What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AME Help - Western Mass

Pilotjim77

Well Known Member
Looking for an AME in western Mass or Albany, NY area for a class 3 medical. Stupidly, I waited too long as mine expires this week. All of the doctors around here who used to do them don't do them anymore (for what reason, I can't imagine.) I've called three separate AMEs....they are now apparently former AMEs.

I even thought about just going basic med, but my own doctor doesn't have any appointments available until.......... DECEMBER :eek:

Any help would be appreciated.

. All of the doctors around here who used to do them don't do them anymore (for what reason, I can't imagine.) I've called three separate AMEs....they are now apparently former AMEs.

Both my primary and back-up AME's quit doing it. Both cited new regulations and a required office inspection to make sure they were up to snuff. Not worth the added aggravation they told me. I'm doing Basic Med now with my PCP.

Looking for an AME in western Mass or Albany, NY area for a class 3 medical. Stupidly, I waited too long as mine expires this week. All of the doctors around here who used to do them don't do them anymore (for what reason, I can't imagine.) I've called three separate AMEs....they are now apparently former AMEs.

I even thought about just going basic med, but my own doctor doesn't have any appointments available until.......... DECEMBER :eek:

Any help would be appreciated.

You should have until the end of the month. Try Dr. Alphonse Calvanese, 299 Carew St. Suite 426 Springfield MA 01103 (Mercy Medical Center/Hospital) and his number is 413-732-8060. Last month(June) it took only 2 weeks for an appointment, and probably could have taken me earlier if my schedule was more flexible.

Last edited:
Maybe longer

If your medical is normally due this month, you may have two weeks plus 3 months with the new FAA extension. These extensions are good but they make physical scheduling tough as people cancel when they learn about the extension, often right before their appointment.

EAA has some information about the extension (full disclosure, I am a volunteer as one of 5 physicians on the EAA aeromedical council). I would check to see how it affects you. I am using the extension to prolong my medical, BTW.

Lots of AMEs are dropping out. The hassle factor is fairly high but I enjoy it.

Good luck.
John

Call around to urgent care centers in the area to see if they will do Basic Med exam. Most are comfortable with form-based physicals which is fundamentally what Basic Med is. Does require a bit of reading on the doctor's part, and of course you'll need a physician not another type of provider.

You should have until the end of the month. Try Dr. Alphonse Calvanese, 299 Carew St. Suite 426 Springfield MA 01103 (Mercy Medical Center/Hospital) and his number is 413-732-8060. Last month(June) it took only 2 weeks for an appointment, and probably could have taken me earlier if my schedule was more flexible.

Thank you, I will reach out tomorrow.

Call around to urgent care centers in the area to see if they will do Basic Med exam. Most are comfortable with form-based physicals which is fundamentally what Basic Med is. Does require a bit of reading on the doctor's part, and of course you'll need a physician not another type of provider.

I walked into a local urgent care after posting this. They might be able to do it. The doctor was not in but will be on Thursday and is supposed to call me back. Fingers crossed......

Glad I'm good til the end of the month...forgot about that.

As previously mentioned...if you expire the end of July, you are actually good through the end of October.

(all medicals expire at the end of the month issued....and now there is a 3 month extension to that.)

I was friends with Dr. LR out of Westfield. Once his nurse retired, it wasn’t worth the hassle for him. I’ve since moved so have no advice but I understand that it has become become a problem.

Just to update, I wound up going with basic med. One of the local urgent care centers (med express chain) was willing. The doctor was very pleasant and accomodating. Took about a half hour.

For some reason, they only charged me $15.

Just to update, I wound up going with basic med. One of the local urgent care centers (med express chain) was willing. The doctor was very pleasant and accomodating. Took about a half hour.

For some reason, they only charged me $15.

Which Urgent Care Center did you go to?

Back