What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Single or dual brakes?

KazooRV-9A

Well Known Member
Patron
I'm working an RV-9A build, and currently have single brakes at the left seat.

What are the considerations you have determined, for installing single or dual brakes?
Is it a mistake not to have the dual setup?
Or are they just never used enough to justify the added expense/weight?

Thoughts/opinions?

Thank you!

Andy C.

I have them in my 7A and have practically not used it ever, or at least that I can remember. However a few times that people have expressed interest in buying my plane, the dual brake has been a plus and some thing they wanted. This is not to say that it will be hard to add them later.

If you don't have a parking brake the second set can be useful for a passenger to hold the plane still while you put chocks in during a windy refueling stop.

Easier to do now by far. If you ever want to or have someone taxi, take off or land the plane from the right seat brakes on that side might be considered a good option. Larry

I've trained in aircraft with no brakes in the other seat. When I was a CFI I obviously preferred a set on my side too if possible for added safety. Come time to sell it would only be a positive point to have them. That said, I don't have them in the back seat of my 4.

Just do it.

My 2cents... If you have them and never use them...nothing lost. If you don't have them and need them...different story. There are lots of reasons why you might need them (mostly listed already). The difference in weight, hassle, and cost is really minimal at the time of the build. Not so much if you try to retrofit.

I put dual brakes in my 9A and am very glad I did. Teaching my kids to taxi is a bit hard if they can't turn the airplane. Flying from the right seat is not even possible without the brakes. Oh and in the unlikely situation where somebody in the right seat has to stop the airplane because the left seat is not able to ....

I originally had only one set of brakes, on the left side. But I will be doing my pilot training soon, and I want to have an instructor in the right seat for those hours. That, and the consideration of a possible emergency some day, where the person in the right seat might need to land the plane or taxi it, made the decision to add brakes to the right side an easy one.

I used 1/16 inch cables to operate the pilot side brakes from the passenger side. Nothing to reseal if not used, nothing to leak. Cheap and easy. A little welding... a little thinking. A plus is a parking brake with a lever, pulley and a spring.

Just to keep ahead of the question, 1/16 inch cable has a failure point of 500 pounds. Way more than you can apply with your toes.

I installed both the right side brakes and a parking brake and don't regret either.

Then again, I will fly from the right seat when I want to give someone the full RV experience.

It helps to have your passenger step on the brakes when you are parked on a slope and have to remove the chocks.

Worth it to me... but then, I don't have a parking brake and most of my passengers are either ppl holders or a student (my GF)

I'm working an RV-9A build, and currently have single brakes at the left seat.

What are the considerations you have determined, for installing single or dual brakes?
Is it a mistake not to have the dual setup?
Or are they just never used enough to justify the added expense/weight?

Thoughts/opinions?

Thank you!

Andy C.

Andy, put the second set in you will thank me later. I planned and installed one set of brakes thinking selfishly I will be the only controls manipulator. Wrong move. There will be situations down the road when you have an instructor or another qualified pilot you trust to fly from the left. Only selected few fly my RV from the left seat. With another set there would be dozen more.

Back