What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The simple life

cjensen

Well Known Member
It's been a while since I had flown the EAA RV-6A. I've been spending most of my flying time and money in the Cub (which is a simple life story of it's own) in the last year or so, but I recently pulled out the RV-6A, and I was reminded, again, just how good these airplanes really are.

The 6A that EAA built years ago was built for a single purpose: to fly as many Young Eagles from Pioneer Airport as possible. They built two of them, and flew the daylights out of them. N6YE is the one that is in the EAA flying club, and because it was so purposefully built, it's just stone simple. Carb'd 320, no GPS, just a radio, xponder, and a panel of necessary round gauges.

The airplane is just a blast to fly. It's light and the 150 horse Lycoming (freshly overhauled) just pulls and pulls...who needs 200+ when this things does what it does on 150!? A simple, lightweight 6A...life is good with this airplane. :cool:

It looks a little different than when this pic was taken last year with new old EAA logo graphics and no nose pant, but I just had to take a moment to make a quick post about how much fun lightweight 6's are to fly.

423158_4203135716859_1023508091_n_zpsf55f3781.jpg

Nice post Chad. I'm pretty happy with how my O-320 / Warnke powered -6 performs, and the handling is outstanding!

Gotta love a great design that is such pleasure to fly.

Simple life

Chad,
You're spot on with "The simple life", these airplanes fly perfect when kept light and simple.
My 8, is 986 EOW 160hp, 0320 D3G. Look up my tail number 819MW on Airliners.net . A gent from the Netherlands took the picture and posted it, a friend told me about it, man was I surprised.
You have broken Van's code!

Regards
Mark

Totally agree Chad. Not sorry I put an O320 E2D 150hp in 782P at all.

Still grinn'n after 8 years. :cool:

Well so far I think I'm about 2.4 hours ahead of him since I don't think he's flown it this year yet!;):cool:

I'll be sure to give him a hard time if he goes skiing with us this weekend!

Hi Chad

Next time you're out in the RV6A you should pop down to FLD and take a look at my project. I'm really happy with how my vertical power install came out...great product!

Don't forget the little people...

While your out flying around visiting people, some would think its about time you got back around home to visit the little people...

Hope alls well.

I hear ya Ben! Actually thought I was gonna be down last week but didn't pan out. Hopefully soon!

Back