What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin 430W & Dynon Skyview Question

RFazio

Well Known Member
I asked this question on the Dynon forum but did not get an answer. So, I?m asking here. I have a 430W, Skyview and a Val Nav2000 in my RV6. I do a lot of IFR practice flying and they work great. One thing that I though I was able to do in the past was to set the bearing 1 on the skyview to the 430 and bearing 2 to the Val, NAV 2000. This to compare the VOR bearings to each other and do the VOR error check. I would tune the 430 & the NAV 2000 to a local VOR and see the two needles on top of each other and know I was good. I would just tune the 430 NAV section to the frequency and make it active. Do the same on the Val. The two bearings would show up.

All of a sudden it?s not working. The garmin gives me no indication. I?m going crazy trying to figure out why and it seems I must not only tune the 430 to the frequency but must tell the 430 to go there. The Val I just tune and I get a bearing. It just won?t work on the 430 until I tell I to go direct to the VOR. I?m setting the OBS to vor, off gps. I?m tuning the correct frequency?s, weird. It?s not a problem, I can check my VORs it?s just bugging me, what am I doing wrong? Any of you 430 guys know what I?m doing wrong?

Check the 430 is in VOR mode

I have a Skyview as well. There is a good chance you need to make sure the 430 is in VOR mode (not GPS) depending on how you assigned outputs. If BRG 1 is assigned to the VOR/ILS output of the 430 over the ARINC channel, the needle should show bearing to the VOR station any time the 430 is tuned to a VOR within range. You do not have to be navigating with the VOR.

Answer to question

Richard,

Email me at [email protected] and I will give you my phone number and will talk you through a few checks that might fix it. I have done a few installs with the SkyView and 430 so, I have some experience with it.

If you tell the 430 to go direct to the VOR, then you are in the GPS mode, and not the VOR/LOC mode, so that is not displaying the VOR receiver's bearing and not checking out the GOR receiver.

First though, check your ARINC settings for the 430 in SkyView. Dynon SkyView 15.3 install manual pages 12-7 and 12-8.

SkyView Settings

SETUP MENU > SYSTEM SETUP > ARINC-429: (Configure MODULE 1 and MODULE 2 independently)
> INPUT SPEED: HIGH
> INPUT 1: GPS x
> NAVIGATION SOURCE DISP NAME: (user selectable, 7 characters. The name entered here is displayed as the HSI source and the Flight Plan Source (if this device outputs a flight plan).
> INPUT 2: NAV x
> NAVIGATION SOURCE DISP NAME: (user selectable, 7 characters. The name entered here is displayed as the HSI source and the Flight Plan Source (if this device outputs a flight plan).
> OUTPUT SPEED: HIGH
> ALLOW AUTO SWITCH: YES (LABEL 100P)

For the Val. Check the serial port settings.

On SkyView • SETUP MENU > SYSTEM SETUP > SERIAL PORT SETUP > SERIAL PORT x SETUP > SERIAL IN DEVICE > VAL AVIONICS NAV 2000. This will automatically set the SERIAL IN/OUT BAUD RATE and SERIAL OUT DEVICE.
• Set SERIAL IN FUNCTION TO NAV 1, 2, 3, or 4. If the NAV 2000 is the only NAV device, select NAV 1.
• Set NAVIGATION SOURCE DISPLAY NAME: (user selectable, 7 characters – suggest NAV2000). The name entered here is displayed as the HSI source and the Flight Plan Source (if this device outputs a flight plan).

The big thing to check in the ARINC INPUT 2 which should say something like NAV 1 and Serial IN Function for the VAL something like NAV 2. If you did an update, etc, they might have changed or cleared. If there is not a NAV input, then it will not display anything on the SkyView screen.

If that does not fix it, email me so I can call you to help out.

Brian

Last edited:
Thanks Guys

I already checked my setting as per Dynon. But I will check again to make sure they are as you state Brian. Give me a few days to get back out to the airport and check. Then I will email you with my findings.

Thanks again

Richard

Back