What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV3 Max prop pitch

Mycool

Well Known Member
Hi thought I would post here first, I have a RV3 with a 0-320 E3D and a Sensenich prop (70cm759-0-79) and plan to give it max cruise pitch. what is the max pitch that has successfully been done on this combo?

Thanks, but Im planning on repitching prop, Sensenich has 81 as cruise pitch setting, I was wondering if anyone went higher with data.

Prop selection

I had a Sensinich 70cm79 and considered repitching to 82. I think the max allowed would have been 83.
I opted for a new custom pitch Catto prop and have never regretted it. I can easily top 220 mph in level flight and the weight savings was a whopping 19 lbs off the nose. Weight is EVERYTHING in an RV-3, lighter the better. Those props are easily sold if in good condition and with logs...lots of new builders need something to get flying. That 79 pitch was great for climb but sucked on the top end. I would get out of it if you can.
Best of luck
Dave

I had a Sensinich 70cm79 and considered repitching to 82. I think the max allowed would have been 83.
I opted for a new custom pitch Catto prop and have never regretted it. I can easily top 220 mph in level flight and the weight savings was a whopping 19 lbs off the nose. Weight is EVERYTHING in an RV-3, lighter the better. Those props are easily sold if in good condition and with logs...lots of new builders need something to get flying. That 79 pitch was great for climb but sucked on the top end. I would get out of it if you can.
Best of luck
Dave

Dave, how much hp do you have on your -3?

Catto recommends 70 to 76 inch pitch on their props for the RV3. Interesting that your 79 was under pitched?

Prop mpitch

My Sensinich was 79 pitch. But Catto does not use the same numbers. One would think that they would be the same (forward progress per revolution given in inches) but I guess the answer is "it depends"
Craigs numbers are lower. I flew out there and bolted on a race prop from an RV-6, flew it to gather data and Craig worked his magic. With the race prop I was climbing out at 140 mph making 1750 fpm, top speed at 7,500 ft was about 218 (average for 3 leg triangle course). Mine has a bit different twist and tip shape I think...pretty aggressive.

I run 160 HP IO-320, carbon fiber engine cooling plenum with Sam James style custom cowling(reduced frontal area). It is pretty light, and all faired in and flushed, racing wheel pants. It qualified at Reno Air Races in 2001 and held some speed records early in life when it had an O-360 (200hp angle valve) with CS prop. She is a pretty fast machine.

Pictures if interested. I would have to look at the data sticker to confirm the pitch.
Cheers

Attachments

• N66GB small pic.jpg
    N66GB small pic.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 213
My Sensinich was 79 pitch. But Catto does not use the same numbers. One would think that they would be the same (forward progress per revolution given in inches) but I guess the answer is "it depends"
Craigs numbers are lower. I flew out there and bolted on a race prop from an RV-6, flew it to gather data and Craig worked his magic. With the race prop I was climbing out at 140 mph making 1750 fpm, top speed at 7,500 ft was about 218 (average for 3 leg triangle course). Mine has a bit different twist and tip shape I think...pretty aggressive.

I run 160 HP IO-320, carbon fiber engine cooling plenum with Sam James style custom cowling(reduced frontal area). It is pretty light, and all faired in and flushed, racing wheel pants. It qualified at Reno Air Races in 2001 and held some speed records early in life when it had an O-360 (200hp angle valve) with CS prop. She is a pretty fast machine.

Pictures if interested. I would have to look at the data sticker to confirm the pitch.
Cheers

Impressive little aircraft!

I already got the impression that Craigs numbers were different, so indeed apples and oranges.

I've ended up buying TnMike's 68x76 two-blade Catto, which supposedly will be good for a 160 hp O-320. Mine is a 150 hp, so I might end up going for 8.5:1 pistons to get the power up. Aircraft is going to end up extremely light though. I started my rebuild with 750 lbs and already have shed at least 25 from that number. So this might help.

So yes, interested in some more pictures of yours!

Thanks

Hans

P.S. Love your new paint job!

Last edited:
Back