What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A visit with Dynon

WA85

Well Known Member
During Phase 1, I had periodic boot up issues with my Dynon Skyview D1000 and occasional indicated airspeed errors from the ADHRS. Dynon's customer service was quick to offer repair for both components, but I chose to finish phase 1 and then send the components back to Dynon. Instead of shipping the components back to Dynon, I hand carried them with me since I had already planned on travelling out to WA to visit my Mother over the Memorial Day weekend. Dynon is only a 25 mile drive north from the Sea-Tac airport, just take I-405 N. Once at Dynon, and after explaining my issues, I was very promptly taken care by a very friendly and knowledgeable staff. I was only expecting to drop off my components and then wait for them to repaired and shipped back to Alabama, but Dynon offered to replace both components (D1000 and ADAHRS) on the spot. I had an RMA on the D1000, but nothing on the ADHRS. The staff said no problem, we will take care of you, and they did. They were able to copy my existing D1000 data onto the replacement D1000, except I did need to re-cal the compass. While waiting for the paper work to process, I was able to ask several of their engineers questions about ADSB and how the magic in the box works. I left Dynon a very happy customer and last week I was able to re-install my D1000 and ADHRS and everything works great. Having worked in the aerospace industry for over 30 years, and having worked with with all the big companies, I feel that Dynon has to be the one of the best or the best ever for customer support and technical capabilities. Over the last few years that I have been working with Dynon Skyview products, Dynon has continually added new technology and capabilities to their products, often at no cost to the customer. I highly recommend visiting the Dynon facility, they are really a great bunch of folks!
I also have to plug the folks at Vans to. During Phase 1, I had a leak in my oil cooler and after speaking with Sterling for a few moments, Vans sent me a new oil cooler. We are very lucky to have both Vans and Dynon providing the EAB community with excellent products and support.

So glad to hear your story. Dynon has always excelled in customer service; a huge part of their ongoing success. That level of customer service is why we became a Dynon dealer and why we sell more Dynon than everything else combined. They're great people who have great customers and I have no doubt they will be around to support all of us for many years to come. :D

Best ever? You had two separate units fail in phase one and Dynon is the "best ever at customer support and technical capabilities" because they warrantied your parts? I think you are the best costumer ever.

Considering all of the Dynon in flight failures lately (see current thread), including I might add the unit in my panel, the timing of your 'best ever' post seems a bit odd. In my recent experience, when the pretty screen goes completely black at 17,500 and never comes back up....that's bad. Having the opportunity to disassemble your panel on the flight line at Sun n Fun 1300 nautical from the majority of your tools...that isn't optimal either. I'm lucky in that my Dynon failure was a backup screen, so I opted to fly home on the 'other guys' functional screens and replace the Dynon unit in the comfort of my hangar.

In my opinion the best ever warranty is the one that is never needed. A panel failure is a safety issue. I can not praise them because they replace the failed parts quickly with a smile on their face. They should not be failing at the rate they are. They are grounding planes at best and endangering clients at worst. This is cause for concern not praise.

ColoRV,

I understand your concerns and want to take the opportunity to address them.

Dynon is a different company in that we have always been very open with our customers, in both our forum and other forums. There are no restrictions on who can log in and read our forum, and we don't edit posts (unless there is something unkind or inconsiderate towards other customers). We think this approach provides good service to our customers, and the best service to the experimental community.

Zero failures is our target, and we are always striving for continuous improvement. We also warranty our products much longer than the norm, and charge much less for any out-of-warranty repairs. Given our low prices and wide installation base, we simply could not afford to be in business if we had higher service rates than industry norm. The fact that there are 10x more flying Dynon Avionics installations than anyone else - over 17,000 aircraft and thousands of them RVs - and that combined with our extreme openness can magnify issues. We still think it is worth being open with every issue.

I would put our reliability and product design up against any others. When we do identify service issues, we have addressed them with Technical Service Bulletins and made sure our customers are taken care of.

And if someone has a problem, people can contact the President. And have. :)

Best Regards,
Robert
Dynon Avionics

Back