What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin pilot vs Foreflight

Do you use Garmin Pilot or Foreflight?

• Garmin Pilot

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • Foreflight

Votes: 128 61.5%
  • What the heck is an EFB??

Votes: 8 3.8%

• Total voters

moll780

Well Known Member
So im at a juncture... for several reasons I can either go garmin pilot or stay with foreflight.
I love foreflight and have tried gpilot and like it as well.
what do you prefer?
Garmin Pilot or Foreflight?

please lets not make this about the platform, but about the app.

Or Sky Charts Pro???

I use both Sky Charts, and Garmin Pilot.

Pilot does a lot more, but is much harder to figure out.

Are you looking to use the APP for VFR or IFR???

I chose Foreflight, and have continued to do so each year since. The primary reason is that it is is app that more closely aligns with how I plan a flight than Garmin Pilot. Subjectively, Foreflight just feels more responsive or "snappier" than Pilot does - at least on my hardware.

I am looking for consistency

It is apparent that Foreflight has a better and easier to use product (for now), but Garmin's Pilot is very good and it getting better every day. I am building an all Garmin cockpit and I figure that the ability to have consistency between my EFB and the PFD will be important.

In the beginning I tried the trail period for both and GPilot was horrible. I have used FF for about 3-4 years now. I now have a full Garmin panel so I tried GPilot again and still cannot give up FF. I think it is a better product as well as I am used to the FF.

It comes down to the hardware platform

I used ForeFlight for a couple of years before I switched to Garmin Pilot. I find ForeFlight to be the superior app, however, the iPad Mini is just about useless in the bubble canopy of the RV on a sunny day. I used a Nexus 7 (2013 model) which has a wonderfully bright screen on it (550 nits). It's readable in any lighting condition without needing to adjust the mounting angle. It's a fraction of what the iPad Mini cost to boot ($145 for a refurb). While the transition was tough to make from ForeFlight to Garmin Pilot, I really enjoy the app now. It gets me where I need to be safely.

Either/or

I have used Foreflight for several years but I signed up for a trial 90 days with Garmin Pilot. I essentially found them to be equivalent. If I were to find a nuance in one that I liked, I could usually go and find the same feature in the other. It also appears that the price is equivalent. I have a Garmin IFR panel but found that Foreflight on a RAM mounted iPad was very helpful for additional situational awareness. My opinion is that you can't go wrong with either one.

I have a g3x/gtn650 panel and find foreflight to still be quite useful. Unlike the previous poster I do not have any issue reading my iPad mini under a bubble canopy. You do have to turn the brightness up in the ipad settings AND in foreflight settings...and it works just fine. I tried the cheaper tablets and found them to be less useful. The app advantage still falls heavily to apple in my mind with far less likelihood that they will clash and cause crashes etc like I saw far too often in the off-apple brands. Just my humble opinion, worth less than two Lincoln's.

I used ForeFlight for a couple of years before I switched to Garmin Pilot. I find ForeFlight to be the superior app, however, the iPad Mini is just about useless in the bubble canopy of the RV on a sunny day. I used a Nexus 7 (2013 model) which has a wonderfully bright screen on it (550 nits). It's readable in any lighting condition without needing to adjust the mounting angle. It's a fraction of what the iPad Mini cost to boot ($145 for a refurb). While the transition was tough to make from ForeFlight to Garmin Pilot, I really enjoy the app now. It gets me where I need to be safely.

Same story here. Started with FF and an iPad. Can't see iPad in an -8. I *CAN* see my Samsung Note everyday smartphone. It mounts on a bracket on the right side of my panel.

So... I dumped ForeFlight and my iPad. Now use Garmin Pilot very happily. It and all my current charts go with me everywhere - ground or flying.

Now that I've found the new upgrade "VFR" screen overlay (see below), it's even more readable in the plane. Still a few little weird quirks about navigating. But I've learned the routine, and they've fixed a few over the last year or so.

1pT4TrDi-hh_yD1oQI44_OpMIBXM2zhXSSjukzDOP5k=w116-h207-p-no
KZIJ5BQw_h4JXOgxs3EBed2ZZHBCrNAZotQG03Aop-A=w128-h228-p-no

Last edited:
I used Foreflight for two years. Switched to Garmin pilot for a year and then switched back to Foreflight remembering it to be easier to use.

My conclusion is that Garmin is little less organized but the VFR chart display is so much quicker and easier to interpret "when I'm only giving it a one second glance each time" that I'm switching back before my FF subscription expires.

I have seen FF add a number of recent enhancements but since many are tied to a higher subscription plan, I do not use them. This means I compare FF and GP on the entry level features.

They both have great features. They both have advantages. I've used both for extended flight seasons.

04-Jan-2015 Update: I switched to GP since most of my panel is Garmin. I also look forward to see the eventual/future/advertised Connext integration between GP and the G3X system(s). (BTW: while it is described in Garmin marketing materials, Connext between Garmin Pilot and G3X Touch is not available as of this post's update date.)

Last edited:
I have a full garmin panel but for this I vote for Foreflight. Foreflight ought to be proud of the results of this pole. They definitely got it right the first time. just think if they made avionics;)

I have used both and think that the best app will be defined by your needs and intended use. I think Pilot is better VFR and Forflight a bit better IFR but that could change based on specific operations. For me, Pilot seems simple and intuitive for VFR flying.

The complaint I have about both is that the sectional Tab information (sua details, ARSA freqs and tower. hours of operation) are missing from the charts. While some of the info can be found other places in the app, it is not all there and seems so easy to add.

Anything that gets you out of Apple's proprietary world is a good thing. And from a value standpoint, there is simply no comparison. The Nexus 7 Android tablet is superior to the mini-iPad in every way.

Example: We owned an iPad. It was so bloody expensive that we treated it like a raw egg. The fear of dropping or losing it permeated our every action, and we NEVER left it unattended in a coffee shop, due to fear of theft.

Between that, and the stifling Apple ecosystem, it drove us nuts. So I sold it on EBay.

The Nexus 7 has been everything the iPad was not. We have owned five of them between the three of us. Twice we have smashed them, due to carelessness, and although it's not "cheap", replacing my wife's $169 Nexus 7 sure beat replacing a $500+ iPad.

The fact that we have smashed two of them, BTW, is an indication of the level of use we get out of them. These things literally go everywhere with us, and I would bet we use them 2+ hours per day, every day. They ain't just for use in the plane.

I've used Garmin Pilot since it was introduced in 2012. In that brief period, it has evolved into a stable platform that does everything I could ever want from an aviation app. It is fast, displays traffic and weather flawlessly, and is rock-solid stable. We keep the Nexus 7 mounted in the back cockpit, and by toggling between Garmin Pilot and GRT's amazing EFIS app, we have every piece of flight info imaginable, instantly available.

I can't recommend the combo of Nexus 7, GDL-39, and Garmin Pilot more highly. It is simply a terrific combination, and gives RV-8 owners the best possible path to complete instrumentation in the back hole.

Anything that gets you out of Apple's proprietary world is a good thing. And from a value standpoint, there is simply no comparison. The Nexus 7 Android tablet is superior to the mini-iPad in every way.

Example: We owned an iPad. It was so bloody expensive that we treated it like a raw egg. The fear of dropping or losing it permeated our every action, and we NEVER left it unattended in a coffee shop, due to fear of theft.

Between that, and the stifling Apple ecosystem, it drove us nuts. So I sold it on EBay.

The Nexus 7 has been everything the iPad was not. We have owned five of them between the three of us. Twice we have smashed them, due to carelessness, and although it's not "cheap", replacing my wife's $169 Nexus 7 sure beat replacing a $500+ iPad.

The fact that we have smashed two of them, BTW, is an indication of the level of use we get out of them. These things literally go everywhere with us, and I would bet we use them 2+ hours per day, every day. They ain't just for use in the plane.

I've used Garmin Pilot since it was introduced in 2012. In that brief period, it has evolved into a stable platform that does everything I could ever want from an aviation app. It is fast, displays traffic and weather flawlessly, and is rock-solid stable. We keep the Nexus 7 mounted in the back cockpit, and by toggling between Garmin Pilot and GRT's amazing EFIS app, we have every piece of flight info imaginable, instantly available.

I can't recommend the combo of Nexus 7, GDL-39, and Garmin Pilot more highly. It is simply a terrific combination, and gives RV-8 owners the best possible path to complete instrumentation in the back hole.

The stuff you can learn from others just by reading here.:) I have an RV 8. I'm dumping my iPad mini that I can't see under the bubble canopy, and getting a Nexus 7

What am I missing?

I use neither of them.

However, I have a SkyView and have left my 496 in the panel.

I do my flight planning on www.SkyVector.com and the AOPA site & Android App.

For the first part of the year I was commuting between Houston, TX and Greenville, SC and didn't ever feel the need for more information.

That said, I must be missing something but for the life of me, I can't figure out what it would be.

I use both

I have been using the garmin pilot for over a year. I have a current subscription to both the garmin pilot and foreflight. I use them both on an iPad and my iPhone 5 in the front seat of a -4. The garmin pilot is superior in my estimation and I will let my foreflight subscription expire. Pilot has come out with significant improvements over the past year and it is not the same app that I started with. My -8 is nearing completion with a full garmin suite including a GDL39 which will be pumping info to my Girl GIB
P.S. Bill borrow my iPad and take garmin pilot for a spin again. I think you'll like what they've done with it over the last 16 months!

What am I missing?

I use neither of them.

For the first part of the year I was commuting between Houston, TX and Greenville, SC and didn't ever feel the need for more information.

That said, I must be missing something but for the life of me, I can't figure out what it would be.

I don't use either either, but I do have WingX installed on my iPad and iPhone. I find that I use WingX for preliminary planning outside the cockpit. Once airborne, they both are typically found laying on the back seat.

I used them as backup up copies of charts and plates. Normal flights I have no need to look at them, because everything I need is displayed on one of the three AFS screens.

Btw, my decision to choose WingX was solely based upon the fact that the Garmin and Foreflight apps can't display traffic or weather from my Navworx ADS-B unit.

What am I missing?

I use neither of them.

With three airplanes with full IFR EFIS's, that's a lot of databases if you want to make sure you always have up to date charts on board. We own two iPads - for $75 each per year, we always have updated charts along - no matter what we have done with EFI databases.....

With three airplanes with full IFR EFIS's, that's a lot of databases if you want to make sure you always have up to date charts on board. We own two iPads - for $75 each per year, we always have updated charts along - no matter what we have done with EFI databases.....

Do you really pay $75 per yr for each iPad for FF? You can have it on two iPads and 1 phone for $75/yr VFR or $150/yr for IFR.

Actually, I am not sure that this has been brought up, but don't you have to have to handhelds with charts to be legal? if you don't have paper back up.

I carry 1 iPad and 1 phone with FF. On longer flights, I throw in my older iPad with FF.

What am I missing?

I use neither of them.

Why do I have a a tablet based nav/info system? As already mentioned in one form or another, this (GP) is my "official" source of onboard flying info. It's a secondary source of nav/airport info to my portable Garmin. I have the phone up on the panel for tunes already. And if I want to plan a trip, I just pull the phone out of my pocket and go after it.

Last edited:
Flight Plan to GPS?

Do any of the standalone flight planners allow for direct transfers to the panel devices (EFIS)?

Do any of the standalone flight planners allow for direct transfers to the panel devices (EFIS)?

Wouldn't that be cool? Flight plan with Foreflight and dump that into my SkyView, with updates for rubber-banding...

Bob

The stuff you can learn from others just by reading here.:) I have an RV 8. I'm dumping my iPad mini that I can't see under the bubble canopy, and getting a Nexus 7

I have a Nexus 7 too but use the free Avare app. It worked very well on my trip to Johnson Creek last month.

This thread has been helpful to me so thank you all for your opinions. I am going to get set up with a Nexus 7 and the Garmin Pilot app.

My question is, does the Nexus 7 have an internal GPS? I've read about it online and nothing I've seen mentions an internal GPS.

If in fact it does not have a GPS, then I would HAVE to buy the GDL-39 right?

All I'm looking for at this point is a replacement for VFR charts. But if I just go with the Nexus and nothing else, does it have the moving map feature like regular handheld GPS's?

Thanks!

This thread has been helpful to me so thank you all for your opinions. I am going to get set up with a Nexus 7 and the Garmin Pilot app.

My question is, does the Nexus 7 have an internal GPS? I've read about it online and nothing I've seen mentions an internal GPS.

If in fact it does not have a GPS, then I would HAVE to buy the GDL-39 right?

All I'm looking for at this point is a replacement for VFR charts. But if I just go with the Nexus and nothing else, does it have the moving map feature like regular handheld GPS's?

Thanks!

My personal experience is this:

I love Garmin Pilot. It is a great app and getting better with every release. Their customer service is excellent, helpful and responsive.

I now use GP as my primary chart source and carry paper as a backup. I have installed it on two devices so that if one crashes or runs out of battery I am not stuck. Right now I would recommend going to a store and installing the trial version of the app on the floor model to check its performance. I am using a Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 (NOT the tab plus) as it has a ridiculously fast Snapdragon processor. My LG G2 phone also has the Snapdragon processor, which as of a few months ago was what I found to be the best performer with Garmin Pilot of all the ones I tested.

Top things to look for in a tablet for Garmin Pilot:
Fastest processor you can get
Highest screen pixel density
Decent storage capability
Internal GPS

The Samsung tablets have very good internal GPSs but I also use a GDL39. If you buy the GDL39 make sure you spring for the battery pack--do not rely on ship's power to run it. In my experience the cigarette lighter power adapter tends to vibrate enough to interrupt power for very short intervals which makes the GDL39 keep resetting. The battery fixes that, just keep it plugged in to ships power so it keeps charging.

Wow just looked at that Galaxy Pro-very nice! I do like the slightly larger screen and the faster processor. It's quite a bit more expensive, but nice.

Do you have the 16 GB version or the 32? I would prefer the lower cost of the 16 if that's enough to run Garmin Pilot.

EDIT: actually it's not that much more expensive as listed on Amazon.com

Last edited:

Thanks!

The Nexus 7 does have a GPS, and it works very well. When I first got it I tried it in the Sherpa and it was always dead on with the dual FMS onboard. I like that I can close the app or sleep the tablet and it only takes a few moments to re-acquire a good position.

Wow just looked at that Galaxy Pro-very nice! I do like the slightly larger screen and the faster processor. It's quite a bit more expensive, but nice.

Do you have the 16 GB version or the 32? I would prefer the lower cost of the 16 if that's enough to run Garmin Pilot.

EDIT: actually it's not that much more expensive as listed on Amazon.com

I have the 16GB version and it is definitely adequate. Garmin Pilot also allows you to store your downloads on a removable SD Card so the base capacity of the tablet itself really isn't an issue.

iPad in an RV-8A

Don't understand the iPadf/RV-8 issues. I'm 6 ft tall, left handed and use iPad with the slim Sporty's kneeboard on my left knee. Garmin 496 and AFS 4500 on the panel. No problem integrating all three. Just have to ocasionally adjust kneeboard for viewing in sunlight. Not a big deal in return for all the Apple advantages.

Unending virus issues with my previous PC - now I don't have viruses with my Mac, iPad and iPhone.!

firelight but flighstream 210 .....

I use firelight i i love it.
I also have a 430w and i am trying the garmin pilot because if i buy the flightstream 210 i would be able to program the 430 with the ipad.
I fing garmin pilot less intuitive but i haven't give it a real chance because in flight, when i don't find what i want, i switch to foreflight.

To be continue

Since this thread started i've been using GP almost 100% exclusively for sectionals, weather (both preflight and inflight) and all the usual preflight (TFR checking for example).

My foreflight subscription has expired and has been deleted.

I have GP installed on both the iPad and my samsung galaxy s5 and really almost never use the iPad anymore. In the last few months its not even made it to the plane and I'll prolly keep it only as a backup for x-country flights... or maybe not. who knows.

Yeah. so GP isnt really the best app.. I also have avaire and a couple of others but really just stick with GP. it works, re-draws fast, gives me everything I need both before and during the flight and easy to charge with any USB but has awesome battery life.

I used it to/from and all over oshkosh this summer. I got a 7500mh extended battery for it and even with all the photos, videos and flashlight usage it lasted 3 days before needing a charge while eating terrible bbq at the charcoal pit.

anyway.. the farther I get away from iWhatever the better i feel..

My personal experience is this:

I love Garmin Pilot. It is a great app and getting better with every release. Their customer service is excellent, helpful and responsive.

I now use GP as my primary chart source and carry paper as a backup. I have installed it on two devices so that if one crashes or runs out of battery I am not stuck. Right now I would recommend going to a store and installing the trial version of the app on the floor model to check its performance. I am using a Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 (NOT the tab plus) as it has a ridiculously fast Snapdragon processor. My LG G2 phone also has the Snapdragon processor, which as of a few months ago was what I found to be the best performer with Garmin Pilot of all the ones I tested.

Top things to look for in a tablet for Garmin Pilot:
Fastest processor you can get
Highest screen pixel density
Decent storage capability
Internal GPS

The Samsung tablets have very good internal GPSs but I also use a GDL39. If you buy the GDL39 make sure you spring for the battery pack--do not rely on ship's power to run it. In my experience the cigarette lighter power adapter tends to vibrate enough to interrupt power for very short intervals which makes the GDL39 keep resetting. The battery fixes that, just keep it plugged in to ships power so it keeps charging.

I tried Garmin Pilot for another trial month and compared it to Foreflight. I find that I missed Foreflight's folder of airport favorites, as I like to see several favorites all in a row displaying their weather. Gives me an overview of the area at a glance. I also like how Foreflight gives wind components for all runways at an aiport. Makes for easy runway choice on cross countries to unfamiliar airports. I'm not fond of how Pilot leaves TFR areas up full time, even after expiring. Foreflight only puts them up when active as far as I have seen.

On the other side of the coin I do like how Garmin Pilot interacts with my GDL39 for weather and traffic...but with a G3X tracking both of those things I find it unnecessary in my IPad. The Garmin servers also seem to be significantly faster than Foreflight, taking far less time to load all charts.

The Pilot has come a long way since last I used it...but I still slightly prefer Foreflight and love the IPad in my -8.

Garmin Pilot vs Foreflight

I'm a Garmin Pilot user because of the DROID platform. But I've also tried ForeFlight and it is very good. But per the app here are a couple things. I feel like the Garmin HOME location from where you choose Maps, Planning, etc hides the top level functions while ForeFlight shows the high level functions as tabs along the bottom. I like that part of ForeFlight enough that I might switch if it weren't for the Apple product. Maybe Garmin will read this and show their functions as tabs.

But another thing about Garmin Pilot is its parallel look n feel to its in dash GPS. I like the common look in feel since I have a Garmin in the panel now and plan to put a new one in my RV7A when done.

Also Garmin support is terrific. They answer email questions.

thanks

ATTENTION CANADIAN USER

I bought the canadian premium subscription. I am a new user of garmin pilot and always have been with firelight. The only reason i bought garmin pilot is because i bought a flightstream 210 that i will install to be able to program my 430w.

SURPRISE . The canadian premium subscription don't come with the IFR low or High enroute chart for canada. ( I have it with foreflight)
There is the answer to my email to garmin ( i thought there was a problem with my subscription but what you see is what you get)

My email (I have the canada premium subscription. When i go on the map for ifr low chart, even if have all canada chart download, don't have all canada chart display. It look like i have only the southern canada and us even if i don't have a us subscription
Can you help.
Vinh)

Their answer : (The Canada subscriptions does offer Jeppesen Navigation data and Canada Flite Charts (approach procedures), however there are no low/high IFR enroute charts or sectional charts available in the Canada subscription. You are seeing the overlap of the US IFR low charts.

Thank you and best regards, )

Hope they plan to offer it in the futur. If not, I don't suggest canadian to buy it One goal for me of this app was to replace paper ( i always have a paper copy in the airplane but don't want to have paper chart in front of me if i don't need it. )

Back