What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking for places to take wife out west!

jerryab

Finally have about 8 days off and would like to fly to wife in the RV6A to a couple of interesting places in Texas, New Mexico or Eastern Colorado. We are located in Fayetteville AR, 63 years of age, and want to see history, or just friendly people. Been to Alburquerque several times, thinking of Santa Fe. Can someone make some suggestions.

I know you stated you been to ABQ but I was thinking of doing the ballon festival next week.

Another suggestion would be Mt. Rushmore (a bit more north then you were thinking)?

Middle of No Where

I live in Wray, Colorado. We have lots of interesting sights. The feed lot, truck stop, and of course the airport. Our town located on the Eastern border of Colorado 7 miles from Nebraska. 2V5

out west

My suggestions would be Steamboat Springs, Co. If that airport does not look inviting, land at Hayden a few miles west. Or consider flying to Sedona, Az. Or fly into an east range airport like Fort Collins, rent a car and drive into Estes Park. We found a cabin on VRBO for three days on one trip this summer and had a great time. Or maybe fly into Durango for a few days.

ABQ and CUT

I concur with Rallybum.
ABQ - If you have not seen the Balloon Fiesta, you have missed out on a very unique event. I flew the fiesta for nine years, and even as a participant, there were times where I would just take a look around and say "wow"!
The big issue for you would be trying to secure accommodations and a rental car. The Double Eagle Airport is just across the street, but I do not know if you can get a rental car there. Back in a past life, I used to fly a GA plane into KABQ, and the FBO's were always very accommodating to us.
When you are done there, it is a short flight to KSAF or just use your rental to drive.

Mount Rushmore - Fly into KCUT (Custer County) and arrange for a rental car. You can stay in Custer if you wish as it is closer to the airport (try the Dakota Cowboy for a great breakfast), but my wife and I recommend that you drive to Keystone for lodging. Neat western town with great hotels and restaurants. It is very close to Mt. Rushmore and Custer State Park. You would pass the Crazy Horse Memorial on the way to Keystone, don't miss this during your stay.
Make sure you make time to talk with the KCUT airport mgr, Ralph. He is a great guy, AOPA and EAA member. Ask to see his Stinson restoration project as he is doing a stellar job.

Feel free to PM or email me if you would like more info on either of these places.
I know you stated you been to ABQ but I was thinking of doing the ballon festival next week.

Another suggestion would be Mt. Rushmore (a bit more north then you were thinking)?

Some thoughts

I'm rather sure we have met since I own an RV-6A and am also based at Drake Field in Fayetteville but maybe not. I have also been into Albuquerque many times including the balloon Fiesta and I never saw anything there that would make it worth a trip from Fayetteville just for tourism if you have already been there. New Mexico truly is enchanting to me anyway in other areas. Santa Fe is a charming place to visit with museums, shops and restaurants that I think is certainly worth a visit if you have not already been there. An area just a little ways north of there has an airport and a unique history - Los Alamos. The runway is built on a long finger of land created by an ancient volcano eruption much more like a carrier than Sedona. You land to the west and takeoff to the east - regardless of the wind. The Los Alamos National Laboratory is still there but there are no Lab tours to my knowledge. It is a fascinating place and there are museums that show the history of the town during WWII. To the west is an awesome caldera left by the ancient volcano eruption. It just looks like a pleasant bowl shaped valley with cattle grazing until you read the sign by the highway that says there was once a very large mountain there. South of Los Alamos is a park with indian cliff dwellings that is interesting to visit. To the north there is the town of Taos with a lot of tourist shops and a town square that you can spend some time in. I bought a wide leather belt there that I still wear with my Vans Aircraft buckle. North of Taos there is a visually impressive setting where a bridge crosses a deep gorge and the Rio Grande River. You can walk across it and it should not be missed if you are in the area. Northwest of Taos is the town of Chama where you can buy tickets and ride a scenic railroad into Colorado and return.

In Colorado not too far away is Colorado Springs. There you can visit the Air Force Academy, Pikes Peak, Garden of the Gods, Royal Gorge and other interesting places. In Pilot Getaways a while back I saw that they have a restaurant made out of a C-97 there now.

In the southern part of New Mexico is an extremely historic place called Trinity Site that can only be visited two days out of the year - one in April and one in October. Arrangements can be made through the Alamogordo Chamber of Commerce. It is quite an experience to see the assembly buildings and the detonation site of the first atomic bomb.

If you go to AAA and get their Tour Books for New Mexico and Colorado you can plan a fully packed vacation trip. Flying over the area is informative but driving north from Albuquerque you can almost feel that this area is different - enchanted maybe.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Trinity Site

The Trinity Site is open this weekend, Oct 3, also first day of Balloons.

We're driving down to see some green glass (Trinitite) this year stopping at The Owl Cafe on the way back.

Park at E80 and we can pick you up.

This is the season to visit NM!

Steven Hild
Belen, NM
RV-7 N590SC (res), finish kit

The Trinity Site is open this weekend, Oct 3, also first day of Balloons.

We're driving down to see some green glass (Trinitite) this year stopping at The Owl Cafe on the way back...
Steven, have you tried the Buckhorn in San Antonio (NM)? I'm hearing from a lot of places that the Green Chili Cheeseburgers are better there than at the Owl.

Ironic, isn't it, that two of the best places in the world for this wonderful delicacy are in a town of a few hundred people. I sure wish there was an airport near San Antonio.

Los Alamos

I second Los Alamos. It's a pretty spectacular approach. It's always great to visit Santa Fe, especially on a short trip. I have been meaning to get to Taos, but I haven't made it, yet. On your way, be sure to fly over Palo Duro Canyon.

Steven, have you tried the Buckhorn in San Antonio (NM)? I'm hearing from a lot of places that the Green Chili Cheeseburgers are better there than at the Owl.

Ironic, isn't it, that two of the best places in the world for this wonderful delicacy are in a town of a few hundred people. I sure wish there was an airport near San Antonio.

Actually the BEST green chile cheeseburgers are at a little railroad car out side of Santa Fe called 'Bobcat Bite'. I've tried the others and they just don't compare. They make thier own hamburger fresh every day from multiple cuts of meat. When they run out, it's over for the day. I sometimes do lunch out there and it's one of the places we go for out of town guests. They were even featured on a show called soemthing like 'The top 100 buger joints in America'.

The best margarita's anywhere are at Maria's in Santa Fe
maria2.jpg
. There are 150 to choose from and if you'd rather you can also do flights of tequlia. I was setting in the lobby waiting for a table one day and this couple setting next to me was from Pa. He went and got them both a margie. When she tried her's, her comment was "these aren't like the margie's in Pa". My not so silently held response was 'thankfully"! IF you drink two plan on someone else driving. If you try three just plan on spending that night at the table.

Argueably, the best New Mexican (please, please, please don't confuse this with Tex-Mex or any other type of "mexican" food you get anywhere else) food is at a place called Tomasita's. It's in the old (now restored) train yard area close to downtown. Expect a wait but it'll be worth it.

There is always something happening on the downtown plaza. We enjoy playing tourist and often go down on the weekends to just wander around and people watch. There's the New Mexico History museum that's really new, the Georiga O'Keefe Meseum, New Mexico Mesuem of Art and tons of gallery's, resturants, etc downtown or close to the plaza. The north end of the plaza has the Inn of the Governor's where the local indian tribes (pueblo indians) sell their jewelry. Often there are bands or events going on on the plaza that mix the local cultures (Indian, Spanish, Mexican & gringo). 17 miles from the plaza is the Santa Fe Ski basin and right now the aspen are turning a golden yellow (makes for a beautiful drive).

East of the plaza is Canyon road full of galleries and restruant's. On Christmas eve it's closed to traffic and many of the locals do the 'Canyon road walk' in the evening. Small bon-fires are setup on the side of the road and sholder to sholder people are out with the season spirit singing christmas carols, drinking cider, listening to small group performances and just enjoying the cold night air with the spirit of community.

A little south of the plaza is the oldest church in America. Remember that the spanish came through this way years before pilgrams landed at Plymouth Rock. Santa Fe is the oldest contionusly operating capital in the US and we just celebrated our 400th anniversay as a city.

There's also Museum Hill that houses 4 or 5 other museum's out by St John's college.

To the north are the great sites mentioned in previous posts (Bandelier National Park, Los Alamos, etc).

Even though Taos was mentioned there are a few things there besides the gorge bridge. Taos has a nice airport on the west side of town. The drive further to the west takes you to the gorge bridge. White water rafting is very popular down the Rio Grande up north especially in season. Continue west from the gorge bridge and the road will bend to the north. Within a few miles you'll come to a place where you know the aliens have landed and are living in Taos. These are fully self contained homes fully sustainable and off the grid. One of the earlier earthships is open to the public for a tour of the technology and design. It's well worth seeing if you're up that way.

East of Taos is the ski basin which includes Angel Fire, Red River & Taos.

South of Santa Fe is Tent Rocks National Park.

If you're a golf fan then you gotta try some of our desert courses. you don't even want to get me started there...do you???

Also, don't foget the LOE flyin on starting the 9th of October. We're driving down for that party! We lived in Las Cruces for about 18 years, before moving to Plano (north Dallas) for 6 years, and now Santa Fe for 5.

Bob

Last edited:
NM Ambassador

Bob: Well said, and it's all true. And how about the 4 well defined yet mild seasons. You win the Ambassador job!

If I didn't already live here I would want to.

Larry: Have eaten at the Buckhorn. I'll let you know how it compairs to the Owl.

If you ever get to Socorro let us know. That's just 15 miles from San Antonio and a short drive down for us to meet up and get it done.

Steven Hild
Belen, NM
RV-7 590SC (res) finish kit

Once you live in New Mexico - every place else is temporary. There are other places I've enjoyed or would love to experience but I can't imaging not coming back. Heck I still have a small chunk of land on the fairway at Picacho Hills in Las Cruces.

The best green chile is in the south and the best red is in the north. I can't wait for LOE to drive down and indulge in great RV fellowship and a little golf! Just don't hit Nellie's (Las Cruces) unless you're really used to REALLY, REALLY hot green chile.

Life is busy but there should always be time for friends, known and unknown. Heck one of these days I may actually get back to building, maybe even steal a ride in an RV! :D

Bob

Back