What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flap control switch

JackinMichigan

Well Known Member
On our RV-10 we have only one place that the flaps can be activated - a small switch on the pilot's control stick. Knowing how mechanical switches sometimes fail I want to have a backup method for engaging the flaps.

When I go on the VPX screen on the G3X there's a place I can engage the flaps, but it's not tied to the pre-programmed flap positions that are activated by the switch on the control stick. The flaps run continuously up or down for as long as I press the button. I want to add a touch screen button somewhere that will engage the flaps just as they would if I was using the mechanical switch. Preferably on the main screen, but I will settle for anywhere easily accessible. Anybody know how to do this?

The only way to do that would be for the EFIS manufacturer to write software for it. The VP-X flap control is there as a fail safe if your flap switch breaks. If you have a flap position sensor, which is required for the preset positions to work, you have to just hold the button until the indicator reaches the desired position on the screen.

Cautionary note -

When I go on the VPX screen on the G3X there's a place I can engage the flaps, but it's not tied to the pre-programmed flap positions that are activated by the switch on the control stick. The flaps run continuously up or down for as long as I press the button. ...(snipped)

A note of caution with using the VPX UP/DOWN buttons on the EFIS. As mentioned this mode of operation reverts to 'momentary' (it only moves when and as long as you hold the UP/DOWN button), but it also has no flap extension overspeed limit normally provided by the VP-X interface via the POS-12 position sensor. Pay closer attention to the airspeed when extending the flaps in this mode.

There is a benefit to this method in that you can manually override the POS-12 and overspeed limits, for example if the configuration is set incorrectly and flap extension is inhibited by the VP-X setting. (Such as Phase 1 testing and flaps won't extend at ANY airspeed >1 kt when using the normal flap switch.) Tested OK on the ground run-up, but not functioning when airplane is landing. Yes, a no-flap landing is an option but this trick will work.

On our RV-10 we have only one place that the flaps can be activated - a small switch on the pilot's control stick. Knowing how mechanical switches sometimes fail I want to have a backup method for engaging the flaps. SNIP.

I offer this is example of using something like a VPX adds unnecessary complexity for straight forward functions.

On my RV-10 both pilot and co-pilot have Infinity grips. For the trim and flaps, I have a DPDT locking toggle switch on the panel that selects either the pilot or co-pilot to have control of trim and flaps. The DPDT switch simply provides the stick common ground for the functions. The primary reason for doing this was to protect against the non-pilot sitting in the right seat from screwing up the trim or extending the flaps. The secondary reason is the co-pilot grip now provides a back if the pilot grip switch(s) fail. This never happened on either of my planes but it could.

I used the Van's Flap Postioning System and like it. For trim I used the Safety Trip product and recommend it as well. For the RV-14 I helped with and the current RV-8 project I'll be using the Dynon SkyView AP module for the trim switching functions and for AutoTrim.

Carl

Back