What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil Pressure Too High - HELP!

terrykohler

Well Known Member
The facts:
Engine - O320D1A 540TTSN
Prop - Fixed Pitch
On a two hour x-country last week, my oil pressure began to climb, reaching nearly 100 psi. I throttle back to prevent going over red line, all other indications normal except fuel pressure, which also showed an increase, to nearly 10psi. Both oil pressure and fuel pressure transducers are on the same (Vans) manifold, which is mounted in the engine compartment, on the firewall.

Gage and transducers are standard Van's, and I replaced the oil gage and transducer on Friday - no change.
I teed in another oil pressure gage just in front of the transducer manifold and see values typically 10-15 pounds below my Vans gage at various power settings.
I've since removed the transducer manifold and cleared all surfaces of anodizing, including the threads. Fittings are steel. Still no change.
I've tried running a ground wire directly from the transducer to the aircraft ground. No change.
Anyone have any thoughts on this? Other than a couple of flat tires and an alternator last year, they plane has been rock solid over the past 500+ hours. This one's got me stumped.
Terry, CFI
RV-9A N323TP

Think I'm OK

Terry:
CHT (I only have a probe on one cylinder) did not show a change when the oil pressure rose last week. On Sunday, I rechecked all connections and re-crimped the sender wire running from the transducer to the gage. Buttoned up and ran a test flight, which resulted in oil pressure indication showing normal (about 88 psi at high power cruise). I haven't verified, but I think that while I may still be high relative to the shop gage, I'm about where I was before the problem cropped up - I just don't know which of the four actions resulted in the correction.
Terry, CFI
RV-9A N323TP

Same problem solved

I wrestled high oil pressure on the exact same model engine. Did everything you've done to no avail! It would go to 100, 110 or higher then drop back after awhile to 80-85 range. I finally changed the vernathem which should not having anything to do with it according to my AI. BUT I've had no problem since then. It had persisted for over a year, I now have been trouble free for 40 hours! Go Figure!! Coincidence, who knows! Hope you find this helpful, know there will be naysayers and maybe they are correct, but proof is in the pudding for me.

Back