What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin GMU-11 or GMU-22?

Hi everyone, searched the forums but did see any discussion of why folks choose GMU-22 vs. GMU-11 for your magnetometer. Garmin pitches GMU-22 for a/c with >250 knot top speed so seems like GMU-11 would be fine for an RV. However, I've seen numerous builder logs where they opted for the -22. It's a pricey upgrade so wondering why. If you have a -22 in your RV it would be great to know why you went that route.

Mike

I went with the GMU-11. I'm pretty sure the -22 came out well before the -11 which may be why some people went with it. The -22 is bigger, heavier and more expensive. I think the -11 uses MEMS sensors which is why it is smaller, lighter and less expensive.

CAN Bus

The other major reason is CAN bus length. The GMU-11 is another node in the CAN bus while the GMU-22 is simply connected to the GSU-25, thus reducing the total CAN bus length and preventing some pesky errors that can occur if your CAN bus is too long.

gmu

I have the G3x Touch system and used the GMU-22.

In a -10, the CAN bus length may be an issue and the GMU-22 doesn't add to it, as previously stated...

Back