambles.

Back