What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

List of items in the SkyView kit

olegusan

Hi all,

Does anyone have a list of all the items included into the SkyView kit for RV-12?

I have attempted to put it together myself but ended up with about $3000 worth of unaccounted components.

Maybe someone who recently bought the Skyview subkit can send me a picture or a scan of the pack list?

Best wishes,
Oleg

Avionics kit

There is a list on the order form at Vans website, but it really only tells half the story. Apart from all the necessary Skyview modules, there is the AV5000 module, (not a Dynon component) a little box of electrical wizardry that everything connects to. There are coms and transponder antennae, all wiring harnesses. Also the ignition switch module, fuse module and fuses. The locator beacon and antenna.
Also all the hardware, including any parts upgrades that may be needed due to kit changes that may have occurred since you ordered fuse/finish kits. For example I received the upgrade centre and right panels, and the modified baggage floors.
It is a complete package, plug and play.
Hope this helps. I could probably put it in a pile and email you a pic if you like.
Cheers, Dave Hastwell

Hope I didn't make it sound more exciting than it really is. As far as I know, it's a two piece section to provide access to the adahrs unit on garmin installations. There may be more to it, but someone smarter than me would have to explain.:confused;)
DaveH

Hope I didn't make it sound more exciting than it really is. As far as I know, it's a two piece section to provide access to the adahrs unit on garmin installations. There may be more to it, but someone smarter than me would have to explain.:confused;)
DaveH

That covers it.
The ADHRS for the G3X option mounts under the baggage floor.

Thanks for your reply guys,

I'm trying to compile a list of all avionics components required for the plane if I choose to go DIY path.
The list of parts included into the VANs package looks like a good starting point.

I'm evaluating an idea to save money by building the avionics set myself with secondhand Dynon modules and/or modules from other manufacturers (MGL, GRT, etc)

So far it looks like the VANs Dynon Skyview kit is the best value for money.
Anyway, I'm not in a hurry, so I'll keep trying....

Cheers,
Oleg

I have the old D180/120 combo, but my experience is that it's best to just buy the Vans package if you want minimum hassle.

I don't have the list for the skyview system but I do for the g3x system which will give you the idea of all the extra things that are in avionics kit other than the avionics boxes. The big $$$ items you are missing from your list on your website are the AV-50000A and AV-50001 as well as the antennas and harnesses. Plus there are a lot of little bits that all add up.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mjails97gugvza7/PDF007.PDF?dl=0

If you want to do your own thing do it for the right reasons. If you really want to install an alternative system to what Vans provide then go for it but understand that it will take longer to install. I dont think you will save much money if you install exactly the same system as Vans provide by buying the parts separately.

check out the G3X

Before you make a purchase check the pricing of the Garmin pkg. also the premade wire harnesses are of a great quality and good investment and time savings

Back