What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Annual questions

kevinh

Well Known Member
Hi,

I'm working on my 'staged' annual. A few questions on standard practice:

• Would you recommend checking the engine mount to firewall torques? (would involve a person inside and replacing some cotter pins)
  • Same question, but should I check the dynofocal lord mount torques?
  • Should the external mag timing be checked with the engine hot, or does temperature not matter?
  • I'll be checking the main spar bolt torques (I have an A model and I've heard they get a little loose during the first year of flight). Should I remove the cotter pin so I can check the torque on the aft spar bolt?

I've constructed a check list based on various annuals on the web, but I'm curious about these things in particular.

kevinh said:
Hi,

I'm working on my 'staged' annual. A few questions on standard practice:

• Would you recommend checking the engine mount to firewall torques? (would involve a person inside and replacing some cotter pins)
  • Same question, but should I check the dynofocal lord mount torques?
  • Should the external mag timing be checked with the engine hot, or does temperature not matter?
  • I'll be checking the main spar bolt torques (I have an A model and I've heard they get a little loose during the first year of flight). Should I remove the cotter pin so I can check the torque on the aft spar bolt?

I've constructed a check list based on various annuals on the web, but I'm curious about these things in particular.

Follow part 43 Appendix D http://www.risingup.com/fars/info/part43-D-APPX.shtml for the inspection.

Your Operating Limitations should say something like this:

Condition inspections must be recorded in the aircraft maintenance records showing the following, or a similarly worded, statement:
?I certify that this aircraft has been inspected on [insert date] in accordance with the scope and detail of appendix D to part 43, and was found to be in a condition for safe operation.?
The entry will include the aircraft?s total time-in-service, and the name, signature, certificate number, and type of certificate held by the person performing the inspection.

After 1,872.5 hobbs hours over a little less than 9 years, I have yet to check the torque on the bolts you mention.

Mag Timing does not care if the engine is hot or cold.

Do not forget to inspect your ELT IAW 91.207(d). http://www.risingup.com/fars/info/part91-207-FAR.shtml Many guys miss this and the ASI from a FSDO doing a ramp check could squwak it. You need to test the "G" switch as part of the inspection.

http://www.rvdar.com

Testing the "G" switch

Gary, I am also doing an annual. How do I test the ELT "G" switch?
Leland

Leland said:
Gary, I am also doing an annual. How do I test the ELT "G" switch?

My ACK ELT manual had instructions - essentially, "smack it against your calibrated hand" and listen for the beeping on 121.5. But check your particular manual.

elt etc

There are three ways to check the elt... First you take it apart to check for corrosion and the battery date.... Then you put it back together and turn on your radio to 121.5 and turn it on... not armed but on. Then you turn it to armed and do an acceleration in the direction of the arrow and then a sudden stop against your hand... or do a both hand grab and push and pull hard... or if it is one of the long ones like the new pipers have... you have to jumper two pins together.... cant tell you unless you ask me in private.... That concludes the elt inspection... just cause the light is on does not mean it's putting out the correct amount of energy... listen for it. then install it and place it on arm. I will also email you a checklist for you to use privately if you ask...
Thanks
Brian
AP/IA
N41RC
N357BW reserved....
write if you have any questions

elt ps

PS... there are alot of G-switch problems these days... call me at 404-405-1315... Anyone if you have questions!!! I can show you where to ship it if you have any questions..
Merl Inc in CT
Brian
dont forget your remote switch!!!

Test with an AM radio - Required

Ameri-King also recommends a test with an AM radio 6 inches away from the antenna. This is to check the wiring to the antenna. The planes comm. receiver set to 121.5 is too sensitive, and will hear the ELT even if the antenna cable is completely disconnected....

Manual here...
http://www.ameri-king.com/pdf/9.1.22.pdf

Artex says the same thing...
http://www.artex.net/pdfs/570-1032 Rev F.pdf

And ACK
http://www.ackavionics.com/images/Model_e-01_ELT_Manual.pdf

Actually, I think it's a specific, mandated FAA item, but the FAA web site is presently down.... :(

The regulatory document should be here.... I think.... :confused:

http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulator...ffb0f32bd3a7d17b86256818006e975f?OpenDocument

gil in Tucson

Don't smack the ELT on anything for the test (including your hand). If anything just hold it and shake it. (Refer to Artex ME406 Elt manual for instance)

If you smack the elt on something you are most likely exceeding the shock rating of the TSO which those were certified to. Shock does not equal acceleration. You can get hundreds or thousands of g's of shock loading when something is hit verses a relatively gentle shake is all you need.

If you don't believe me, read the TSO test requirements then read RTCA DO160 or Mil-STD-810 to see how shock is much different than vibration.

Remember also that even though we do it "annually" (and sometimes more frequently if we fly a lot: say every 100 hours.....) it is called a CONDITION Inspection. And, as previously stated, is logged as such.

I'm not up on all the details, but be real careful with the 406 MHz ELTs. It will broadcast the code real quick and the search and rescue folks will get real excited real quick.

Be careful now, and somebody with more knowledge, please contribute!

From AOPA:

The Aeronautical Information Manual includes guidance on proper testing procedures. Regardless of where the ELT is, or the duration of activation, a 406 MHz ELT broadcast will be detected and a response initiated unless proper coordination is conducted in advance. Any testing of a 406 MHz ELT should be done in accordance with manufacturer instructions, and some include a “self-test” function. As required by law, pilots with a 406 MHz ELT must also register their ELT, which will allow an expeditious identification of a false alert. For 121.5 MHz ELTs, testing is approved during the first 5 minutes after any hour for a maximum of three audible sweeps.

Definitely recommend checking torque on engine mount to firewall bolts, you can put a open end wrench on the nuts as a quick check, if you can turn them they need torque (I find these loose quite often).

Along that same line I seriously recommend checking all bolts that are primary load carriers with a wrench. I often find every bolt in the tail loose/under torqued. Carry this same practice with all primary structure bolts IMO, this also goes for verifying all jam nuts on controls are tight.

I've told folks for a long time, you can't tell if a bolt is tight by looking at it, you MUST to put a wrench on it!

OK, first, an RV by definition can never be "Airworthy", therefore, it does not get an "annual" inspection, reserved for Type Certified aircraft. It receives a "Condition Inspection" instead, to comply at least with FAR 43, appendix "D". It is not an "Annual", not a "Conditional" inspection, it is a "Condition" inspection to allow the repairman or A&P ( no IA needed) to attest that the aircraft is in a c"ondition for safe operation".

Regards,

DAR Gary

Back