What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Clouds and Rocks

Tony_T

Well Known Member
Patron
One of those perfect days...
RV12 climbing through 5500 at 800 fpm (jes me and half fuel aboard), Olympics starting to show up in the background:
i-wBw9GBK-M.jpg

Mt. Ellinor, left, and Mt. Washington. Mt. Olympus in the background.
i-nL9QvTL-L.jpg

The Brothers topping out at 6842 ft. devoid of snow this last summer and fall.
i-HTXfj7s-L.jpg

Proper Term

The correct meteorological term for the phenomenon of said rocks in clouds is

Cumulogranite...

They have also been know to harbor mountain goats.

22179504489_271b862158_z.jpg

Alaska

We were flying down the canyons in Alaska and we went right by the proverbial billy goat (Dahl sheep) on the side of the hill right at our wingtip looking right at us as we went by. It was really hilarious and brought back the Far Side cartoon referenced above. No we weren't scud running. It was clear and blue. :)
Vic

Great pictures Tony! Which camera?

I use a compact Panasonic DMC-LX5 for all my arial shots now. It takes pictures as good as my D7100 and expensive lenses, maybe better. It is small, and hangs around my neck on it's strap, ready to go. The camera comes with a very sharp Leica lens and the auto focus is perfect. Focus is everything to me. If the color isn't right, you can fix that in the computer, but it's hard to fix a badly focused picture. BTW, the above shots are right out of the camera, no software fixes.
i-p72q2Wx-L.jpg

The lens adapter is a Panasonic DMW-LA6 and it lets you use a filter. I mainly like the adapter because the lens goes out when the camera is turned on or awakes from sleep and the adapter keeps my fingers out of the way. I wrap my left hand around the camera, operate the shutter with the left index finger and fly the plane with my right hand on the stick.
To avoid reflections, abide by the first principle of the "Dicta Boelcke" by keeping the sun behind you.

Last edited:
OUTSTANDING pictures and commentary, Tony! And thank you for sharing details about your camera. I too, have a Lumix Camera, model #DMC-ZS8 with a Leica lens (although, the lens is much smaller than yours). I'm wondering how they compare. I hope I can capture pictures as good as yours. :)

Back