What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Landing an RV-6

ccsmith51

Well Known Member
It looks like my RV-4 is sold, pending a successful compression check. Should not be an issue.

I will be looking for an RV-6. I have about 175 hours in the -4. I expect the -6 to handle about the same as the -4. My question is whether there will be much difference in the landing. Speed? Sight? Anything I should be overly concerned about?

Thanks,

Not really, no more difference than different 4's with different props, W&B, etc...
The site line over the cowl is not as good in the 6, but much better than a lot of machines. You will have to rely a bit more on your side view in the flare, which you should be doing anyway.
Your CG will be better when carrying a passenger. Carry a little extra speed when your heavy. Basic stuff....

You will have no issues....

It looks like my RV-4 is sold, pending a successful compression check. Should not be an issue.

I will be looking for an RV-6. I have about 175 hours in the -4. I expect the -6 to handle about the same as the -4. My question is whether there will be much difference in the landing. Speed? Sight? Anything I should be overly concerned about?

Thanks,

Landing same. Sight as Jon Jay said. The 6 is aweful.

Come on Mike. The Bucker is awful. The 6 is just the worst in the RV fleet, kind of like how the 8 looks..... Not that bad, just not as good as the rest:D

congrats

Congrats Chris. The -6 is a nice side by side deal. Over the fence the first time on a 5000ft runway I would recommend 80 to 85mph with about one turn on the throttle or a tad above idle. It will float but that's ok. The bottom tends to fall out around 73 to 75mph. 78mph was about right for me over the fence on a short strip. Get down on the deck and keep the nose on horizon but not too far back that you drag the tail. Just let it gradually settle. That throttle will go a long way in letting it settle slowly. You may need to add cushion so your head is close to canopy so you can develop the sight picture and see over the nose.

Once you get that OK, then 80mph over the fence works great single, 85 with two folks.

Good luck with the -6. I really enjoyed mine.

cj

Thanks,

The -6 tends to have the bottom drop out much quicker than the -4 when you start slowing down too quickly in the flare especially if you flare a bit too high. Application of throttle can help fix that, as others have said but I've learned to prefer a bit higher airspeed and use up a bit more runway to try and keep the touchdown smooth. I also think it tends to bounce a little worse than the -4, and mine is equipped with wooden gear leg stiffeners.

The speeds of 80 MPH solo, and 85 MPH heavy when you're over the fence are pretty good "magic numbers" in my -6 too. The more hours and landings I have, I've been able to work that down a little bit, as I get more and more accustomed to how quickly things happen during the landing process in this little short-wing airplane. Don't let it balloon in the flare either, or it will mess up your landing and you'd probably better go around unless you've got enough runway left to try again.

Saying a quick little prayer asking for a smooth touchdown and a straight rollout each time on short final probably doesn't hurt either :D

Before getting my -6, all the RV time I had before was in the -4 and -8, and the flip-flop of which hand was on stick and throttle was a little weird to get used to at first, but within a few hours I finally got the hang of that... I think... Whenever I get back in a tandem taildragger, I quickly realize that God intended for you to work the stick with your right hand and the throttle with your left :p however I still cannot fly my -6 from the right seat, it just feels much too weird.

Landing

Chris,

I also went from an RV-4 to an RV-6. As others have said, 80mph to 85mph works best, and usually carry a little bit of power. I also prefer wheel landings, but it does take up more runway that way. I now have about 70 hours in it, but I still find it harder to land it consistently well than the 4. As to the sight picture, completely different. Much better in the 4, both over the nose and of course from the sides. However, the 6 is a very nice airplane. You will get used to it in not time. Also, as far as cross country flight, even solo, it is much nicer to have the extra space up front.

Fernando

RV6 landing

The comments hold true. Bottom will fall out in a heartbeat...be ready with throttle. For me...wheel landings are my usual. That way I can carry that little extra speed and see over the nose. I like 75mph over the numbers and just hold it off and feel for the runway and plant it. Usually a smooth landing. If the wheel landing goes sour, I don't try to salvage it, I go immediately to a 3-point, otherwise it will bounce and bounce and bounce.....:eek:

Aweful - great - :cool:

Awful - not so great

Awe+ful = profound and reverent dread of the supernatural (lots of it)

or = a respectful fear inspired by authority (lots of it)

As was explained by one of the guys at Vans in a recent discussion, the 6 gear leg will flex out and aft, in and up, and there in lies the challenge landing the beast.

Some guys are very good at getting it done - most of the time. :)

I respect and fear the 6 for landing, the 8 is more friendly for sure.

I have some time in a wood prop RV-6. Landing it is like landing the long gear RV-4 with a 175LB person in back of the -4 but with worse visibility.

Landing

My 6 will stall at 60mph with full flaps, and I use 80mph over the numbers for all weights, and more speed for higher cross winds. I will typically wheel land, and use a three point landing if the wheel landing bounces.

Chad

Back