What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Parachute choices

rv8ch

Well Known Member
Patron
What kind of chute works best in the RV8? I guess it kind of depends on the seats, so any advice there would be welcome as well. Thanks!

Butler Parachutes

Hi again Mickey,
We ordered a custom LoPo 450 backpack unit from Butler. It's rated at 285lb @ 150kts and weighs about 16-20lbs. I used it throughout Phase I without the seat back cushion and didn't notice it after getting in. It's only about 2in thick so ingress/egress wasn't much different either. I don't have an intermediate stop on the canopy and I can reach it easily without the chute, but with it I had to stretch a little. Happy to tell you I can't report on how well it works, but reading through all their testing reports on their website made me very comfortable with my decision. Give Tom Fowler a call at 540-818-1350 and he'll get you set up. Let me know if you have any questions.

Good luck.

P.S. Still working on getting the website updated. I'll keep you posted.

Parachute expert

Call or write this guy:

http://www.pia.com/silver/ShopInfo.htm
http://www.pia.com/silver/articles.htm
http://www.pia.com/silver/hints.htm

He knows chutes and knows sport planes.

Your choices are:

http://www.strongparachutes.com/
http://www.softieparachutes.com/ (I have a mini which I like)
http://www.nationalparachute.com/page2.html

Backpack is the preferred style and you have to fly with and take the place of the back seat cushion. There is the style of harness and hardware (recommended the conventional harness. Quick ejector hardware is nice but not a must have. There is a trick in threading the chest strap to make it a quick releases.)

Read Silvers web site for how to use an emergency chute. There is a lot more to it than strapping it on. I went to his seminar at Oshkosh after doing aerobatics with a chute for a few years and realized how unprepared I was to bail out and what can happen. It was an eye opener. He has some good info on his web site regarding the dos and don?ts.

Cheers George.

Last edited:
Great info, indeed!

I recently had the same question as Mickey. Glad I found this thread. I just wanted to update the article/information links above which seem to have stopped working. I believe this is where the same information can now be found:

http://silverparachutes.com/

Allen Silver is extremely knowledgeable but he is a dealer for Softie parachutes only. Softie makes a _great_ parachute it may not be the best choice for you and your application. Just keep that in mind..

I have Classic Aero seats. I remove the bottom seat cushion and use a Strong Seat pack. I think it’s a 304. This set up works fine for me.

No standard answer for that.......

Hi Mickey,

you have to come up with your demands and situation, define what you want, search the market and make your choice.

All the recommendations given might not work for you at all!

Your choice depends on:
-your weight. Some are limited.
-your mission. Will u Use it every time you fly, just for phase 1 or just when doing aerobatics?
-your wallet. Used ones are cheaper. Import taxes from the U.S.
-your leg length (backpack normal/slim or seatpack)
-your upper body height when sitting. (Seatpack or backpack)
-your seat cushions (removable??)
-packing intervals (if you care)
-access to packing facility
-factory support
-color choices
-width, height and length of the packed chute
-....add more points if you have...

I choose the czech made MARS ATL 98 with quick release.
My answers to the questions above led to it.
I am more than happy.

Send me a PM and i will go into detail on the phone with you.
As residing in switzerland, you are not that far away from me.
Therefore some of your answers might be similar to mine, leading to the same result. Maybe not.....

Mit Fliegergruß

The advice on getting training is really important. Most have no idea how difficult getting out of a aircraft can be especially if it is not in controlled flight. The other consideration is if you’re going to wear a chute in a RV you probably should also wear a helmet. Avoiding the tail might be difficult. My understanding is that to date there has never been a successful bailout from a Vans RV.
G

What kind of chute works best in the RV8? I guess it kind of depends on the seats, so any advice there would be welcome as well. Thanks!

My question is, does anyone think they can really successfully egress from an "uncontrolled" RV-8 at the AGL altitudes most of us fly at? This goes double if you carry a passenger. I can't imagine trying to get the canopy to slide fully open enough while also trying to stand up and egress over the side? Now try to do all this in a Spin or Tumbling Aircraft? Those who fly with Parachutes, do you have a special Modified quick eject canopy?

I badly wanted to get one. But here's what I discovered. Even with the backrest cushion out, my knees still tended to be under the bottom of the instrument panel. And then, I've also got doofinkies sticking out from my panel, that my knees would also have to get past. A Garmin 496 jutting out, and also a tablet out on a Ram mount. So I'm thinking, I would have to get my heels up on the edge of the seat before I could try to "push" myself out. You guys get the idea. So I simply haven't gotten a chute.

How bout you guys that "do" have chutes? Can you get your knees clear easily??
And Oh yeah, per post #11, I have modified my canopy to be ejected off the plane.
Oh, and oh yeah, I'm not some 6 foot plus guy, I'm only 5' 10"

Last edited:
My question is, does anyone think they can really successfully egress from an "uncontrolled" RV-8 at the AGL altitudes most of us fly at? This goes double if you carry a passenger. I can't imagine trying to get the canopy to slide fully open enough while also trying to stand up and egress over the side? Now try to do all this in a Spin or Tumbling Aircraft? Those who fly with Parachutes, do you have a special Modified quick eject canopy?

The key - as in all things emergency - is to practice. NAd yes, I have a canopy which I can jettison (I pull pins before takeoff IF I am wearing a chute, not if I am not....), and I have practiced egress numerous times, blindfolded. Spinning and tumbling? No one I know has a good trainer for that, but many have tumbled their way out of airplanes in that condition, so its worth the effort to try in my opinion. If you can’t make, it you can’t make it - but you keep trying until you hit the ground.

Paul

How does the pin method of canopy jettison actually work??

Paul,
Could you expand on your canopy jettison system please?
I thought the pin method required the pins to be pulled at the time you want to jettison, not before. So in your system, is the canopy secured as normal without the pins, then when you use the normal canopy open latch - it departs the aircraft??
Is there more than one jettison system being employed on RV-8's??
Thanks

The advice on getting training is really important. Most have no idea how difficult getting out of a aircraft can be especially if it is not in controlled flight. The other consideration is if you’re going to wear a chute in a RV you probably should also wear a helmet. Avoiding the tail might be difficult. My understanding is that to date there has never been a successful bailout from a Vans RV.
G

Did you mean, there's never been a situation where someone who was equipped with a parachute has decided to exit a failed RV and deployed their chute? That, I believe, would be correct. There have been instances of people leaving an RV, both with and without parachutes.

Paul,
Could you expand on your canopy jettison system please?
I thought the pin method required the pins to be pulled at the time you want to jettison, not before. So in your system, is the canopy secured as normal without the pins, then when you use the normal canopy open latch - it departs the aircraft??
Thanks

Very simple actually. Replace the bolts that hold the two forward rollers to the canopy frame with pins. Slide the canopy shut and latch it, then pull the pins. The forward edge of the canopy is secure under the lip from the windshield, and held forward by the latch. If you need to get out, just unlatch, pull back an inch or so, and push up - the slipstream should rip the canopy right off.

At least that’s the theory we have all worked under for years.....and it sure sounds like it should work. Just realize no one is going to test it unless they are jettisoning the aircraft for real, because it might well take the vertical tail off.

As my buddy said, "would you rather have a chute and not be able to get out, or not have a chute and discover that you can get out?"
Impending death is a powerful motivator.
I wear a chute and have pull-pins on the roller brackets. No helmet though.

Hope I never have to find out.

Just realize no one is going to test it unless they are jettisoning the aircraft for real, because it might well take the vertical tail off.

...I don't think this is gonna happen....

Attachments

• Crash.arp.600pix.jpg
    Crash.arp.600pix.jpg
    857.6 KB · Views: 85
...I don't think this is gonna happen....

Not unless you happen to have a pyrotechnic license....;)

Then again, there’s a reason I always wear a fire suit and helmet when flying the Subsonex - its all about that BRS rocket right behind my head!:rolleyes:

Paul

Thanks for confirming Paul

Very simple actually. Replace the bolts that hold the two forward rollers to the canopy frame with pins. Slide the canopy shut and latch it, then pull the pins. The forward edge of the canopy is secure under the lip from the windshield, and held forward by the latch. If you need to get out, just unlatch, pull back an inch or so, and push up - the slipstream should rip the canopy right off.

At least that’s the theory we have all worked under for years.....and it sure sounds like it should work. Just realize no one is going to test it unless they are jettisoning the aircraft for real, because it might well take the vertical tail off.

Paul,
Thank you for confirming how the system "should work". I was just missing the pulling pins before flight part - seems a good procedure, rather than trying to fight with them under stress.

The mid-air with the Cirrus and Metroliner a few days ago will probably help BRS & Cirrus sales a lot. Terrible circumstances but glad the chute worked and everyone survived.

Paul,

I put vertical cuts in my canopy rails about three inches back from the front. If I'm pushing up on the canopy as it passes that spot it easily comes out and up. (When practicing on the ground anyway, haven't tried in flight). Don't remember who I copied this method from.

The only person to get out of an RV-8 in flight (sadly without a parachute) did use the removable pins method.

Regarding what parachute to use, I have a butler seat pack. Even with the tall pilot option I barely have enough leg room, but have plenty of head room (6'4"). Use it with no cushions at all. Wear it every flight I'm not carrying a passenger (seems rude for me to have a chute, but not one for the person in back).

Old Thread: New Picture

I created this canopy jettison mechanism so that I could easily slide the canopy past the fiberglass trim and jettison it. Basically it is a ratchet strap device I bought from HomeDepot. The handle design reminds me of the 5point ratchet handle on aerobatic airplane that I can firm wrap my hand and ratchet the canopy rearward. The long strap was trimmed down to about 4 feet. This strap is rated at 500 lbs and I think it is more than sufficient to pop the canopy up the sliding block and rearward, and counteract against the aerodynamic force. The quick release seen in the picture should allow me to punch the canopy clear into the airstream.

Talking to a local RV8 pilot who regularly flies formation, he said he was able to manually slide the canopy rearward when he flies less than 125mph so perhaps this is overkill. But this contraption is simple, and it weights only about 2 lbs

I have been thinking of how to slide the RV8 canopy rearward and this is my idea.

Attachments

• IMG_0404.jpg
    IMG_0404.jpg
    518.6 KB · Views: 87
I created this canopy jettison mechanism so that I could easily slide the canopy past the fiberglass trim and jettison it. Basically it is a ratchet strap device I bought from HomeDepot. The handle design reminds me of the 5point ratchet handle on aerobatic airplane that I can firm wrap my hand and ratchet the canopy rearward. The long strap was trimmed down to about 4 feet. This strap is rated at 500 lbs and I think it is more than sufficient to pop the canopy up the sliding block and rearward, and counteract against the aerodynamic force. The quick release seen in the picture should allow me to punch the canopy clear into the airstream.

Talking to a local RV8 pilot who regularly flies formation, he said he was able to manually slide the canopy rearward when he flies less than 125mph so perhaps this is overkill. But this contraption is simple, and it weights only about 2 lbs

I have been thinking of how to slide the RV8 canopy rearward and this is my idea.

I've got an 8, and I'm trying to picture how this works. Please don't think me rude, but it ?looks? like you pull on the rachet handle--the strap goes around a pully, or something, and then up to the hook pulling the canopy aft. But then the canopy would be flailing in the air still attached to these hooks. I'm not seeing this correctly, right?? Can you do a bigger picture??

The strap goes around the mid roll bar. The thought of the canopy flailing in with the strap did cross my mind but when I do punch out, not able to get the canopy sliding off to punch out is a greater concern for me. I hope the open hook will get detached from the frame but I try not to over think this. BTW, I plan to wear a helmet.

... not able to get the canopy sliding off to punch out is a greater concern for me. ...

I never considered that I would not be able to open the canopy. Since there has been at least one guy that got it open, I had assumed that I could too, if needed.

(seems rude for me to have a chute, but not one for the person in back).

I just tell them that if something happens, I'll go for help....:eek:

Regarding canopy opening, I think the lift on the 8 canopy is much less than the side-by-side sliders. I think you could pull it back enough to clear the windscreen fairing.

What about a Fastback -8?

What experience or prediction does anyone have with a tip over -8 canopy as far as opening it in flight goes?
I guess the challenge of rolling the aft portion backwards is gone, and once the canopy is opened a bit, it may WHOOSH away asymetrically? If the canopy produces lift, that lift will be up and to the starboard side of things. So it is likely to hit the VS and I will not have a safe space behind a forward windscreen to consider my next move. Have I got it about right? I'm not sure how the mid-cockpit roll bar will affect this.

Very interesting. Does anyone have a picture of these removable pins?

For those who haven't seen them before:

No changes to the bolt hole. Just replace the bolts with pip pins. Attach a short lanyard to pull them out in an emergency. Here is the one from McMaster-Carr:

Pip pin installed in my previous RV-8:

i-WfMqxGH-XL.jpg

As others have mentioned, in 1999 there was an RV-8 that caught fire in flight. The pilot did get out, but unfortunately he was not wearing a chute. The NTSB said that the fire may have been so intense in the cockpit to be intolerable (the WWI scenario before chutes were widely used). Here is the NTSB Final Report.

Another thread on the subject of opening the RV-8 canopy (probably a better location for the last several posts): https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=211972

Last edited:
I never considered that I would not be able to open the canopy. Since there has been at least one guy that got it open, I had assumed that I could too, if needed.

A local RV8 pilot confirmed he could open the canopy at 125mph and lower, but other pilots have stated that it is not possible to do at greater than 150mph. I've seen one private video that at moderate speed, the canopy will move forward a bit due to the positive air pressure at the back of the canopy. At this speed, the test pilot confirmed the canopy could not be opened. This ratchet is a piece of mind for me, just like wearing a parachute.

NqHyco9JqP4s5N6JA

I purchased these at a local marine supply store.

Attachments

• 59B24819-69AB-4AB2-A605-A864820802A1.jpeg
    59B24819-69AB-4AB2-A605-A864820802A1.jpeg
    463.8 KB · Views: 191
Ballistic Parachute for the RV8

Hello, I am finishing the assembly of my RV-8 and I intend to perform acrobatics with it. It turns out that I am very tall 2.00 meters height and weight 100 kg (220 lbs), being tall limits the possibility of using a parachute on the back or even a seat because when gaining height in the seat my knees hit the instrument panel when commanding the rudder pedals.

Having explained all this, I decided to install a BRS parachute in the RV-8, analyze the efforts in the structure and carry out the installation of reinforcements, the calculation of the CG, etc.

This was the way I found to perform the acrobatics with a little more tranquility.

Below are the project photos.

Attachments

• Captura de tela 2023-09-10 222501.png
    Captura de tela 2023-09-10 222501.png
    128 KB · Views: 53
  • Captura de tela 2023-09-10 222600.png
    Captura de tela 2023-09-10 222600.png
    22 KB · Views: 38
  • Captura de tela 2023-09-10 222827.png
    Captura de tela 2023-09-10 222827.png
    61.5 KB · Views: 45
  • Captura de tela 2023-09-10 222836.png
    Captura de tela 2023-09-10 222836.png
    54 KB · Views: 25
  • Captura de tela 2023-09-10 222745.png
    Captura de tela 2023-09-10 222745.png
    175.2 KB · Views: 37
  • Captura de tela 2023-09-10 222551.png
    Captura de tela 2023-09-10 222551.png
    33.2 KB · Views: 34
Where are you going to install the BRS rocket? From the picture it seems like the rear baggage compartment. Is the rocket deployed to the side?

I had thought about this and for me the best location to store the BRS system is in the front storage compartment. The reason is the rocket deployment goes straight up and it is clear of any canopy object. The two front tie downs are conveniently right the at the upper engine bolt mount.

It turns out that I am very tall 2.00 meters height and weight 100 kg (220 lbs), being tall limits the possibility of using a parachute on the back or even a seat because when gaining height in the seat my knees hit the instrument panel when commanding the rudder pedals.

I'm only a little bit shorter than that (1.95m) and weigh around 100kg. I use a Butler seat pack and take out both the seat and back cushions when flying with the chute. This is with the "tall pilot option" more reclined seat back. I have about 5cm between the top of my headset and the canopy. When strapped in get no canopy contact even at -3g.

My knees do just barely hit the bottom of the panel when using the cushion instead of the chute, but it doesn't seem to be a problem in flight.

A ballistic chute would be a very big project, especially connecting the chute to the airframe strong enough to take the loads, would be worth borrowing a seat chute from someone and seeing if you can't make it work.

Using the The Mini Softies

I've been using the Mini Softies while testing my RV8. I found it to be light and comfortable to wear. I remove the foam seat back and the parachute provide a good back cushion.

I am using the 16" Mini Softie chute and I am 5'6". Here is the screencapture of me wearing the parachute after the first flight. In the RV8, any thicker parachute will push you forward, closer to the instrument panel than usual. It's not a problem in the front seat. In the backseat, a thicker parachute will push the passenger head really close to the front seat roll bar.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 33
Back