What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 vs RV-14 Vertical Stab - SB related work

TimO

Well Known Member
I wasn't sure how to word the subject of this post, given the situation we're in today with the new Service Bulletin for rudder hinge bracket repair. But, I wanted to post this now, because I may be on to something that was missing in our RV-10 plans for many years now, and while doing the SB it would be the perfect time to remedy it. Hopefully someone from Vans will comment on this because it's got me scratching my head.

If you look at the RV-10 plans for Vertical Stabilizer attachment, you note that the forward end of the stabilizer mounts with a single bolt, secured with a castle nut and cotter pin. To me, this does imply the potential for rotational movement, and subsequent loosening of the nut. So that all makes sense.

Here is a clip from the plans: (Note that is is a Rev2, and I have no idea
which rev I used when building this back in 2005.

RV-10_11-6_Rev2.jpg

Now where it gets confusing is when you compare that to the basically identical situation of the RV-14.

Here is one pic from the same page in the RV-14 plans: (This page is a Rev 0 pic) Notice the "Contact Area" shown.

RV-14_11-06_Rev0.jpg

Now go on to page 11-8 on the RV-14 plans, which was Rev 2, and notice that it says to cover that contact area in anti-seize paste.

RV-14_11-08_Rev2.jpg

Ok, so maybe that movement is significant, and significant enough that you want to lubricate it? Or whatever they're protecting against with the anti-seize. What baffles me though, is why the RV-10 plans never mentioned this, but the RV-14 did, and, if the RV-14 plans are the correct thing to do, then why didn't the RV-10 plans ever receive this information...because I'm sure there are quite literally over a thousand RV-10's built that won't have any anti-seize on them.

As I said, this would be the perfect opportunity to rectify that, given that the new Service Bulletin requires removal of the vertical stabilizer. I would just like to hear if this is what we should all be doing, as part of that process.

Comments?

Page 11-6 Revision 2

It's there now. Page 11-6 Revision 2 calls for anti-seize on the mating surfaces

Ah yes, I see it on the one posted today on their plans updates site. So has it been there a while, or was that just posted with this revision on 11/6/2020? I'd never seen it before and ran across it when looking at something related to the RV-14, and that got me digging into my old RV-10 plans to find it, and I didn't.

I'm not sure how critical it is, but if it is at all, I figured now is the time to point it out because we're going to have hundreds of vertical stabs coming off for maintenance. May as well get it right when going back on.

Applying anti-seize is not on the plans Revision 1 Dated 1/13/04
It is in the plans Step 1 page 11-6 Revision 2 Dated 10/31/14

because we're going to have hundreds of vertical stabs coming off for maintenance. May as well get it right when going back on.

The SB says to inspect for cracks... and that the suspected cause is the rudder banging against the stops in the wind. I hope there are not hundreds of -10’s out there that don’t lock the rudder when parked.

Thanks Tim, I am still building and had not found Rev 2 recommending the Anti-Seize paste. It is now on the list!

Ah yes, I see it on the one posted today on their plans updates site. So has it been there a while, or was that just posted with this revision on 11/6/2020? I'd never seen it before and ran across it when looking at something related to the RV-14, and that got me digging into my old RV-10 plans to find it, and I didn't.

I'm not sure how critical it is, but if it is at all, I figured now is the time to point it out because we're going to have hundreds of vertical stabs coming off for maintenance. May as well get it right when going back on.

I feel like I am in the twilight zone. I bought my RV-10 (#41059) in 2009 and the anti-seize for the vertical stabilizer bracket was not noted in the plans. However, somewhere around 2016-2018, I recall reading (I believe through Vans) about the addition of anti-seize paste to that area so I removed the castellated nut during a condition inspection, added the anti seize, and moved on. Now, I can’t find any documentation about that. Nothing on the SBs or SIs or letters page of Vans website or anywhere else I check but I swear it didn’t come to me in a dream :) Strange. Maybe someone can solve the mystery for us.

VS

Tim,
Once you have your VS removed would you show us what your brackets look like after not having anti seize? I’m curious to see how much movement there actually is

Tim,
Once you have your VS removed would you show us what your brackets look like after not having anti seize? I’m curious to see how much movement there actually is

Fretting/fretting corrosion of the surfaces can happen with micro movements. And it will be educational to see how it looks. It does move. Just don't use a lead based anti-seize.

My 7 has a "fixed" front spar and the VS moves enough to fret the empennage intersection fairing into the fuse skin. I asked the paint shop to install UHMW tape under it.

Tim,

Sure, I'll try to get pics if I can remember. I'm not sure when I'll get it done but hopefully in November.

Back