What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Can I fly my RV7 with canopy removed?

GeorgeG

I'm New Here
Do you know if it possible to fly an RV7 with the canopy off for the purpose of dropping a skydiver. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Thanks Jim. I did search but perhaps novice user error. I will do a better job searching again. Thanks for the reply.

See your Operating Limitations

My operating limitations specifically state jumping from experimental is prohibited. I suggest everyone add reading the op limits as a regular thing to refresh what is or is not allowed.

The OP question was can he fly his plane with the canopy off. Unless the video is fake, it sure looks like the answer is yes. It looks like it was a pretty fun flight.

I do remember watching the video of the guy jumping out of a no-canopy RV. I tried to find out why that is prohibited from experimental planes. I only found it was not allowed - not why. Does anyone know why and are there exceptions?

I do remember watching the video of the guy jumping out of a no-canopy RV. I tried to find out why that is prohibited from experimental planes. I only found it was not allowed - not why. Does anyone know why and are there exceptions?

The same limitations also prohibit banner and glider towing

The FAA apparently assumes that the only reason you would be dropping skydivers, towing a banner, or towing a glider is if you were being paid to do so, and thus would be carrying passengers or cargo for hire.

The FAA apparently assumes that the only reason you would be dropping skydivers, towing a banner, or towing a glider is if you were being paid to do so, and thus would be carrying passengers or cargo for hire.

Basically, I believe that you are correct- but can’t prove it. I looked into this a few years ago with regards to the banner towing limitation, and talked to some folks at a high level at FAA headquarters. You;’re not going to like the answer, but it is what it is...Catch 22!

They have no record of the rationale that put that limitation in there years ago, and because they have no rationale, they can’t waiver it, because they can’t rationalize the waiver! Meanwhile, they have limited resources to work on a huge number of issues, and this doesn’t have enough priority to get fixed - the limitations of small budgets.

Paul

Basically, I believe that you are correct- but can?t prove it. I looked into this a few years ago with regards to the banner towing limitation, and talked to some folks at a high level at FAA headquarters. You;?re not going to like the answer, but it is what it is...Catch 22!

They have no record of the rationale that put that limitation in there years ago, and because they have no rationale, they can?t waiver it, because they can?t rationalize the waiver! Meanwhile, they have limited resources to work on a huge number of issues, and this doesn?t have enough priority to get fixed - the limitations of small budgets.

I got basically the same response from some FAA types when I was on the ASTM Part 23 standards committee, when I asked why position light lenses had to be "flameproof" but landing lights only "need not present a fire hazard"...

"We agree the rule doesn't make sense, we don't know why it was written that way, but it's the rule and we're not changing it".

The same FAA guys stated elsewhere that 61kt (single-engine maximum stall speed) and 12,500lb "were on the third tablet that Moses dropped coming down the mountain", as justification for not considering changes to them.

Interestingly, I've noted that the European authorities tend to regulate much more than the FAA does (both with broader coverage and stricter requirements), but on the flip side they seem far more willing to listen to reasoned arguments when it comes to writing and changing the regs.

The same guy in this video link shared another video that you can watch where he drops a skydiver who climbed out on the wing. He does say in the FB comments that "it does handle really badly without the canopy"

Lets try it and let us know how it goes. For the extra fun, try it with a tip-up type without the canopy.

That was the first thing my youngest (a skydiver) asked when he heard I was building an RV... "Can I jump out of it!!??"

RV's are versatile but jump-plane or banner towing are not two uses I'd not recommend, not safe. Banner towing? Unless you know what you are doing don't do it. You will likely overheat due to very low speed and high power (unless the banner is tiny streamer). Many a "Pro" banner towing outfits flying planes well suited for the job have accidents. This kind of flying low and slow around objects has higher risks.

I flew Jump planes for a short time. Go get a ride at a drop zone with a plane with big door and step if you want to skydive.... . In an RV-7 I'd be worried they would hit the tail or foul or hang up on the cockpit. Pro tip (and required) Jump plane pilots were chutes for a reason. Accidents happen.

Last edited:
Be mindful of the bigger picture

There are plenty of aircraft that can legally be used to do these activities. If you are determined to do this in your RV, work with your local FSDO to get a waiver amending your Operating Limitations allowing it but I do not believe this will happen. The bigger problem is what Vern and others have said. It is prohibited by the FARs. I have never personally seen or heard of a set of Operating Limitations allowing these activities in an Experimental aircraft. This means doing them will get you a flight violation and void your insurance (if you live). You endanger the Experimental community by doing this as well. Do you want to be the one who convinces the FAA that if we cannot abide by the limitations agreed to allow the Experimental aircraft category to exist, perhaps Experimental aircraft are no longer permitted?

Back