What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Service Bulletin SB 19-09-09 Published - Inspect RV-10 gear leg mount lug

greghughespdx

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Van?s Aircraft has published a new Service Bulletin for the RV-10, SB 19-09-09. This bulletin directs RV-10 owners to inspect the inboard attachment lugs on the RV-10 nose gear leg for potential cracks at a specific location. If no cracks are found, the gear leg is serviceable and you may continue to fly the airplane and re-inspect each year at the annual condition inspection. Replacement is not necessary in that case.

If a crack is found, owners are directed to order a kit that contains an updated RV-10 nose gear leg and associated hardware. This is described in the service bulletin document.

This issue was discovered on one RV-10 aircraft, which operates regularly from a grass strip and has accumulated more than 1700 hours in service. The attachment lug location is visible and inspectable in the location where the crack could initiate. Van?s has a handful of the updated gear legs in stock, and we do not anticipate the need to ship a large number of replacements. The updated gear leg is included in currently-shipping finishing kits, and has been delivered in all RV-10 finishing kits that have shipped since Oct 1, 2019.

The original gear leg is considered serviceable and may continue to be used unless a crack is observed. The new version of the nose gear leg is available to purchase as a replacement part in the event a crack is discovered upon inspection.

The SB 19-09-09 document is available on the Van's Aircraft web site in the RV-10 Safety and Service Information section, here.

WD-1017-1 Only?

For those of us RV-10 builders that have not yet installed our nose gear, is it possible to get just the new WD-1017-1 part, instead of the whole SB kit? Or, is there other special parts/hardware needed to incorporate the new WD-1017-1 part?

For those of us RV-10 builders that have not yet installed our nose gear, is it possible to get just the new WD-1017-1 part, instead of the whole SB kit? Or, is there other special parts/hardware needed to incorporate the new WD-1017-1 part?

If you wanted to install the new leg you could choose to purchase the SB 19-09-09 kit. It includes the required hardware, which is different than your original kit hardware. We will be prioritizing the allocation of these gear leg kits to customers where/if an issue is found on a flying airplane. We do not anticipate a need to ship large numbers.

To emphasize: Replacement of this leg is not required, as this is an "inspect-and-act-only-if-issue-found" service bulletin. Of the many RV-10's flying, this has been seen on one aircraft to date, and it is an inspectable component.

Greg, that's certainly good news, as I will operate my -10 from a grass strip full time.

Unrelated note (and you can reply privately if you choose to at all) - my emails to info@ and to Jasmine@ have gone 5 and 3 days respectively without a reply. I somehow doubt that's normal. Let me know if email at the mother ship is no longer the way to handle questions and I'll try the ol' land line. Digital coms just seemed preferable for questions related to documents.:confused:

Thanks!

I have a few questions -

1. The date of the SB seems to indicate it was written September of last year, but yet it?s just now being released. Why so long?
2. If finish kits shipped since October of last year have the improved gear, one would assume the issue was discovered long ago - since a new gear was engineered and produced for shipping last October. Again, why the delay in notification?
3. Will any credit be offered to those of us with pre-October nose gears that have not been used?

I installed my nose gear two weeks ago and would not have done so if this SB had been released last year when it was written.

The date in the SB name is not when it is written. Rather, it is typically related to when the initial work is opened, and there are a number of other factors that can determine the date-based name. Subsequent to the start of work there are many steps including analysis, test, design, validation, production and release planning (not necessarily in that order). These steps take time.

We release notifications when the work is done and parts are available. The engine mount designs have changed over time, as we revise parts for various reasons, and this kit and hardware are compatible with mounts shipped prior to the date in the service bulletin.

We are not offering a credit for gear legs. The existing gear leg is safe and serviceable. Vans recommends replacing only if and when a crack forms, and again we have only seen this occur on one airplane.

Last edited:
Relevance to RV 7 etc.

Hi Greg,
Is there any intention to also review/revise the 2019 design nose gear leg for the RV-7A and incorporating what appears to be a gusset on the lugs, assuming the structure is similar to the -10?

Hi Greg,
Is there any intention to also review/revise the 2019 design nose gear leg for the RV-7A and incorporating what appears to be a gusset on the lugs, assuming the structure is similar to the -10?

No. The 2019 7A/9A nose gear design is not the same, and was FEA evaluated as part of the design process for that optional update. There is no defined need to make any change.

Last edited:
The date in the SB name is not when it is written.

We are not offering a credit for gear legs. The existing gear leg is safe and serviceable.

I'm going to push back a bit.

I can only assume your SB naming convention has changed quite recently. Previous service bulletins for the RV-10 - https://www.vansaircraft.com/service-information-and-revisions/?aircraft=rv-10&doctype=all

SB 18-05-21 posted May 21, 2018
SB 18-03-30 posted March 30, 2018
SB 16-03-28 posted March 28, 2016
Etc.

When you released the revised nose gear for the RV-7A/9A, you allowed purchasers of finish kits up to two years prior to the release an exchange period. Why not for the RV-10? The old design of the RV-7A was safe and serviceable too.

Since the improved parts started shipping in October of last year, the work on a redesign had to start well before that. A heads up to those of us building RV-10's could have been provided prior to February.

Hello Greg

First of all thank you for posting on the VAF forum it is very useful.

I am afraid I find the wording on the SB a wee bit ambiguous. If you read the method of compliance section it requires removal of the nose gear leg.

However is the method of compliance section only relevant if a crack is found?

Is a visual inspection, with the nose gear installed, sufficient at the annual condition inspection? If the visual inspection finds no cracks is that the SB complied with until the next condition inspection?

Thanks again for posting. Should I, as an RV10 owner have received an email notification? I submitted a notarised form when we bought the aeroplane 7 years ago but I have never received any of the SBs by email or letter.

Hello Greg

I am afraid I find the wording on the SB a wee bit ambiguous. If you read the method of compliance section it requires removal of the nose gear leg.

Is a visual inspection, with the nose gear installed, sufficient at the annual condition inspection? If the visual inspection finds no cracks is that the SB complied with until the next condition inspection?

Thanks again for posting. Should I, as an RV10 owner have received an email notification? I submitted a notarised form when we bought the aeroplane 7 years ago but I have never received any of the SBs by email or letter.

I am about to go see for myself....but I suspect the region can be inspected while installed, as the lug is visible completely from one side. Even if you need to use a borescope.

As an RV10 with 1800+ hours on it operating off a grass strip, I will be having a really good look. The last nose gear SB for the RV10 we had the most sever case possible (broken bits missing) so I do not want to go there again.

I will let you know what I find.

Inspected today with a borescope and there is no sign of cracks as depicted in the SB. There is some powder coat cracked away in some areas with some surface rust. At Annual we might disassemble and dye penetrant test it just to be sure.

I will send them to Vans for comment and report back if I learn anything more.

Hello Greg

Seems straightforward to me per the "Required Action" paragraph:

"Inspect the inboard attachment lugs of the WD-1017 Nose
Landing Gear for cracks (see Figure 1). If cracks are
discovered, replace the WD-1017 Nose Landing Gear with
the WD-1017-1 Nose Landing Gear as described in this
document. If no cracks are discovered, annual inspections
are required."

So inspect it--gear removal not required. If you find cracks then do the steps under the Method of Compliance para. If not, continue to inspect annually -- easy peasey. IOW, the Method of Compliance para is about how to fix the problem if discovered, not how to do the inspection itself.

Last edited:
Gear Leg Cost

Whats the cost of a new gear leg, so you don't have to do an annual inspection on the item?

Great

$500. I just spoke with Vans and they are several months out due to a welder shortage.

-Marc

I ordered mine last week to replace the leg we just installed. Now I assume I will have to delay hanging the engine until the gear leg arrives. I wonder if finish kits will be delayed as well.

Kidding???

You're kidding, right?

I wouldn't have asked the question if I wasn't serious. It will be a one and done replacement with no further inspection/s required, that is an inspection requiring the removal of the gear leg. Why would that be considered an issue as opposed to an option?

Agreed!

I wouldn't have asked the question if I wasn't serious. It will be a one and done replacement with no further inspection/s required. Why would that be considered an issue as opposed to an option?

Not sure why you are getting grief. It's your money and your plane. I see it as similar to a terminating action on an AD.

I'm replacing a never used nose gear leg while it is dirt simple to do so. I operate off a grass strip and would prefer to have the improved part. Just disappointed that there may be a long wait for something that should have been predicted as being in demand.

I ordered mine last week to replace the leg we just installed. Now I assume I will have to delay hanging the engine until the gear leg arrives. I wonder if finish kits will be delayed as well.

The gear can be changed with the engine installed, just not quite as easily. You could install the provided nose gear, hang the engine then swap it when the new one arrives.

-Marc

I wouldn't have asked the question if I wasn't serious. It will be a one and done replacement with no further inspection/s required, that is an inspection requiring the removal of the gear leg. Why would that be considered an issue as opposed to an option?

Well for starters,
A. The inspection is about as easy as it gets -- you don't have to remove the gear leg -- that's only if you find a crack.
B. You should be inspecting it anyway, now there's just more reason too.

But hey it's your plane and I'm not the condition inspection police, I just find it odd is all.

Last edited:
Not sure why you are getting grief. It's your money and your plane. I see it as similar to a terminating action on an AD.

I'm replacing a never used nose gear leg while it is dirt simple to do so. I operate off a grass strip and would prefer to have the improved part. Just disappointed that there may be a long wait for something that should have been predicted as being in demand.

Why do you think it shouldn't be inspected even if you replace it? You're absolutely correct in it's your plane, but I guess I err towards trying to be as thorough doing my condition inspection as I can within practical limits. YMMV.....

I'll shut up now.

Last edited:
Why do you think it shouldn't be inspected even if you replace it? You're absolutely correct in it's your plane, but I guess I err towards trying to be as thorough doing my condition inspection as I can within practical limits. YMMV.....

I'll shut up now.

Never said I wouldn't inspect the new gear leg. Simply stated that I wanted the improved part since I also operate off a grass strip. It's easy for me to replace now and more difficult later. The people who replaced their engine mounts and nose gears on RV-7's and 9's for the much improved design probably did that for similar reasons (although Van's did provide a credit for some of these folks).

Never said I wouldn't inspect the new gear leg. Simply stated that I wanted the improved part since I also operate off a grass strip. It's easy for me to replace now and more difficult later. The people who replaced their engine mounts and nose gears on RV-7's and 9's for the much improved design probably did that for similar reasons (although Van's did provide a credit for some of these folks).

That's different than replacing it simply to avoid an inspection.

Greg,
I am curious to know what was done to the new gear mounting ears that terminates the SB.
1. Did you use thicker "ears" on the 4 mounting points?
2. Did you make the "ears" larger so that there is more metal around the hole through which the bolt goes?
3. Maybe a gusset reinforcing?
I believe the new style nose gear gets attached to the engine mount with AN6 bolts and not the AN5 bolts in the old style. I believe the OD of the VA-144 insert remains the same (0.75") but the ID changes to accommodate the larger AN6 bolt insert. Correct?
Thank you.
Johan

Guys and Girls...........stay calm.

This is getting like the Beer Virus. Panic over not a lot.

I am sure there are variables, but let me assure anyone reading this, I believe we have the highest hour rough strip RV10 anywhere in the world.

We do not have cracks as per the SB.

The previous SB however we had 10x worse cracking damage, and that was 800-900 hours ago.

I sent my borescope images to Vans and they replied overnight quite happy.

If you want to upgrade, it is really easy to do later, when there are ample new parts. In the interim, if we do not have problems, after over 1800 hours of operating from a rough grass (not nice grass) and on bush outback Australia strips, then the chances y'all will have them is the cubed root of stuff all.

Obviously one did, so you can do an inspection with a borescope without even removing the cowls. So stop the panic.

:)

Steve, I don't think this part is correct. Inspection is in-place, with cowl off for your annual, or with a boroscope if you're curious and it's not time to de-cowl yet. Correct me if I'm wrong.

New nose gear leg arrived

My nose gear arrived last week and I accomplished the installation yesterday. It took a while as there are several things in the way, but it's basically straight forward. I do like the new gear better as the bolts that mount it to the engine mount, and bushings are larger/more stout.

The new part is powder coated and the bolts are tight -even with the powder coating removed in the holes. I felt like they were close-tolerance bolts. In any event it removed some slop that my nose gear had developed in the front bolt/bushing space. I have to tidy up a few things but hope to test fly in a week or so.

Two thumbs up to Van's on a much improved part. And thanks to Greg Hughes too.

-Marc

Nose Gear Issues

Guys and Girls...........stay calm.

This is getting like the Beer Virus. Panic over not a lot.

I am sure there are variables, but let me assure anyone reading this, I believe we have the highest hour rough strip RV10 anywhere in the world.

We do not have cracks as per the SB.

The previous SB however we had 10x worse cracking damage, and that was 800-900 hours ago.

I sent my borescope images to Vans and they replied overnight quite happy.

If you want to upgrade, it is really easy to do later, when there are ample new parts. In the interim, if we do not have problems, after over 1800 hours of operating from a rough grass (not nice grass) and on bush outback Australia strips, then the chances y'all will have them is the cubed root of stuff all.

Obviously one did, so you can do an inspection with a borescope without even removing the cowls. So stop the panic.

David, I think the biggest threat to your nose gear at YCAB are the 'roos on the runway!

Back