What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

LED position bulbs and lenses

jeffsvan

Well Known Member
Looking at position lamps and domed lenses.

Should I get colored bulbs and clear lenses,
or colored lenses and all white bulbs?

What have you done and why?

LEDs are different

The reading I did before making the switch said the colored light produced by LEDs is a pure light of that color as opposed to the white light produced by an incandescent which is all colors combined. Passing colored LED light through a prism apparently does not yield the effect shown on a Pink Floyd album cover (Yes, I'm old since I owned said album when they were actually albums...in vinyl). Adding a colored lens to an incandescent "strips out" the other color in the white light allowing your selected color through. With an LED you use the colored bulb with the same colored lens. This is what I did and it works fine. I tried the white LED under a colored lens for comparison and while it produces the desired color (red or green in my case), the green LED under a green lens gave a better result in that it seemed to give off more light. Same for a red LED with a red lens so that is how I run mine. No scientific measurements, just light perception to the eye and light effect in a dark hangar.

Back