What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How do I download Skyview 11.0 from Vans?

Top Cat

Well Known Member
I had an e-mail from Vans saying I should wait to download SkyView 11.0 until they'd looked at it for 'bugs' which may affect the RV-12, and that I should then download it from the Vans website.

Recently, after I asked again, they said 11.0 is okay and that it is now available to download from Vans and this was the link:-

http://fs3:8000/public/downloads.htm

I can't get this to work and I can't find it on the Vans site. They are pretty slow (in my experience) in responding to e-mails so the question is, how can I download the SkyView from Vans?

Do you think there is anything different about getting it from Vans as opposed to from Dynon?

I know someone who got it from Dynon right after it came out with no problem, so…

why the big history of doing this if there's no issue and why is Vans so slow in responding? Is this normal?

Last edited:
Thanks Craig.

How long to upload it at the airplane? I've heard anywhere from 5 mins to an hour. Just need to know if will have to hook up external power.

Last edited:
Top Cat: I uploaded it into my bird which is just like yours in about ten minutes. No need for external power....just pull the fuse on the fuel pump so you don't listen to it and then activate the master switch. Piece of cake.

EBB:)

The 10-to-11 update can take almost an hour because of the large hi-Rez base map. The periodic monthly data updates after that only take a minute or so. So pull the fuel pump fuse!

For a software update like 10-to-11 (not the monthly data update) you need to have the transponder and autopilot servos ON. So that means the master, and the avionics master, and the AP switch need to be ON.

Last edited:
Thanks?.I think.

Bill, how come some uploads take 5 minutes and some an hour? Vans said today it was 5 minutes?

Firmware updates are about 5 minutes. It's pretty simple and painless.

Updating high resolution terrain takes longer, but it's optional and independent of updating firmware. It should also get quicker in a future software update.

Firmware updates are about 5 minutes. It's pretty simple and painless.

Updating high resolution terrain takes longer, but it's optional and independent of updating firmware. It should also get quicker in a future software update.

Okay so today I went to the airplane and uploaded a routine update. Took about 30 seconds.

The I selected the 12.SV11.0-PRE-SETS-09-10-14.duc file and selected upload.
After about 8 or so minutes the last green bar appeared to finish ( I noted there ware several including EMS, ADHRS, and several SV modules).

It appeared to finish and returned to the Skyview screen (PFD,Engine,Map). I waited another couple of minutes to see if it was still uploading (as it had said earlier don't switch power off whilst uploading). Nothing more so I switched Skyview off. Switching on again, and since, I get a message over the map saying 'uploading databases' which stays on for about 30-45 seconds then goes away. Everything appears to be working okay.
I get this same message each time I switch Skyview on now, but didn't before. Is this now 'normal' after this update?
I get the message with the USB in or out. Next time I go fly will it be still updating databases from the plugged in USB?

I'm assuming that my update from 10-11.0 was only a few minutes because I didn't select the newer low-level terrain updates etc.
What do these offer? If these are selected would it take about an hour to upload them?

Apologies if this has been covered before but there isn't much guidance from either Dynon or Vans on this and quite frankly, it's frustrating.

Okay so today I went to the airplane and uploaded a routine update. Took about 30 seconds.

The I selected the 12.SV11.0-PRE-SETS-09-10-14.duc file and selected upload.
After about 8 or so minutes the last green bar appeared to finish ( I noted there ware several including EMS, ADHRS, and several SV modules).

It appeared to finish and returned to the Skyview screen (PFD,Engine,Map). I waited another couple of minutes to see if it was still uploading (as it had said earlier don't switch power off whilst uploading). Nothing more so I switched Skyview off. Switching on again, and since, I get a message over the map saying 'uploading databases' which stays on for about 30-45 seconds then goes away. Everything appears to be working okay.
I get this same message each time I switch Skyview on now, but didn't before. Is this now 'normal' after this update?
I get the message with the USB in or out. Next time I go fly will it be still updating databases from the plugged in USB?

I'm assuming that my update from 10-11.0 was only a few minutes because I didn't select the newer low-level terrain updates etc.
What do these offer? If these are selected would it take about an hour to upload them?

Apologies if this has been covered before but there isn't much guidance from either Dynon or Vans on this and quite frankly, it's frustrating.

This is a normal boot up process after updating to 11.0
Detailed in the list of changes / improvements released with 11.0 (completed list HERE) is the following....

Improved: SkyView displays start-up much quicker, allowing for quicker use of PFD and EMS functions. Map databases are now loaded after initial boot.

BTW, Dynon released updated low and very low res. terrain data bases at the same time they released 11.0 that should also be updated also.
More info HERE

Thanks SO much for that, I hadn't seen it before. Now it makes sense.

Think I'll wait to upload the terrain databases for a time when I can hook up external power since it takes so long.

Thanks again for the great response!

Confusion with updates

I am a bit confused. Hopefully, someone will understand this, and offer a comment.

I loaded the three following pieces of software on Aug 14, 2014
skyview_11.0_us_package_aug11.duc
reg-worldwide-low-res-terrain-2014-08-05.dup
reg-worldwide-very-low-res-terrain-2014-08-05.dup

Then on Oct 16, I loaded the current FAA database,
FAA_av_1411_ob_1405_11.0.duc (Nov, 2014 aviation data)

Now I see that there is a later 11.0 dated Oct 16 and a latter low, and very low terrain that shows a dates of 2014-08-26, just 21 days later than my earlier load. So, am I good, or do I need to load all of this again? It just seems odd that another update would be released so soon.

Tom

Help please. First time attemp to download from Dynon ....my computer says "to open this file windows needs to know what program to use to open it "

Tim

Dynon Support,

Whilst you're here?.recent Rotax SB says to reset temp and name for CHTs.

I'm not sure how to edit the Skyview so that I can check my max temp and also how to rename CHT to 'Coolant' or something similar.

Can you point me the right way? Thanks.

Back