What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Changing N Number

edclee

Well Known Member
Patron
I have researched the threads and found some of the info I need and found on the FAA website instructions for applying for a new N number and I have prepared a letter to send with my $10 to get my already reserved registration. The question is. Since this is an E-AB aircraft and the Operating Limitations are part of the registration, apparently I get all this accomplished through the local FSDO. Well, right now they are virtually shut down and contact to get something done like issuing new Ops Lims seems to me a daunting task. Has anyone been through this process recently since the FSDOs have been shut down except for phone calls?
Ed in SC, RV-9A

I have researched the threads and found some of the info I need and found on the FAA website instructions for applying for a new N number and I have prepared a letter to send with my $10 to get my already reserved registration. The question is. Since this is an E-AB aircraft and the Operating Limitations are part of the registration, apparently I get all this accomplished through the local FSDO. Well, right now they are virtually shut down and contact to get something done like issuing new Ops Lims seems to me a daunting task. Has anyone been through this process recently since the FSDOs have been shut down except for phone calls?
Ed in SC, RV-9A

Easiest to use a DAR.

DAR

Easiest to use a DAR.

Mel, I am in SC and damned if I can find anyone who claims to have the necessary authorization codes. I have no idea what codes are necessary to do this. Can you tell me whether I need to search for a DAR-T, F, C, D, or whatever. Once I find one of those, what codes are necessary to do this? So far the first four people I have contacted say they dont have the necessary authorization codes.

Only the government can make something so enigmatic.

Color me frustrated....Ed

Technically it should be a DAR-T, but a DAR-F can also do it. DAR-T would need FC 147. DAR-F would need FC 57.
These Function Codes relate to Experimental Amateur-Built, fixed wing, non-turbine aircraft.

Thanks

Technically it should be a DAR-T, but a DAR-F can also do it. DAR-T would need FC 147. DAR-F would need FC 57.
These Function Codes relate to Experimental Amateur-Built, fixed wing, non-turbine aircraft.

Thanks for that info. How would an ordinary human know or find out this stuff?
Ed

Ed in SC, RV-9A

Hi Ed,

I actually went through the process by myself last May during the height of the Covid confusion. I did everything over the phone with our Scottsdale FSDO rep, who was also sitting at home (probably in his underwear). He issued the new N number and Operating Limitations without me needing to visit the FSDO office, and I got everything in the mail a few days later. It was super easy.

If you haven't looked into the paperwork requirements, you'll need the following items:

1. $10 N Number change fee payment
2. Confirmation of reservation of N number letter from FAA
3. Aircraft Bill of Sale
4. Aircraft Registration Application
5. A cover letter with your request to make the N number change

That's it! Believe it or not, I think *now* is the time to do N number changes since the FAA is doing everything from their "home offices". They're even doing their own FAA academy online instead of going to Oklahoma City. I have a buddy who's a new FAA inspector. He gets to do all of his training at the kitchen table with his kids running around screaming, rather than going to classes and staying in a hotel.

edclee,

I’ll echo Karl’s experience with Scottsdale FSDO.

I just went through the process. I got my letter authorizing the N Number change, then I called the FSDO. The nice lady had one of the FSDO guys call me back, and he walked me through the online process.

Mike Goyer; super nice guy.

IF that had worked, it would have been very simple. The FAA just put this online system into use because of COVID. Alas, I was on a Mac, so he ended up doing it for me. (Apparently the site only works with IE and Chrome or Mozilla, not Safari.) Within an hour and a half, he had emailed me my temporary registration AND new Limitations. Boom. Off to the airport!

Just as simple as that. It’s the way it should be, and I was more than pleased it was so quick and easy.

Let us know how it turns out.

Last edited:
Don't forget to get your Airworthiness Certificate corrected to show the new tail number. Do not request to change the AWC or the inspector can misinterpret and make you get an unneeded AW inspection. Don't ask me how I know. :(

Back