What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Another RV-8 Flies

vic syracuse

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Mentor
In January of this year I picked up a partially-completed RV-8 from a local builder, Paul Ledoux. Paul decided to build an RV-12 instead, and that is coming along very nicely. I always wanted an 8, and didn't think anyone was going to let me fly theirs. :) Well, I finally finished it and made 3 test flights today.

Here are the specs:
Lycoming IO-360-M1B, with Lightspeed on top and mag on the bottom.
Hartzell C/S Blended Airfoil propeller
AFS 5600, Garmin 430W, PS-6000 Audio panel, AFS Autopilot, GRT Mini-B.

It was hot today, almost 90F at takeoff, but I was pleasantly surprised. The hottest CHT was 415 before it started back down, and oil temp never got above 177, even with a hot climb to 5500'. Will probably need to louver the cooler in the winter if this keeps up.
Flies hands off in cruise and at 75 KTS with full flaps. Stalls so far seemed to indicate 61 clean and 55 dirty, power off. No wheel pants on it right now, and at 24/24 it showed TAS of 155 KTS.

Yes, I wheel landed it all 3 times. :)

Yes, it's unpainted. 2 bouts of cancer and we decided I don't paint anymore.

Very pleased!

Vic

Last edited:
Congratulations!

Another great accomplishment! And beautiful panel.

Now you will have to let me know whether you like it better than flying a 4. ;)

Regards,

Fernando

Vic,
Congats. Wish I could have been there but I was coming home from Arkansas today.
It really makes me happy to see the plane flying at last.
You have done it proud.
I have to get down there and see it.
Paul

Thanks!

Thanks for all of the kind words.

Dan, that is the Airwolf remote oil filter. I always use them. It seems to make it easier to change the oil, as well as they claim they are good for 10-15 degrees of cooling, which I am inclined to believe as I don't have any oil cooling issues.

Vic

Glad to hear you're now flying the Thoroughbred of the two-seat line Vic. Next stop.....RV-3! :)

Wow! That was fast....

I didn't think you were that far along when I was down end of July.
Congrats, Vic.

Nice....very nice Mr. Syracuse

Now come on over to the Spitfire for lunch & we can do a little Rv1/RV8 if it's in the "box". Or after the 40 is done. :D. My TKR is scheduled for next Monday the 8th(that's total knee replacement).:p

Back